Fog lights on a Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Installed aftermarket fog lights on my truck, I used the OEM wiring harness and switch and a connector from one of the vendors here. I went in and changed the code for fog lights to be on but they don't work. Was there anything you had to do afterwards like running the engine for a while or did they just up and work as soon as you put the code in and enabled it?

I also got a warning light, it was the light icon, and it buzzed before shutting off, after two times it stopped even though I had the security bypass harness and one tool plugged in. Not sure if that is now contributing to my problem but have no warning lights.

Nevermind, Tron67J has a 4th gen truck and just missed a setting with AlfaOBD38c63882233c573c38e8017cfdbec118.jpg

M² Mods.

TDRamOH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Installed aftermarket fog lights on my truck, I used the OEM wiring harness and switch and a connector from one of the vendors here. I went in and changed the code for fog lights to be on but they don't work. Was there anything you had to do afterwards like running the engine for a while or did they just up and work as soon as you put the code in and enabled it?

It sounds like you got it straightened out, but in my experience (4.5 gen) what I notice now is that my fog lights don't work unless the ignition is in the Run position. That being said I would have had it there when using AlphaOBD. I don't know if they're all this way, or if I changed some setting to make it this way. Another thing I notice is that it saves the position of the fog light switch. If they are on when I turn off the lights, they will be on when I turn the light switch back on. I guess I am used to my older vehicles that had mechanical fog light switches. The fogs work when the key is off as well on my older vehicle as well.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It sounds like you got it straightened out, but in my experience (4.5 gen) what I notice now is that my fog lights don't work unless the ignition is in the Run position. That being said I would have had it there when using AlphaOBD. I don't know if they're all this way, or if I changed some setting to make it this way. Another thing I notice is that it saves the position of the fog light switch. If they are on when I turn off the lights, they will be on when I turn the light switch back on. I guess I am used to my older vehicles that had mechanical fog light switches. The fogs work when the key is off as well on my older vehicle as well.
I noticed that mine do not turn on unless key is in the "on" position as you stated. I have not tried to replicate the other issue you raised, I will check that tomorrow. I am trying to remember back to my gen 3 truck, it had factory fogs and not sure if they worked with key off. But I will see that truck next weekend as my parents have it. If anyone else here can check how their fogs work and report it would be appreciated. Maybe there is another OBD setting to turn on/off.

Ronald rogers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did this upgrade and works as factory install getting wires plugged into the connectors on bcm is quite the pain in the a&& getting plugends down far enough to work on is the worst part

Jason Sherrod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I completed my install last night, thanks to this forum. I appreciate all the info.

My 2020 Ram 2500 was set up with the factory Aux panel. I wired my fogs from Diode Dynamic to Aux 1...and it couldn’t have been easier. It was an easy “plug and play” using the pig tail wires that came with the truck. I used a hot connector on the dark grey box and ground wire plug into the light grey box. This made the wiring a non event. No drilling or having to find a grounding screw or bolt to latch onto.

I went to Advanced Auto and bought a 40’ roll each of hot and ground wire and had plenty left over. I bought wiring butt connectors there also. I ordered a couple H11 connectors and plugged those into the H11 connector that came with my fog lights...and wired them directly to the factory plug boxes underneath the hood. I programmed my commercial settings to power the fogs through the ignition. My factory code was still “0000” since I’m the only owner of the truck.

I’ll post my pictures later. The part numbers for the mounting brackets, extra bolts, etc was the biggest hurdle initially. However, this forum cleared that up.

Someone else mentioned it, but when I first hooked the lights up they didn’t work. I checked all my connections to ensure everything was properly connected. Then I remembered someone mentioned that if this happens, to unplug the H11 from the fog light, turn it around and plug it back in. The positives and negatives were not matched up. Easy fix.

Mounting brackets took me 1hr 15min to install two weeks ago.

I just got back from a work trip last night and started on the wiring process. The wiring took 2 hrs 10 mins....and I took my time.

Again, I’ll post pics later. Thanks again to those who posted the info.

Matt58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Any updates on the install?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hatchet Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Heavy Duty
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I completed my install last night, thanks to this forum. I appreciate all the info.

My 2020 Ram 2500 was set up with the factory Aux panel. I wired my fogs from Diode Dynamic to Aux 1...and it couldn’t have been easier. It was an easy “plug and play” using the pig tail wires that came with the truck. I used a hot connector on the dark grey box and ground wire plug into the light grey box. This made the wiring a non event. No drilling or having to find a grounding screw or bolt to latch onto.

I went to Advanced Auto and bought a 40’ roll each of hot and ground wire and had plenty left over. I bought wiring butt connectors there also. I ordered a couple H11 connectors and plugged those into the H11 connector that came with my fog lights...and wired them directly to the factory plug boxes underneath the hood. I programmed my commercial settings to power the fogs through the ignition. My factory code was still “0000” since I’m the only owner of the truck.

I’ll post my pictures later. The part numbers for the mounting brackets, extra bolts, etc was the biggest hurdle initially. However, this forum cleared that up.

Someone else mentioned it, but when I first hooked the lights up they didn’t work. I checked all my connections to ensure everything was properly connected. Then I remembered someone mentioned that if this happens, to unplug the H11 from the fog light, turn it around and plug it back in. The positives and negatives were not matched up. Easy fix.

Mounting brackets took me 1hr 15min to install two weeks ago.

I just got back from a work trip last night and started on the wiring process. The wiring took 2 hrs 10 mins....and I took my time.

Again, I’ll post pics later. Thanks again to those who posted the info.

