Flowmaster 50 series HD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rczerwin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New member here, 1st post...
Got my 1st RAM a month ago, 2014 Sport, crew cab, 5.7, 8 speed, 3:92.

2 weeks ago I put on a Flowmaster 50 series HD (part# 817568), kept both resonators on. Engine start up, at idle & accelerating through all 8 gears sounds great.

When cruising at ~1700-1800 RPM I get a fairly noticeable/irritating drone in the cab. I tried dis-engaging the MDS by downshifting & drone is still present. The sound from the MDS turning on is distinctively different from the drone produced with MDS off... From what I researched removing the resonators will just make the drone worse & exhaust louder. However, has anyone tried moving the resonators closer to the tailpipes or back closer to the muffler???

Any suggestions are appreciated.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

2 weeks ago I put on a Flowmaster 50 series HD (part# 817568), kept both resonators on. Engine start up, at idle & accelerating through all 8 gears sounds great.

When cruising at ~1700-1800 RPM I get a fairly noticeable/irritating drone in the cab. I tried dis-engaging the MDS by downshifting & drone is still present. The sound from the MDS turning on is distinctively different from the drone produced with MDS off... From what I researched removing the resonators will just make the drone worse & exhaust louder. However, has anyone tried moving the resonators closer to the tailpipes or back closer to the muffler???

Welcome to Flowmaster mufflers and MDS Hemis. Its the nature of these mufflers. Chambered design tends to increase drone. The resonators will only amplify that if you remove them. Best best is maybe try a 'packed' style muffler. Flowmasters are great for sound, but these newer VVT Hemi's tend to drone in certain gears and RPMs.

Alfonsio

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

When I bought my truck (used) it had a flowmaster on it and the drone was insane. I replaced it with a Heartthrob Vortex. Drone-b-gone! Its still all business from behind and quiet on the inside now.

OP
OP
R

rczerwin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I talked to Flowmaster a week ago, they highly recommended pairing their Flowmaster resonator part # 151475 with their 50 series HD , they seemed very confident that this will remove drone. The new res (3"in 3"out) needed to be installed in before the muffler, also left the factory OEM res's on on the duel pipes after the muffler.

Got the resonator installed yesterday and the drone is GONE. The exhaust note is slightly quieter as the res eliminated a lot of the mid range frequencies but still has all the low end rumble.

Even with the MDS engaged, the sound/note switching between 8 to 4 and 4 to 8 cylinders is subtle.

Overall I'm very pleased with the results but wouldn't mind a slightly heavier low end rumble.

Exhausted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have this same muffler/ part from flowmaster and only time I really notice is when it kicks into 4 cylinder mode
I new going into adding a "performance" muffler it would add some interior sound
but I have had much worse with a big block, 1 7/8 headers, and dynomax bullets and a cam with +26* of overlap

ryss003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you post pictures of the installed flowmater rezo please? Im interested on that setup.. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

rczerwin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Attachments

• IMG_20140509_151646_434.jpg
    IMG_20140509_151646_434.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_20140509_151740_811.jpg
    IMG_20140509_151740_811.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 633

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Could you double check the part number for the resonator? I looked it up on their site and no results...

OP
OP
R

rczerwin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OMG, I'm so sorry, the Flowmaster resonator is part# 15147S
So change the last digit from a 5 to an S

ryss003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gee thanks for this!! How did it affect the overall sound of the 50HD? Now im really considering this.. I love how the 50HD sounds but you were right about the drone at the certain rpm..

OP
OP
R

rczerwin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Again no drone inside the cab, that was the main objective by adding the Flowmaster res.

The sound at the back was not as loud but the sound loss was the mid range frequency, the same frequency the Flowmaster res was eliminating. All the low end growl/rumble are the same.

OP
OP
R

rczerwin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The overall volume in decreased some, however the lost volume was the mid range frequencies the Flowmaster res was filtering out. Whats left is a nice low end growl/rumble in back with no drone at all in the cab.
With the windows up or down I can hear a beautiful sounding roar when I step on the gas. Hope this helps...

pld

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I unfortunately was a GM guy before I bought this truck and a few of us were stacking mufflers; on the 08 GMC sierra 5.3l I had I used a Super 10 3" SI/SO welded to a Cherrybomb extreme 3" SI/ 2 1/2" DO and it was deeep and smooth but not all that loud.

ryss003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
great!! just what I'm aiming for! mind if i ask where you got it from? ill be ordering one soon.. the drone gets old pretty fast specially if you drive on long distances.. imo, the longer the engine runs the more drone it produces.. overall I'm happy with how the 50HD sounds but was hoping for it not to drone on those rpms.. its a good thing i learned about this part #. thanks for this input and this post! :)

ryss003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks man! I hope ill get the same results as you did :) thanks for the advise :)

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm considering upgrading my muffler/exhaust as well.

Can anyone tell me what the advantage is of the Flowmaster + resonator over the Magnaflow.

Does the Magnaflow suffer from the same drone?

ryss003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the only thing i like in my opinion on the flows vs the magnaflow is the sound. i always loved the sound of chambered mufflers.. magnaflows are good, straight through design but the sound on my opinion is just deep, muffled souding. i like the growl of the flowmaster better, its very raw. again this is subjective for what may sound good to me may not sound good to some. i dont think you will notice a difference unless you do a tune. magnaflows drone as well.. drone is also subjective. i hope this made sense :)

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Interesting thread. I want to get the 50HD and was under the impression there i no drone. However you debunked this from the sounds of it. This cheap alternative to make my truck sound nice now is not so cheap anymore with a $160 muffler with a $140 res, plus install.. I may not do this at all now, or live with the drone.. But im now leaning more tords saving my pennys..

Does anyone have an in cab video of the drone with out the res? I can tolerate drone I used to have a SRT4 straight 3" with no cat, but that was the kind of loud I dont want in my DD truck..

How bad is the drone, like so bad that your voice sounds vibrated when you talk, or just an annoying back ground hum that makes you go mad on long trips that no one could sleep through?

Exhausted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting thread. I want to get the 50HD and was under the impression there i no drone. However you debunked this from the sounds of it. This cheap alternative to make my truck sound nice now is not so cheap anymore with a $160 muffler with a $140 res, plus install.. I may not do this at all now, or live with the drone.. But im now leaning more tords saving my pennys..

Does anyone have an in cab video of the drone with out the res? I can tolerate drone I used to have a SRT4 straight 3" with no cat, but that was the kind of loud I dont want in my DD truck..

How bad is the drone, like so bad that your voice sounds vibrated when you talk, or just an annoying back ground hum that makes you go mad on long trips that no one could sleep through?

http://www.ramforum.com/f44/flowmaster_817568_install_review-42880/
checkout my thread with a few videos