Flow formed wheels in ram 1500 fitment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Guys,

Has anyone found any manufacturers who make flow formed lightweight wheels in fitments for the ram?

Ideally I'm looking for 18 x 8 in the 24-27lb range -12 to 0 offset to use with 275/70/18 tires. 8.5 would be fine too, but i'm looking for light so why go wider.

I currently have moto metal 970s in 20x9's +0 which weigh 32lbs - they were the lightest I could find when I bought them, but they're regular cast wheels.

Both Enkei and Black Rhino make wheels that fit the specs I want but don't offer them in our bolt pattern and don't see enough demand to build it (I've asked).

Any other manufacturers? Staying away from full forged - too expensive.

In case anyone is looking, Black Rhino does make their Chase wheel in 17,18 & 20 x9.5 +0 offset, 5x139.7 wheel that weights 30,29, 31 lbs respectively.

Thanks,

James

Last edited:

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can't help you at all, but I really like the look of those wheels you linked to. :D

OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’d just buy forged before I do all that.
But again $$$$

Probably end up with the black rhino ones or just stay with moto

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Look on cjcoffroad and also aev makes a 1500 wheel that are light weight.

OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I may end up with these, some hubcentric rings and re-drill my hubs.
Local machine shop has quoted me ~$50-70/corner to re-drill hubs and axles.

Black Rhino Aliso in 18x9 +12 5x150. my current wheels are 20x9+0

I'll drop 6lbs/wheel compared to my 20x9 and gain an inch of sidewall while I'm at it. Tires are a wash weight wise.

Same load rating 2500lbs, but theoretically Flow Formed should be stronger than cast around the barrel anyway.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I may end up with these, some hubcentric rings and re-drill my hubs.
Local machine shop has quoted me ~$50-70/corner to re-drill hubs and axles.

Black Rhino Aliso in 18x9 +12 5x150. my current wheels are 20x9+0

I'll drop 6lbs/wheel compared to my 20x9 and gain an inch of sidewall while I'm at it. Tires are a wash weight wise.

Same load rating 2500lbs, but theoretically Flow Formed should be stronger than cast around the barrel anyway.
Redrilling the hubs/axles to a more common bolt pattern is still fairly cheap isn't it,lol. When you have the axles out,it'd be a good time to clean up and lube the hell out of the rear parking brake assembly,as the linkage has been known to get rusty .

OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Redrilling the hubs/axles to a more common bolt pattern is still fairly cheap isn't it,lol. When you have the axles out,it'd be a good time to clean up and lube the hell out of the rear parking brake assembly,as the linkage has been known to get rusty .
That, replace my rear outer axle bearings, and get some redline in the diffs.

I was looking at Toyo at3’s and they would drop an additional 5lbs over the radar renegade rt tires I have now, for a total of 11lbs dropped per corner! :eek::driver:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Buy blanks from either
Enkei or Black Rhino

Then find a machine shop to machine the pattern for Ram

You ought to see all the Blank Wheels on semi trucks that come out of Baja California, chances are they are all headed to Los Angeles for drilling & polishing.

Ancient History
( when i was building my '56 Chevy 1/2 ton back in the late 1970s
i changed my 390 ratio GM differential with a 330 ratio Ford truck rear end.
The problem was the axles for a Ford won't fit Chevy wheels
I took the Ford & Chevy axles to a little known machine shop that did mostly work for race cars that ran our 3/8ths mile track.
He actually welded up the axle holes & re-drilled them to fit my Chevy.
He did it cheap, because it was a challenge to him.
I gave him all the time that he needed, he was my only option at the time.
These days, you just make a call or go online & there are axles at your garage in a week )

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Buy blanks from either
Enkei or Black Rhino

Then find a machine shop to machine the pattern for Ram

( when i was building my '56 Chevy 1/2 ton back in the late 1970s
i changed my 390 ratio GM differential with a 330 ratio Ford truck rear end.
The problem was the axles for a Ford won't fit Chevy wheels
I took the Ford & Chevy axles to a little known machine shop that did mostly work for race cars that ran our 3/8ths mile track.
He actually welded up the axle holes & re-drilled them to fit my Chevy.
He did it cheap, because it was a challenge to him.
I gave him all the time that he needed, he was my only option at the time.
These days, you just make a call or go online & there are axles at your garage in a week )
Back before you could easily get custom axles,it was fairly common to re-drill axles and brake drums to a more common bolt pattern or to one that matched the front bolt pattern

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I redrilled my ford axles for GM pattern with a conversion billet wheel adapter as a template. Pulled in new studs and called it a day... never even took the axles out. I used a Ebrake hole to fish in the new stud from the back.

Unless I'm missing something what's the point to shaving 7lbs off the wheel weight? How much of a performance gain? What's the intended purpose? I get on a light race car thats looking for max power or autoX but end of the day this is a 6k truck not a race car lol. Other options could be aluminum hat rotors to help drop some weight plus you get the benefit of better rotors more than likely.

Honestly with my 22" hellcat replica wheels and 285 rubber the overall wheel weight is heavier with the hellcats but feels faster than the OEM rims and tire combo.

OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I redrilled my ford axles for GM pattern with a conversion billet wheel adapter as a template. Pulled in new studs and called it a day... never even took the axles out. I used a Ebrake hole to fish in the new stud from the back.

Unless I'm missing something what's the point to shaving 7lbs off the wheel weight? How much of a performance gain? What's the intended purpose? I get on a light race car thats looking for max power or autoX but end of the day this is a 6k truck not a race car lol. Other options could be aluminum hat rotors to help drop some weight plus you get the benefit of better rotors more than likely.