Any pics yet? :popcorn: I'm looking for the easiest way to install factory style halogen fog lights on my 2020 2500 Tradesman.

JINXR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How the heck did anyone add a wire to C4 at the BCM????

That's all I have left to do to finish this project. I need two hands up there but there's another wire coming off of it that goes up into the dash and you can't bring it down.

JINXR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In case anyone else tries to add a wire to C1 and C4, the Mouser terminals linked earlier in the thread worked great.

A few tips...

Do C1 first, and unplug the two square plugs to the right of it. Then there is a push pin you can pull out. This lets you pull the connector down to work on it a little easier.

Tuck them away when you start C4. You gotta do C4 completely one handed. I tried having my wife put her small hand and arm through the heatlight switch opening, but she could barely reach it and could only hold it in a position that made it impossible to stab the wire in.

After you get the cover off of C4 with a small screwdriver, stick the connector back into the BCM. Just be careful and don't bend any pins. This trick holds the connector while you jab the wire into it. Then pull the connector out, slide the cover back on with one hand.

Those covers have two sets of slides so it'll let you put it in wrong, but it won't fully seat. If it doesn't seat in easily, pull it back off and make sure you have it in the right slides. It should snap back into place very easy.

Having someone hold a light through the headlight switch opening helped a lot.

Don't use the Dorman H11 connectors for the fog lights. They are brittle as all get out and break easily. I am going to have to remove them and put on some better ones I ordered from Amazon this morning. Here are the ones I ordered, they look a lot better:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076HDGCGZ/

Here's the harness I made along with some pictures of how I ran the wires.

IMG_6210.jpg

I used three wires. Green was the right fog light, brown is front left, black is ground. Only the green and brown go into the cabin.

2020-10-12 09_27_54-Photo - Google Photos.png
Ground terminal I made

2020-10-12 09_27_27-Photo - Google Photos.png

Put the ground up here by the fuse box:

2020-10-12 09_27_00-Photo - Google Photos.png

Ran it into the cabin through this grommet. This picture was before I loaded it full of silicone to keep water out.

2020-10-12 09_31_46-Photo - Google Photos.png

I didn't get any pictures of the inside because it was dark and I was too pissed off, LOL.

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Some real good info and installs guys but dang. The old wiring to parking lights looks so great at this point. Not to mention cheaper. Haha

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
^ That kit is to replace the already installed factory halogen lamps with factory LED, and just plug in.
Good catch.

Just picked up a 5th gen so it seems like I will be looking into a offering foglight harness kit sometime next month (vacation coming up)

M² Mods.

pgh94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Please put me on the list. I'm wired and ready!

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
It's gonna be like Christmas soon for us 5th gen guys! Keep us in the loop on your R&D sir!

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Good catch.

Just picked up a 5th gen so it seems like I will be looking into a offering foglight harness kit sometime next month (vacation coming up)

M² Mods.

Don't want to bombard you. As you do seem to be quite busy. But curious what types of offerings you think you will have for the 5ths? Thank you and continue to good work.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
4th gen stuff takes up A LOT of my time currently and will likely continue with the 21 classic into next year ... (Somehow I'm still married !? ).
I have a 19 5th gen Laramie QC to compare with now/lay things out and plan to start with the fogs and possibly the 8.4 UAM/UAV & 12"UAX conversion harnesses. (Heated seat and wheel would follow next).
Looked under the front of the truck briefly yesterday and at the schematic... I never like having people mess with the BCM connectors but it will apparently be needed with the fogs. Also disappointed to see it's on 2 separate BCM connectors (C1/Pin 1 C4/Pin 13 ... 2.8mm F ), guess I never noticed on the 4th gen?? as several of you already know (thank FCA!). Just ordered a small qty of 1.2 mm & 2.8mm BCM terminals to see if they are indeed n the correct ones.

Not sure what the best course of action is yet for the actual connectors at the bulbs/bulb type yet. I was never satisfied with the 9005/9006 sealed connectors & terminals I found previously for the 4th gen and let people just order the ' jumper' harness in the bumper (5th gen uses a shrouded H11 it looks like).
Need to find out if there's a base harness from the xy100a ? connector behind the front bumper that has the fogs without park sense possibly. (Will look back though the thread) - brainstorming

** I need to double check, but my 19 Laramie 1500 DT didn't have the 16 pin connector behind the bumper ... It has a completely different brand 20 pin.
(Edit: looks the 5th gen 2500 DJ gets the 16 pin ).. .

21c2e0333b7d471a03ab3cd746a6cedd.jpg

EDIT 2:
** Got an idea. Seems like both the 1500 DT (20 pin) and 2500/3500 DJ (16 pin) don't have any xy100a connector for trucks that don't come with foglights...

... I need to find the VIN of a 19-20 1500 DT Tradesman/Bighorn that only has the foglights to get it's front bumper foglight harness PN.
I can likely get the 1500's 20 pin male connector and build the harness from there back to the BCM. (2500 16pin is a different story). More to come.

Edit:
New 2020 Ram 1500 BIG HORN CC (Halog Fog Only)
VIN: 1C6RREFT6LN238736

>> 68311464AD : 1500 DT Front Fog Only Harness w/20pin xy100A (Male)

++++++++++++++

MY 2019 RAM 1500 LARAMIE QC 4X2 (LED Fog & ParkSense & AirDam?)
VIN 1C6RREDT0KN884324

>> 68385300AC : 1500 DT Front LED Fog/ParkSense/Lwr Grill Shutter (air dam) Harness w/20pin xy100A (Male)

M² Mods.

Last edited: