Flashing Trans selector - WTH does it mean

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I have the 44-45 BorgWarner transfercase non auto select and my TCS is automatically turned OFF in 4WD LO

If you have a scanner thats able to look at CAN bus settings you will see the algorithm compilation commands for successful operations and non successful.
TCS is turned off in 4 low in every Ram and Jeep product I have driven in the past 10 years. The heavy duty pickups have a button that will allow partial or complete defeat of TCS in 4 high.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
TCS is turned off in 4 low in every Ram and Jeep product I have driven in the past 10 years. The heavy duty pickups have a button that will allow partial or complete defeat of TCS in 4 high.
I have that switch too but not partial only on or off , did you mean passive and non passive ?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I have that switch too but not partial only on or off , did you mean passive and non passive ?
Nope. If you read your manual it will tell you that one push is a partial defeat. If you hold that button down from 5 to 10 seconds, depends on the model, it will turn TCS completely off. Most Evic unfortunately looks the same with partial or full defeat.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Nope. If you read your manual it will tell you that one push is a partial defeat. If you hold that button down from 5 to 10 seconds, depends on the model, it will turn TCS completely off. Most Evic unfortunately looks the same with partial or full defeat.
Are your chimes differential in Partial than in Off ?
Sounds like partial is part of snowplow mode ?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In Ram's case it was a matter of liability. They had at least one case of a customer doing that, and the truck ran over and killed him.
IT was the Star Trek Actor, Chekov, on the new Star Trek with Chris Pine. He had like a Cherokee, and it ended up pinning him against a gate/wall area and he died. That's when all this auto park BS started. I hate it, but I sure as heck can understand why they did it. That wasn't the only person, but he was the most Celebrity Visible Person.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
IT was the Star Trek Actor, Chekov, on the new Star Trek with Chris Pine. He had like a Cherokee, and it ended up pinning him against a gate/wall area and he died. That's when all this auto park BS started. I hate it, but I sure as heck can understand why they did it. That wasn't the only person, but he was the most Celebrity Visible Person.
Yes, I've heard of the actor. I also heard of a guy in a car lot or junkyard doing a similar thing. Heard that from a dealer.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Right. Accidents happen. Some are deadly. People slip on the ice, fall off ladders, shoot their foot with their own gun, drive stupid, put wrong fuel in vehicles, ride on old tires, drive drunk ..stuff is going to happen when you have enough vehicles/drivers out there. A handfull of people a yr pinning themselves due to not putting into park doesn't constitute reason to make everyone 'suffer' (IMO).

Some of the new driver aids can just about get you INTO an accident. Like swerving to avoid an object on the road (or wild animal) ...and the car's lane-keep 'fights' you to keep you in the lane (that's happened to me before), and by the time you overcome the steering to miss the object, you end up swerving way more than you intended. I can see how lane-keep will cause accidents.

Guess I'm showing my age with these nanny-control so-called features.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Right. Accidents happen. Some are deadly. People slip on the ice, fall off ladders, shoot their foot with their own gun, drive stupid, put wrong fuel in vehicles, ride on old tires, drive drunk ..stuff is going to happen when you have enough vehicles/drivers out there. A handfull of people a yr pinning themselves due to not putting into park doesn't constitute reason to make everyone 'suffer' (IMO).

Some of the new driver aids can just about get you INTO an accident. Like swerving to avoid an object on the road (or wild animal) ...and the car's lane-keep 'fights' you to keep you in the lane (that's happened to me before), and by the time you overcome the steering to miss the object, you end up swerving way more than you intended. I can see how lane-keep will cause accidents.

Guess I'm showing my age with these nanny-control so-called features.
I's just an old frazzled BOIRD, with a low end Bighorn. Not got all them fancy drive BS, lane BS, etc. The only thing that would be nice would be the lil lane occupied warning. Other than that, just a lowly Bighorn w/o even the Sirius 911 BS. Not need all that stuff, because in the end, the drivetrain and engine is the same as the high end trucks w/o all the added stuff. No sunroof either, wat for, LMAO. BUT I do understand why they went with the auto stop feature ref door open. IF I was doing a lot of towing, I would get with Brandon -W and get the switch setup to lock up all the clutches on a 1500. Heck, I do not even have the TSC stuff can not turn system off all the way unless in 4LO, TX here, not many reasons to go to 4LO, lol. But I get how U feel JEEP.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Glad you got it confirmed and figured out. You might be the first to post it from what I found yesterday.
On to the next challenge.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
"A handfull of people a yr pinning themselves due to not putting into park doesn't constitute reason to make everyone 'suffer' (IMO)."

I agree with everything you said except the above opinion. Our litigious society, with its huge monetary penalties, Ram could be sued out of business. Reason enough for Ram's actions.

No one needs to suffer. There are those that need it and a simple workaround for those that don't want it.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
"A handfull of people a yr pinning themselves due to not putting into park doesn't constitute reason to make everyone 'suffer' (IMO)."

I agree with everything you said except the above opinion. Our litigious society, with its huge monetary penalties, Ram could be sued out of business. Reason enough for Ram's actions.

No one needs to suffer. There are those that need it and a simple workaround for those that don't want it.
We are messing with Darwins law. When the truly stupid are so protected they no longer die from their bad choices, they breed and make even stupider than they were. Mendels law of genetics is no longer popular but it still applies none the less.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
We are messing with Darwins law. When the truly stupid are so protected they no longer die from their bad choices, they breed and make even stupider than they were. Mendels law of genetics is no longer popular but it still applies none the less.
I hope everyone understands and remembers that when they vote next November. :waytogo:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
@John Jensen
i see that you also have a 2016 Ram eco diesel

When is your Ram due for DMV Renewal ?

I just received my renewal form, it was due January 16th
I went to a Registration place here in town
I paid for the registration, but it read MAIL IN ONLY

The thing is, DMV wants the dealership to sign a statement that the Urgent Safety Recall V08 / CSN U07 has been completed

The Carl Burger dealership just told me that Chrysler was so far back ordered with the recall, they would not even guess when the recall would be done

on an eco-diesel forum, some people from Cali were discussing it, but i did not see where the DMV was holding the Registration or allowing owners to drive their eco-diesel

FCA gave a number to call 1-800-853-1403

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Mine is due in March. I had the V08 completed last year on 5/5/20 at Perry in National City. You should give them a call, they may or may not be on B/O there.

I'm registered in a no smog zip code, not sure if that makes a difference.

Yeah, those guys who posted have never posted back about the outcome. One said the DMV gal said he had to park his truck until he could comply. Doesn't make sense.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
ESC Operating Info. Your owners manual has a whole bunch more info in it on the various traction control like electronic limited slip, BDS etc. Well worth the read.

ESC Operating Modes

Depending upon model and mode of operation,

the ESC system may have multiple operating

modes.

ESC On

This is the normal operating mode for the ESC.

Whenever the vehicle is started, the ESC system

will be in this mode. This mode should be used

for most driving conditions. Alternate ESC

modes should only be used for specific reasons

as noted in the following paragraphs.

Partial Off

This mode may be useful if the vehicle becomes

stuck. This mode may modify TCS and ESC

thresholds for activation, which allows for more

wheel spin than normally allowed.

To enter the “Partial Off” mode, momentarily

push the ESC OFF button and the ESC OFF

Indicator Light will illuminate. To turn the ESC

on again, momentarily push the ESC OFF button

and the ESC OFF Indicator Light will turn off.

NOTE:

For vehicles with multiple partial ESC modes,

the push and release of the button will toggle

the ESC modes. Multiple attempts may be

required to return to "ESC On" mode.

Full Off — If Equipped

This mode is intended for off-highway or

off-road use only and should not be used on any

public roadways. In this mode, TCS and ESC

features are turned off. To enter the “Full Off”

mode, push and hold the ESC OFF button for

five seconds while the vehicle is stopped with

the engine running. After five seconds, a chime

will sound, the ESC OFF Indicator Light will

illuminate, and the “ESC OFF” message will

display in the instrument cluster. To turn ESC on

again, momentarily push the ESC OFF button.

NOTE:

System may switch from ESC “Full Off” to

“Partial Off” mode when vehicle exceeds a

predetermined speed. When the vehicle speed

slows below the predetermined speed the

system will return to ESC “Full Off”.

ESC modes may also be affected by drive

modes (if equipped).

ESC Activation/Malfunction Indicator Light

And ESC OFF Indicator Light

The ESC Activation/Malfunction

Indicator Light in the instrument

cluster will come on when the ignition

is placed in the ON/RUN mode. It

should go out with the engine running. If the

ESC Activation/Malfunction Indicator Light

comes on continuously with the engine running,

a malfunction has been detected in the ESC

system. If this light remains on after several

ignition cycles, and the vehicle has been driven

several miles (kilometers) at speeds greater

than 30 mph (48 km/h), see an authorized

dealer as soon as possible to have the problem

diagnosed and corrected.

The ESC Activation/Malfunction Indicator Light

(located in the instrument cluster) starts to

flash as soon as the tires lose traction and the

ESC system becomes active. The ESC

Activation/Malfunction Indicator Light also

flashes when TCS is active. If the ESC

Activation/Malfunction Indicator Light begins to

flash during acceleration, ease up on the

accelerator and apply as little throttle as

possible. Be sure to adapt your speed and

driving to the prevailing road conditions.

WARNING!

l When in “Partial Off” mode, the TCS functionality

of ESC, except for the limited slip

feature described in the TCS section, has

been disabled and the ESC OFF Indicator

Light will be illuminated. When in “Partial

Off” mode, the engine power reduction

feature of TCS is disabled, and the

enhanced vehicle stability offered by the

ESC system is reduced.

l Trailer Sway Control (TSC) is disabled when

the ESC system is in the “Partial Off” mode.

WARNING!

l In the ESC “Full Off” mode, the engine torque

reduction and stability features are disabled.

Therefore, enhanced vehicle stability offered

by the ESC system is unavailable. In an emergency

evasive maneuver, the ESC system will

not engage to assist in maintaining stability.

ESC “Full Off” mode is intended for

off-highway or off-road use only.

l The Electronic Stability Control (ESC) cannot

prevent the natural laws of physics from

acting on the vehicle, nor can it increase the

traction afforded by prevailing road conditions.

ESC cannot prevent all accidents,

including those resulting from excessive

speed in turns, driving on very slippery

surfaces, or hydroplaning. ESC also cannot

prevent collisions.

The ESC OFF Indicator Light indicates

that the Electronic Stability Control

(ESC) is in a reduced mode.

NOTE:

l The ESC Activation/Malfunction Indicator

Light and the ESC OFF Indicator Light come

on momentarily each time the ignition is

placed in the ON position.

l Each time the ignition is placed in the ON

position, the ESC system will be on even if it

was turned off previously.

l The ESC system will make buzzing or clicking

sounds when it is active. This is normal; the

sounds will stop when ESC becomes inactive

following the maneuver that caused the ESC

activation.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
It things like this that makes me think sometimes we’re living in a parallel universe

Last edited:

Terry Nemitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Your transfer case is clutch operated. My guess is pulling out that car while it was in park overheated the case. Especially if later all is working fine (because the case cooled down?). Just a thought.

Sounds like you use 4WD a lot. You may want to consider the plug & play mod that allows you to lock up the case clutches, so it acts like a no slip case. I put one on my 2016, and it makes a world of difference when needed.
Pease post more information about the "Plug & Play Mod to lock up the transfer Case Clutches"

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pease post more information about the "Plug & Play Mod to lock up the transfer Case Clutches"
SEARCH the threads here, look up BRANDON-W. He makes them and sells them, or at least he did.

Adam E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like you use 4WD a lot. You may want to consider the plug & play mod that allows you to lock up the case clutches, so it acts like a no slip case. I put one on my 2016, and it makes a world of difference when needed.
This is not something I've heard of before though I've very interested! Do you have a link or name of the device?

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963