Fluid in the driveway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
More like 30K i think is what is recommended. 15k is severe duty.

Bock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
3/8” for all the gearboxes, 5/8” for the fuel evap. Don’t recall how much I used, but get more than you think you’ll need. You can’t stretch it if you don’t have enough.

The transmission, t-case and fuel vents all start near each other and need to go over the transmission to the passenger side of the firewall to keep them away from the exhaust. The front axle can go up to the driver side of the firewall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you just add a nipple with a clamp to what was there or did you run new hose all the way? I looked to day and found the front and back axles plus the transfer case vent but did not find the transmission or fuel tank vents, will look again tomorrow. I think I saw you run the rear up to the rear light.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you just add a nipple with a clamp to what was there or did you run new hose all the way? I looked to day and found the front and back axles plus the transfer case vent but did not find the transmission or fuel tank vents, will look again tomorrow. I think I saw you run the rear up to the rear light.

Here is a link to a thread that he posted some pics of the locations for the tcase and trans. And explains where the fuel evap vent is...

http://forum.powerwagonregistry.com...5&sid=b0895befb5f68b348eb8ad089ee6d4b5#p95168

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Last edited:

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That front diff must have been under water to get to that level of contamination.

I would plan a few more drain/fill/drive/repeat cycles to ensure all water, solvent, and contaminated oil has been flushed from every bearing and seal.

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I was looking at the Diesel recommendation. Thanks for the information for Gas models.

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That front diff must have been under water to get to that level of contamination.

I would plan a few more drain/fill/drive/repeat cycles to ensure all water, solvent, and contaminated oil has been flushed from every bearing and seal.
I agree with you. Never put the truck in water and no telling what first owner did but if it was in water how would the water get in? Through the breather tube only?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with you. Never put the truck in water and no telling what first owner did but if it was in water how would the water get in? Through the breather tube only?

Axle seals. A few quick dumps is one thing, but if the axle was under water for a long period of time I could see it leaking in through the axle seals.

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Axle seals. A few quick dumps is one thing, but if the axle was under water for a long period of time I could see it leaking in through the axle seals.

I bought the truck with 21k miles on it last January. just turned 46k miles yesterday. I wonder if i bought the truck like that seeing as i have never had it in water. I know where the truck was purchased in NJ and the surrounding area is known for flooding. the fill line on the front diff was about an inch higher that where the normal oil level should have been. wondering if the axels sat in water during one of the floods up there and the previous owner didn't think much of it.

Rader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
Wondering if the right viscosity now will reveal an axel leak. Really appreciate everyones help. Im at OK4WD in stewartsville NJ. Only place i trust to do the job right. These guys are awesome!

Yes on OK4WD, they have been around a long long time. For decades they were one of the best priced most reliable places in the country to buy ARB air lockers, bull bars, lifts etc for Toyota land cruisers or trucks. I bought a lot of parts for my Toyota trucks from them and I am in Montana.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
That was submerged for a while. A very good example of why no matter the source always change or at the very least check ALL the fluids in a used vehicle.

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol, now I did! Holy crap! I hope you caught it in time. Thanks for sharing this with us. It makes me want to change mine.

I hope so too! thinking first owner did this. there was very minimal rust in the case so i was happy about that. time will tell and learned to have real inspection do when buying new!

biznaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The previous owner may have had a boat submerging the rear axle.

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The previous owner may have had a boat submerging the rear axle.
Rear axle oil was in really good shape. Its just the front axle that had a leak