Fob Stuck, Steering Not Locked, 1.5 Amp Parasite Draw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James Graham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
2009 1500 TRX with a 4.7 L Flex fuel engine. The wife came home yesterday and said that she couldn't get the key fob out.

I start checking things. Battery is good, Confirmed truck is in park, but discovered that the steering did not lock up when the truck was turned off.

I did some tests and found that there is a 1.5 amp parasitic draw on the battery even after 20 minutes of monitoring load.

I'm convinced that it is either the Wireless Ignition Module (WIM) or the totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM).

Both of these items are not cheap and I'm beginning to wonder if there is something in the steering column that is not locking up the steering and sending a conflicting signal out to the computer.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Several owners have complained about not being able to get the FOB out of the ignition
Almost every time, after they charge the battery up to Full, the FOB will come out

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Steering columns in 4th gen trucks don’t have a column lock.

If you’re doing the draw test correctly and you have the 1.5amp draw, start pulling fuses till the draw drops. That will narrow the draw down to a particular circuit.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
For the stuck key fob, this got me once. I did shift out of park and back in to get unstuck. Then seen this

OP
OP
J

James Graham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Brand new battery. I have played with the shifter position to no avail. I did pull the WIM fuse and the load dropped .15 amps.

Trying to decipher the abbreviations of some of the fuses has added to my confusion. I will work on it more tomorrow.

OP
OP
J

James Graham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
With a little help from the grandson we figured out that the parasitic draw is coming from M39 IOD Amp Radio.

I am now starting to believe that the TIPM is the failure. Can someone confirm tht the AmpRadio circuit could be failing because of the TIPM?

Jim

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Could also be the radio not fully powering down.