Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

Flowmaster 53553 50 Series Big Block

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty' started by FlatbedHemi, Aug 31, 2019.

1. FlatbedHemi

FlatbedHemi Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Anyone run this particular muffler, specifically the 53553 part number. I know a couple guys running the 50 series HD, but this is the 50 series Big Block muffler. It is supposed to be quieter than the HD. Just wondering if anyone is running it and what they thought of it. Did you notice any difference in drivability or mileage (good or bad). What about drone? Looking for something a little more aggressive than my current muffler, that will be a near direct replacement, but dont know about running flowamaster. Always been a magnaflow guy, but the 22” magnaflow outlet is not exactly in the right spot for a direct replacement.

Just looking for input.

2. CincyCuda68

CincyCuda68 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I’m running the Flowmaster American Thunder kit and it specs 50 series muffler, not sure it helps you but that thing drones like crazy 1500-1800 rpm. I hated it when I put it on but I guess I got used to it.

3. FlatbedHemi

FlatbedHemi Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    That’s why I took the magnaflow off whenever I had the flatbed. Ran it without the resonator and didn’t know if it was the muffler, lack of the resonator, or the flatbed ( or a conbination ) that caused the drone. Went back to stock, then changed to a Walker brand diesel muffler that is essentially the same as the stock muffler, just without the flapper or the 3” reduction inside. Has a bit of a rumble now at idle, but was just looking for something that had more growl and was hoping the flowmaster didnt drone as bad. Wonder if the stock tailpipe would tone the drone down any.

CincyCuda68 likes this.
  4. Bigseff23

Bigseff23 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:

I have the same system. My droned like crazy too. I did the out the back tail pipes and got a spiral muffler insert for side pipes and cut it in half and put a piece inside the pipe right before the tips. Makes a huge difference in drone. Quiets it down some too

5. Bigseff23

Bigseff23 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    All flowmasters drone. It's the nature of the beast. The way they use the exhaust gas to cancel sounds is normally around the same frequency an engine puts out running down the highway.

6. CincyCuda68

CincyCuda68 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Doesn’t bother me so much anymore but when I first installed it, it made me crazy.

7. G. Mcpherson

G. Mcpherson Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2018 Big Horn
    Engine:
    Check out Solo Performance Mufflers. Quality built and Sounds good without any drone. I installed it on my 16 2500. Model Mach 82.

[email protected] likes this.
  8. Iron Outlaw

Iron Outlaw Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    What are the differences in this different solo muffler models? Their website doesn't have much inf .

9. G. Mcpherson

G. Mcpherson Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2018 Big Horn
    Engine:
    I was able to call and speak directly with the owner in what I was looking for. They are very well made.

10. rammerrodder

rammerrodder Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    i used to have that same exact muffler on my 09 1/2 ton. if it is quieter than the regular delta flow 50 it wasn't by much. the truck sounded great but with pulling the travel trailer it had a drone. it is what it is i guess. there aren't hardly any options for a 3.5" muffler and all the ones i have found are diesel mufflers. not a big deal but 3.5" inlet and outlets are rare and so is finding one in stainless.