Flush Mount LED in rear bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Al Handy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you wire the lights to one of the back up lights? I ask because I did and the one light I had the two LED's hooked to kept "going out" causing an error message on the dash (2018 PW) The next start up the lights would come back on, and after a while they would shut off while still in reverse. I finally hooked the back up led's to the back up wire for the trailer plug. these are under the bumper not in it.

IMG_3176.JPG

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wired mine directly to the trailer harness reverse so they come on automatically. I also used a diode and have them wired to a switch so I can also turn them on at will if I need too.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
How are you guys tapping into the 7 pin harness? Idk what type of connector thingy to use, electrical is not my bag of tricks

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wired mine directly to the trailer harness reverse so they come on automatically. I also used a diode and have them wired to a switch so I can also turn them on at will if I need too.

I wired mine like that also minus the diode. Worked good

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How are you guys tapping into the 7 pin harness? Idk what type of connector thingy to use, electrical is not my bag of tricks

Looks at the wiring diagram find which wire it is. Cut it and solder in everything together. Use heat shrink then electrical tape and do the same for ground wire.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Looks at the wiring diagram find which wire it is. Cut it and solder in everything together. Use heat shrink then electrical tape and do the same for ground wire.
Ok, wasn't sure if there was a preferred connector vs soldering. Already have a diagram, just gotta get some lights and chop some holes.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The trailer wiring isn’t canbus monitored so you won’t have any issues wiring into that.

Last edited:

Mudweiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I bought a set of flush mount LED lights to mount in the bumper as I have seen a couple trucks with them installed. Got the lights in hand and figured out the curve of the bumper is going to cause a gap at the bottom of the lights and the bumper.

Have y'all that have installed flush mounts had the same problem, or do they make some that the plate is slightly curved? Figured at worst beat them into submission but I think the bumper will bend first.

lights are similar to these

View attachment 158646
I have flush mount Led pods in my rear bumper. I had a small gap at the bottom of the pods. I used some black adhesive chalk and filled in the gap smoothing it out with my finger. The gap was only a few MM.

Steam Hogger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Did you wire the lights to one of the back up lights? I ask because I did and the one light I had the two LED's hooked to kept "going out" causing an error message on the dash (2018 PW) The next start up the lights would come back on, and after a while they would shut off while still in reverse. I finally hooked the back up led's to the back up wire for the trailer plug. these are under the bumper not in it.

View attachment 159612
Snip snip...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steam Hogger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel

View attachment 159612
Al, the Canbus system is freaking out on the power draw. Use a relay to power the lights. Draw the trigger off the trailer hitch reverse. Not directly off the lights. Best to get positive directly from the battery. Or you could steal this from the power supply line in the trailer plug. All depends on draw off the summer home. But the trailer wiring positive is 20 amps. -Jason

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I am adding a second set to mine. The ones I have now turn on when I got into reverse. I want the second set on a switch.
Just put em on a 3 way switch. I'll post it up on Monday, but a guy did this with his Jeep, that's what I'm going to do on my Jeep. He said center is off, up is on back-up and down lights em up.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just put em on a 3 way switch. I'll post it up on Monday, but a guy did this with his Jeep, that's what I'm going to do on my Jeep. He said center is off, up is on back-up and down lights em up.

Yeah that would work. I am going to do the factory aux switch set up. I dont like a bunch of after market switches in my daily driver. I am just going to add 2 more lights. I like the way it looks then adding 2 more on my headache rack on another switch.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Anyone running cheapo lights?

Steam Hogger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Yeah that would work. I am going to do the factory aux switch set up. I dont like a bunch of after market switches in my daily driver. I am just going to add 2 more lights. I like the way it looks then adding 2 more on my headache rack on another switch.
I used the Aux switch to power mine. I also have this wired thru a secondary relay that allows for both manual swiched operation and auto when in reverse gear.

To do this you will need a five pin Bosch style relay. I used this weather prof one listed here:DC 12V 40A Universal Car Vehicle Waterproof Sealed Integrated Relay Kit & Base (5-Pin Relay) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071F5T1VY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_w1zLCbGTTQ7NR

I mounted this relay behind the drivers tail light. For auto mode. The coil (terminal 86) is powered off the reverse light taped from the trailer wiring. Terminal 85 goes to ground. The positive for the lights is connected to pin #30. Power from the battery is connected of pin 87a. When in reverse gear, the coil is energized connecting 87a to 30 to power the add on lights.

But now to add manual to this same set of lamps. Take the power feed of the Aux switch power box. Run that directly to the center pin on the second relay pin #87. 87 and 30 are normally closed. When you hit the button on the dash. Power flows from the aux switch relay thru the second relay with out it energized. Lighting up your back up lamps. If you put the truck into reverse while the lights are manually on. The second relay energies breaking the connection from 30-87 and moves it to 30-87a. Lights are still on just now using the auto side of the circuit. This also prevents any kind of back feed.

Last edited:

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just make sure when you drill the holes in the corners you drill them just a little bit to the inside of your outline that you have drawn or your corners won't look right. If you drill directly in the corner the outside of thetdrill bit hole will end up outside of your outline.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The guy on my Jeep forum did a write up how to do it if you need me to post it, let me know, but it sounds like you already know what your doing.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The guy on my Jeep forum did a write up how to do it if you need me to post it, let me know, but it sounds like you already know what your doing.

yeah i should be fine thanks for the extra help. i work on stuff way more complex then truck lights if i cant do it. i might as well just buy a bike lol.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Here's how I wired mine.

upload_2019-3-25_8-45-26.png

upload_2019-3-25_8-43-33.png

Attachments

• rev lighting wiring diagram.compressed.pdf
    49.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited: