Flashing security light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmudd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Security light suddenly came on and totally shut down truck. Won't start and gauges not coming on. Dash lights flash quickly when turning key.

OP
OP
M

mrmudd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Flashing security light came on all of a sudden. Truck won't start no dash . You turn the key all you get is a quick flash of the dash lights. Have disconnected the battery but that don't work. Any ideas?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
BEFORE U DO ALL THIS, CHECK BATTERY, IF POSSIBLE USE ANOTHER VEHICLE BATTERY THAT U KNOW IS GOOD, NOT BY JUMPING..

Some things U can try from another fix dodge forum:

Some how the security/alarm got activated there's a security…
Some how the security/alarm got activated there's a security light #14 on the cluster it flashes and now I can't start my truck?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?

It blinks, and I don't know how to reset it, manual doesn't say how to

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2003 dodge ram 1500 with a 5.7 hemi

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes can't afford to take it in. replaced my battery because I thought it went bad

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don't know what else to tell him

Share this conversation
2015-7-7_172556_onnieew.64x64.png
Answered in 12 minutes by:
1/31/2019
Dodge Mechanic: Ron
Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Sorry to hear you are having problems today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need. The Web Site will prompt a phone call , I'll let you know if it's needed.

Ask Your Own Dodge Question

ok, thank you

On your 2003 Ram 1500, the alarm system can be disarmed two ways, one is to lock and unlock the driver's door with a factory key and the other way is with a key FOB by locking and unlocking the doors. Give this a try and let me know the results.

the truck isn't at my house I had to haved it towed to my girlfriends mechanics business loti tried both of those things already neither worked

Okay, when you have access to it try the procedure I mentioned and if you have no problem with the lock it should disarm. If it does not and you are using a factory key, then you may have a problem with the lock cylinder and if that is the cases I have enclosed the steps in the link below to check this if that is the case.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lu3fhgodzgwf0uv/cylinder lock Jan 31.pdf?dl=0

ok but i have some more info for you on how all of this started

Sure, post it and let me have a look at it.

ok i was in a store shopping, came out unlocked my truck with the fob, door opened went to start it and nothing so i thought i had a dead battery because of the artic cold, went into walmart and bought a battery, put it in got in the truck to start it and nothing, thats when that red security light started flashing so i turned the key on to try and start it then several of the lights on my cluster started blinking simultaneaously about 5 or 6 times then they all went off and my head lights flashed on a couple of times to, tried to start it and nothing. thought you might need all of the info on what happened

Okay, one other thing you can try because the battery was removed is to disconnect both battery cables and momentarily touch them togather to reset all module s and then reconnect them and then use your key to lock and unlock the door and then see if it will start.

ok how long should i hold them together? 5, 10, seconds?

Yes, 5 to 10 seconds will do it.

ok thank you, ***** ***** let you know how it works out, thanks for your help

Your very welcome and thank you as well.

Last edited: