Flywheel bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

E4ODnut

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Engine
8L V10
'95 8.0L. The factory manual states that the flywheel bolts must be replaced every time the flywheel is removed and re-installed. I believe the OEM part number is 6035811 and 8 are required. The best price I can find on them so far is ~Cdn$ 20.00 each plus taxes and shipping. Is it absolutely necessary to replace them and if so are there any less expensive alternatives?

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP
OP
E

E4ODnut

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Engine
8L V10
Hmm, So far I am just finding full thread bolts of that dimension and the OEM bolts are not threaded in the portion that fits in the flywheel. The full thread bolts may be a bit loose in the flywheel which might not be a good thing.

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
I ran into this issue while rebuilding my DE Monte Carlo. The story is, that they use "Stretch bolts".
While I personally believe its a load of bull, I can't for sure say that. SO I get new ones. I suggest RockAuto.com to get the new bolts. I don't know of any reason why your original ones won't work.
Dont rely on my info, maybe somebody here can explain an actual justification, as i don't buy into "stretch bolts"

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I ran into this issue while rebuilding my DE Monte Carlo. The story is, that they use "Stretch bolts".
While I personally believe its a load of bull, I can't for sure say that. SO I get new ones. I suggest RockAuto.com to get the new bolts. I don't know of any reason why your original ones won't work.
Dont rely on my info, maybe somebody here can explain an actual justification, as i don't buy into "stretch bolts"
All bolts stretch, may not be by much but they do. It’s why your supposed to measure rod bolts before reusing them. But the specific bolts you’re referring to are called TorqueToYield or TTY. They’re designed to stretch to a given point at a given torque spec and are actually how probably greater than 90% of factory cylinder heads are bolted down. By giving them a designed stretch they won’t stretch anymore and because you can think of metal as an elastic substance (though it may not seem that way) they actually produce a higher clampimh force than standard bolts because they're trying to return to their original length/shape. They're also a single use bolt, reuse and you will be back in don't whatever job it is again

OP
OP
E

E4ODnut

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Engine
8L V10
These flywheel bolts are not torque to yield. The factory service manual specifies a torque of 55 ft lbs. That's it.

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
These flywheel bolts are not torque to yield. The factory service manual specifies a torque of 55 ft lbs. That's it.
You are correct that they are not “torque to yield”… That being said, the point of torquing to a specific number is so you stretch the threads to the exact amount they were designed for.