Fluid changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I performed a total fluid change on my 2017 Ram 1500 Tradesman Crew 4x4 at 66,012 miles. For the particulars:
Rear diff - Valvoline 75W-140W Full Synthetic
Front diff - Valvoline 75-90W Full Synthetic
Transmission - Valvoline MaxLife ATF Multi-Vehicle Full Synthetic ATF
Engine - added High Mileage Seafoam to gas
Flushed the coolant (done at 30k) and it was very clean.
I see a lot of discussion about MaxLife concerns v ZF. After 1500 miles with MaxLife, the transmission shifts smoother and more responsive; temps are down 12 degrees. Even the differentials are very quite and gas mileage is up by 0.7mpg. My wife remarked how quite the truck was after service, and I agree.

Last edited:

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'd have to go back and double check the specs (and maybe you just wrote it backwards) but I feel like you got the diff fluids backwards? I think the heavier fluid usually goes in the rear. I'm also surprised you flushed coolant at such a low mileage. Any reason for that or just because?

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I performed a total fluid change on my 2017 Ram 1500 Tradesman Crew 4x4 at 66,012 miles. For the particulars:
Front diff - Valvoline 75W-140W Full Synthetic
Rear diff - Valvoline 75-90W Full Synthetic
Transmission - Valvoline MaxLife ATF Multi-Vehicle Full Synthetic ATF
Engine - added High Mileage Seafoam to gas
Flushed the coolant (done at 30k) and it was very clean.
I see a lot of discussion about MaxLife concerns v ZF. After 1500 miles with MaxLife, the transmission shifts smoother and more responsive; temps are down 12 degrees. Even the differentials are very quite and gas mileage is up by 0.7mpg. My wife remarked how quite the truck was after service, and I agree.

Brake fluid?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I did my 14 at 60k with ZF, it's smoother now at 69k. I'm going to use maxlife on my 16 that will hit 75k by Sunday.

I'm trying to understand how they might be different.
I don't think they are different, just the color. Thus why I say it is a top option, just as good as zf just cheaper. In this case as good as redline d6 is, for whatever reason it is not as good of choice of the zf. Too slippery in many cases. So better quality doesnt mean better choice in this limited application.

OP
OP
O

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd have to go back and double check the specs (and maybe you just wrote it backwards) but I feel like you got the diff fluids backwards? I think the heavier fluid usually goes in the rear. I'm also surprised you flushed coolant at such a low mileage. Any reason for that or just because?
I generally flush the coolant every 3 years.

OP
OP
O

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Corrected. TY

OP
OP
O

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think they are different, just the color. Thus why I say it is a top option, just as good as zf just cheaper. In this case as good as redline d6 is, for whatever reason it is not as good of choice of the zf. Too slippery in many cases. So better quality doesnt mean better choice in this limited application.
I take these with ample scrutiny, but Valvoline has the fluid rated ZF equivalent. That and hundreds of long term reports give this more credence.

Attachments

• US_Val_MLMultiVehicle_ATF_EN.pdf
    520.5 KB · Views: 30

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I take these with ample scrutiny, but Valvoline has the fluid rated ZF equivalent. That and hundreds of long term reports give this more credence.
The redline D6 is advertised as ZF equivalent as well but a lot of people have had issues with it. That said the Max Life fluid has been great. Unless they pay to be certified to the ZF or Mopar spec neither are technically approved fluid.

El Guapo Phil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All I have ever used in my 2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4X4 is Valvoline oil and fluids. Never had a problem and the Ram purrs at 84500 mileage. I use the 4X4 option everyday going up and down hills. As for mileage, 16.5 city and 23.5 highway.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I hve 2019 laramie 5.7 hemi and 8 speed trans living in los angeles temps. This valvoline max life would be great for my transmission also?
If you are still in warranty, I would be hesitant to use it, and would stick with OE fluid to not void the warranty.

If you are out of warranty, your call. There are quite a few on here that have had great results with max life.

I am 32k away from 200k miles on my Ram, am giving some serious thought to using the max life.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The redline D6 is advertised as ZF equivalent as well but a lot of people have had issues with it. That said the Max Life fluid has been great. Unless they pay to be certified to the ZF or Mopar spec neither are technically approved fluid.

I used Redline D6 and have had no issues but next change am going to use Maxlife.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Didn’t VernDiesel go like 3/4 of a million miles on his ZF on Maxlife? As I recall he towed with that truck like 90% of the time and changed it every 100K miles. Can’t complain about that.
I believe so. That's pretty amazing.