Flickering LED map light FIXED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
**This only applies to the trucks that are equipped with the LED package.**

I, like many others, have had map light problems with the stock LEDs. Flickering, not working at all, or lighting up about half brightness.
Everyone says "this is not a servicable part, get the whole console replaced under warranty". Well I replaced my LEDs with aftermarket LEDs from superbrightleds and let me tell you, it was not impossible, they work flawless, look stock, same color, and much brighter.

The bulb # to get is 194. You do not need canbus.

Once you get the entire console down from the ceiling:
The first step would be to cut the little rubber pegs off holding the chrome housing piece to the console. Below is a pic of the peg topper that have been cut off (using a box cutter) as well as the chrome housing and the original led board already removed.

aajccy.jpg

Once you have that done the led board will separate from the chrome housing with 3 little clips.

33ynk8g.jpg

After that, install your new led to the console as seen in the first pic.
I would plug the console at this time to check for the correct polarity.

Last step (no pics) would be to attach the chrome piece back to the console just like it was before, except without the led board underneath obviously. I read somewhere about putting in screws but that's unnecessary. Just place the chrome piece where it was before and put a little dab of super glue over the plastic peg and reattach the little plastic topper/peg that you cut off before. This worked flawlessly for me.

Now if you want to skip this step and keep the chrome piece off, you technically could. It would be MUCH brighter without this piece but much less aesthetically pleasing as you would be able to look up and see the LED. However it will still function properly either way.

Finished product:
aa9kj5.jpg

14uzbb.jpg

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the post!. My LED drives me nuts on the drivers side. I am going to give this a shot before I buy a new one console.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Good post. For those interested this is how you can convert to the non-LED reflector too. They are identical except for the pieces mentioned in this how to.

I have a spare parts overhead console with the non-LED reflectors (cone shaped) if you want them. You can have them for free if you pay shipping or live in the St. Louis area...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

saintsreturn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
EcoDiesel
How many of us have to complain before we get the recall we are due for this? I asked them to fix mine and they didn't even turn the light on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Padre675

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman Crew
Engine
4.7L V8 FFV
Did you have any problems getting the chrome piece back on over the led? Mine has a big lump of plastic or whatever that was focusing the factory led to the side. This sucks up too fast for me to get the chrome reflector back on over the new led.

Padre675

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman Crew
Engine
4.7L V8 FFV
46ba74766fe4f70d3224a329aa431325.jpg this is what I'm talking about

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
46ba74766fe4f70d3224a329aa431325.jpg this is what I'm talking about

You don't want to remove that lens unless you swap to the non-LED reflector. I would recommend a shallower 194 bulb, maybe one that has only forward facing LEDs.

In my opinion, the light spread given by that lens is much better than the reflector of the non-LED overhead console.

OP
OP
Ram Man

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Mine didnt have that.

Padre675

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman Crew
Engine
4.7L V8 FFV
You don't want to remove that lens unless you swap to the non-LED reflector. I would recommend a shallower 194 bulb, maybe one that has only forward facing LEDs.

In my opinion, the light spread given by that lens is much better than the reflector of the non-LED overhead console.

Thanks, I'll have to check for a shorter LED, the ones I have will go in the license plate lights I guess. Question, will Non-Can Bus leds through an error in the overhead?

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks, I'll have to check for a shorter LED, the ones I have will go in the license plate lights I guess. Question, will Non-Can Bus leds through an error in the overhead?
In my 2014, I've used the Cutequeen brand LEDs in every light that's not meant to flash or be a headlight with zero errors. That being said, the lights in your overhead are already LED so I think you can get away with any LED that fits. CANBUS errors normally occur when you change the type of bulb (i.e. incandescent to LED).

Here is their lowest profile but you may be able to get away with a larger lightbulb depending on how much space you need. All of the diodes face forward on this bulb.

Cutequeen 10PCS LED Car Lights Bulb White T10 2835 4-SMD 80 Lumens 194 168 (pack of 10) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EPA7CZC/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_YYU.wb6SGJ1YQ

blazenlo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome thread! Thanks!! I hate dealing with the stealership.:favorites13:

bubbasneed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for this post Ram Man, I had the flickering LED and it was driving me crazy. I didn't want to buy a new console since I am out of warranty.

This solution worked perfectly, and cost $14.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the time you tool to make this post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
led

thanks for the post. I did this and works with door open and switch on dash but pushing them to turn one on at a time doesn't work. anyone else have that problem?

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine don't seem to flicker at all. I guess I am just lucky.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
update

I guess as soon as I started it up the map lights work with push now. must of timed out or something when putting them in my bad! They work even better than stock led! anyone have a suggestion to replace the back seat one above window? still works fine but would like them all to match. I looked at it and only a led on a circuit board no where to plug a 194 in.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess as soon as I started it up the map lights work with push now. must of timed out or something when putting them in my bad! They work even better than stock led! anyone have a suggestion to replace the back seat one above window? still works fine but would like them all to match. I looked at it and only a led on a circuit board no where to plug a 194 in.

This

Ran into the same thing.