Flaws of the Pentastar 3.6L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
10 million engines. Wow! Marspeed is pretty prolific on mopar vehicles. I have watched many of his videos.

He made a statement around 4:38. That got my attention. My 2018 truck still has flexfuel capability. It's the most powerful version of the 3.6L so I don't know what to think.

"2016 saw an updated version of the 3.6 liter engine that was released for various models with two stage veriable valve lift or VVL a cooled egr, new intake manifold with fuel injectors and ignition coils and upgrades to the VVT system. These upgrades made things alot more efficient but did cause the engine to loose the flexfuel capibility."

Has anyone confirmed this claim? Was it just on Non RAM models?

Here's a guy that really does a puff piece. But It was interesting to watch anyway.

Last edited:

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
10 million engines. Wow! Marspeed is pretty prolific on mopar vehicles. I have watched many of his videos.

He made a statement around 4:38. That got my attention. My 2018 truck still has flexfuel capability. It's the most powerful version of the 3.6L so I don't know what to think.

"2016 saw an updated version of the 3.6 liter engine that was released for various models with two stage veriable valve lift or VVL a cooled egr, new intake manifold with fuel injectors and ignition coils and upgrades to the VVT system. These upgrades made things alot more efficient but did cause the engine to loose the flexfuel capibility."

Has anyone confirmed this claim? Was it just on Non RAM models?
Our 2020 JGC with the 3.6 is non flex fuel so it’s a possibility.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Cool video, but out of it's 11 minutes is 9 minutes of fluff IMO.

Everyone knows about the cyl head problems early on with them.

9min on talks about the rocker arm issue which is more common and typically found on engines with extended oil changes.

Basically no mention of the oil filter housing leaks, but the oil cooler was briefly mentioned, which is the same assembly.

It's not the best engine in the world, but it's great in a Ram 1500 and given the number of them in commercial use these days, I think we're going to see more and more of them with 300+ K miles on them as time goes on.