Honestly with my 22" hellcat replica wheels and 285 rubber the overall wheel weight is heavier with the hellcats but feels faster than the OEM rims and tire combo.
For me the main reason is I want different wheel and tires. I have 20’s and hybrid tires; I’ll be going to 18’s and AT tires.

So given I’m going to get new wheels and tires regardless, I want to get as efficient of a setup as I can (without getting crazy with cost, or sacrificing strength).

A 9lb (9.2%) per corner weight reduction (more if the at3’s balance better, I have almost a lb of weights but I’m not incorporating that) plus bringing the weight distribution closer to the center of the wheel (wheel barrel being ~9” out vs ~10,” and yes I know there will be more sidewall weight… this is all theory), will result in reduced moment of inertia (I=MR^2, I’m reducing both M and R), so should be a more efficient use of power and torque for the truck (better mpg)).

But with all that being said, back to point 1… I just want new wheels and tires lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tires I’m considering are (in weight order):
Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT C rated ~ 50lbs, 15/32 (76lbs, -11lbs/12.6%), $1250
Nitto Terra Grappler G2 E rated ~ 16/32, 53lbs (79lbs tot, -8lbs/9.2%) $1289
Cooper AT3 XLT E rated ~ 16/32, 54lbs (80lbs tot, -7lbs/8.0%), $1249
Goodyear Duratrac D rated ~ 18/32, 54lbs (80lbs tot, -7lbs/8%), $1239
Goodyear Ultraterrain E rated ~ 18/32, 55lbs (81lbs tot, -6lbs/6.9%) $1261

Current tires are Radar Renegade RT ~ 55lbs (LT275/60/20) (87lbs total), LT275/70/18 would weigh 60lb (86lbs tot, -1lb/1.15%), $1175 (geeez I paid $800 installed).

After seeing Tire Rack Testing, Coopers seem to be near the top of their reviews, no review for the g2 s or Ultraterrain.

I feel only the Goodyears are as aggressive as I hope for, but realize they probably have the highest rolling resistance too.

It’s taking a lot for me to get over my bias against Firestone from their 90’s reputation. Their sidewall design is meh… but them being lightest is appealing.

FYI when looking on tirerack comparing tires, IMO do not go by the colorful Ratings charts as they are consumer opinion ratings. Instead Tire Rack has a Research & Advice section where they publish test result. These results are often drastically different.

Toyo AT3's are a great example - rated 3rd in consumer reviews but they tested terribly in almost every category but dry braking.

Last edited:

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
For me the main reason is I want different wheel and tires. I have 20’s and hybrid tires; I’ll be going to 18’s and AT tires.

So given I’m going to get new wheels and tires regardless, I want to get as efficient of a setup as I can (without getting crazy with cost, or sacrificing strength).

A 9lb (9.2%) per corner weight reduction (more if the at3’s balance better, I have almost a lb of weights but I’m not incorporating that) plus bringing the weight distribution closer to the center of the wheel (wheel barrel being ~9” out vs ~10,” and yes I know there will be more sidewall weight… this is all theory), will result in reduced moment of inertia (I=MR^2, I’m reducing both M and R), so should be a more efficient use of power and torque for the truck (better mpg)).

But with all that being said, back to point 1… I just want new wheels and tires lol
Gotcha. However the increased wheel weight has a positive affect on rotational mass which helps keep you moving with less throttle input which actually helps with fuel efficiency. You loose a smidge more getting up to speed as your trying to accelerate more mass but once its up to speed the mass makes it coast easier and longer. Its alot like a lightweight flywheel or flexplate... allows the motor to spin faster but you loose momentum and mass on the shift.

I agree though, dropping weight has other positives but the cost per $$ just isn't there. Since you want new wheels/tires so bad anyways it wouldn't hurt and by all means!

OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Gotcha. However the increased wheel weight has a positive affect on rotational mass which helps keep you moving with less throttle input which actually helps with fuel efficiency. You loose a smidge more getting up to speed as your trying to accelerate more mass but once its up to speed the mass makes it coast easier and longer. Its alot like a lightweight flywheel or flexplate... allows the motor to spin faster but you loose momentum and mass on the shift.

I agree though, dropping weight has other positives but the cost per $$ just isn't there. Since you want new wheels/tires so bad anyways it wouldn't hurt and by all means!
Yeah I wouldn’t swap just to lose weight. Like you said, dropping weight helps in every instance where there is a change of energy; acceleration, deceleration, steering. I agree for highway driving it’s really a moot point.

I have Moto Metal mo970’s and they’re just a super popular wheel and I’m bored with them. Plus 20”->18” to gain sidewall for off road scenarios and aesthetics.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah I wouldn’t swap just to lose weight. Like you said, dropping weight helps in every instance where there is a change of energy; acceleration, deceleration, steering. I agree for highway driving it’s really a moot point.

I have Moto Metal mo970’s and they’re just a super popular wheel and I’m bored with them. Plus 20”->18” to gain sidewall for off road scenarios and aesthetics.
Mickey Thompson builds a fairly light 17 X 9 in polished or black for the 5 X 5.5 bolt pattern . They're roughly 24 lbs,i use them for my drag radials,and are relatively cheap,and easy to keep clean

OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mickey Thompson builds a fairly light 17 X 9 in polished or black for the 5 X 5.5 bolt pattern . They're roughly 24 lbs,i use them for my drag radials,and are relatively cheap,and easy to keep clean

Nice wheels… I thought about going to 17’s but I think I wanna stay 18’s. Plus they’re -12 offset. I’d prefer to stay at 0 - +12.

I wanna get Black Rhino Aliso in 18x9, but they’re +10 offset which will put the rear edge 4.7mm inward compared to stock 18x8 +18. But that should be ok, I’ll have to measure.

*edit- others have 18x9 +18 with 275’s fitting.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963