Fog light turns off when motor is running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

futur49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
Hi, I just joined the forum today. Happy to be a part of the ram family. I would like to ask the community for help regarding my driver side fog light. I own a 2015 3.0L Ecodiesel. This is my first ram and also my first diesel. Ok on to my question. I am no electrician so please bare with my question. My driver side fog light is not functioning properly. I am assuming that there is electricity going to the fog and I will explain why. When the key is in the on position, I can turn my lights and fogs on. Everything functions. When I turn the motor on the driver side fog will blink a few times and stop working. Passenger side stays on. I am assuming somewhere else on the truck is pulling current away from the fog when the motor is turned on. When I turn the motor off, both fogs work properly again. Can anybody help me with a simple answer please. Thank you in advance.

OP
OP
F

futur49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
No leds. I have HID's with ballast. I have also extra ballast and bulbs and have swapped out to see if I had a defective one but nope. Same problem persist. I also have warning canceller attached.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Can anybody help me with a simple answer please.
You might need to try a different error canceller/ant-flicker module. The tell-tale sign is they work when the engine is off and act up when the truck is running.
I have had the same issue in the past with my 15 EcoD, they're somewhat finicky about the lighting. It has nothing to do with being a diesel, the gassers do the same thing.
You can try changing them to LED outputs with AlfaOBD.
I have used the Diode Dynamics Anti-Flicker module on a couple of sets of LED lights in my fogs and have no issues with them. I still use them. The modules can also be used for 35 watt HIDs also.
https://www.diodedynamics.com/canbus-anti-flicker-module-pair-connectors.html

OP
OP
F

futur49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
Well I had used first LEDs with anti flicker and had sam results. I have thought of trying different Hid modules and will look into it. Thank you.

OP
OP
F

futur49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
If it's something as easy as just changing the anti flicker module, I am going to feel really small. I've been trying everything to no avail lol.

woofie2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 v6
If it's something as easy as just changing the anti flicker module, I am going to feel really small. I've been trying everything to no avail lol.
swap the module from one side to the other see if it follows the module or stays on driver side.

OP
OP
F

futur49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
I'll give it a try and get back to this by next weekend. No garage so gotta wait for a warmer day.

woofie2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 v6
OP
OP
F

futur49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
swap the module from one side to the other see if it follows the module or stays on driver side.
So I finally swapped the module and yes it follows it to the other side. I've ordered the diode dynamics module. Will be installing it today.

OP
OP
F

futur49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
So it's been installed since 9 this morning. Seemed to be working fine at that time. Went for a drive and it stopped working. Any ideas?

OP
OP
F

futur49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
P.S. it's the same side that's not working. Passenger side fog light.