For the guys who think they get more power with 91 octane fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can only say this, in my engine which the rumor is that it is tuned for 89, my truck sputters on 87 and runs like a ***** ape on 91, I am super cheap, if it ran good on 87 I would run 87, but the re-**** knock is noticeable to anyone in the truck. The only reason I use 91 instead of 89 is because costco only carries 91 and 87. When fuel is 7 bucks, I still run 87, but I miss my 91 on every trip. I must admit, I don't really know the science, I just know my eye sight can still tell the difference between night and day, and I can tell the difference between 87 and 91, and it isnt even close.
Well this same old story continues on. I have two RAMs, a 2017 Sport CC short bed orange and a 2022 Lone Star QC short bed flame red. Think color does make a difference for some reason — kidding! I run 87, never a knock or whimper, great mileage on both , 18 and 20 respectively. Why different, axles! 3.91 on orange truck, suregrip and 4X4: 3.21 sure grip, 4X2 on red. 91 octane is a waste of money, and NO there is NO maintenance or parts failure difference, that is old wives tail!

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
As long as there has been the Internet and automotive forums, one of the highly debated topics besides oil, catch can, wax, and payload/tow numbers is octane.

Anyone can look up what octane is and what it does from dozens of authoritative sources and the first discovery is octane is not power, if anything, it causes the fuel charge in the cylinder harder to detonate.

Why would you want this, so the computer can advance timing causing the entire fuel charge to detonate at the same time thus taking full advantage of the energy.

Where is a higher octane fuel advantageous, in higher compression engines, turbo/supercharged engines, engines running in hot weather, and heat-soaked engines.

Running in the southern desserts with 100-plus degree temperatures, higher octane makes sense but running in the 20-degree weather up north makes no sense.

Despite all the arguments, no one can change this behavior. The trick is to find the octane level that works for your use case.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
19 PWagon in Oklahoma.... Using ethanol laced 87 or 89 didn't get the Avg MPH or the distance that pure gas did. I pay $4 a gal for 89 Pure gas......but it gets me to Amarillo on a half tank and St Louis on a full tank. And that was on OEM plugs. Recently upgraded to Iridium plugs and noticed a lower rpm on the tach. Maybe 200-300 rpm lower now.....

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
19 PWagon in Oklahoma.... Using ethanol laced 87 or 89 didn't get the Avg MPH or the distance that pure gas did. I pay $4 a gal for 89 Pure gas......but it gets me to Amarillo on a half tank and St Louis on a full tank. And that was on OEM plugs. Recently upgraded to Iridium plugs and noticed a lower rpm on the tach. Maybe 200-300 rpm lower now.....
I think your truck should of had iridium plugs in it from the factory.They haven't used copper plugs since 2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
The only thing i have that doesn't require 91 or higher fuel is our 300,and it doesn't notice any differance between 87 and 91.It gets the same milege on 87 as it does with 91,and will pull 165mph wide open on either fuel.It's bone stock other then having the speed limiter opened up,and the idle raised to 700 rpm,i also run a catch can on it,which helps with keeping the fuel octane where it should be.I think alot of you guys who claim theres a differance also probably aren't running a catch can,and the crap sucked through the PCV system effectively lowers the octane of the fuel going into the engine. The stuff sucked through the PCV dilutes the fuel and lowers it's effective octane rating
I have a catch can on my truck lol ...

My truck loves 91 simple as that, what do I get out of saying it runs better when it doesn't?

I check the catch can every month .... I don't get any more power from running 91 but I have already stated that in other posts, but on 89 I could definitely feel the loss of power and hesitation, knocking and rough idling at times ....

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
As long as there has been the Internet and automotive forums, one of the highly debated topics besides oil, catch can, wax, and payload/tow numbers is octane.

Anyone can look up what octane is and what it does from dozens of authoritative sources and the first discovery is octane is not power, if anything, it causes the fuel charge in the cylinder harder to detonate.

Why would you want this, so the computer can advance timing causing the entire fuel charge to detonate at the same time thus taking full advantage of the energy.

Where is a higher octane fuel advantageous, in higher compression engines, turbo/supercharged engines, engines running in hot weather, and heat-soaked engines.

Running in the southern desserts with 100-plus degree temperatures, higher octane makes sense but running in the 20-degree weather up north makes no sense.

Despite all the arguments, no one can change this behavior. The trick is to find the octane level that works for your use case.
Correct, it's harder for higher octane to detonate, but these trucks have big ass engines, we don't drive them like the average vehicles out there, I don't when I get the chance and like you said, being that I am in California it gets pretty damn hot out there, 89 wasn't cutting it with my truck, 91 when I first got it was making my truck run like a R@ped@pe just like @Burla 's .....

Like you said, find something that works for you and your truck, don't be scared to spend the extra money now on higher octane if that is going to make your vehicles run better, it's better spending that extra $10-$20 per fill up now than spending thousands later down the road because your engine took a crap ... that's how I see it .... I know others don't and honestly I could care less, your money, your trucks, your headaches not mine ...

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L

Don't get them started on Cold Air Intakes...

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
only way that happens is if you are in a different gear. ie if going 65mph in 5th gear your rpms will always be the same no matter what plugs you have.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
depending on where you live it pays to get Cenex gas (Costcos west of Mandan ND are supplied by cenex gas) my buddy ran the bulk plant and said of all the gas companies cenex had the highest standards and their octane always tested higher than advertised.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
depending on where you live it pays to get Cenex gas (Costcos west of Mandan ND are supplied by cenex gas) my buddy ran the bulk plant and said of all the gas companies cenex had the highest standards and their octane always tested higher than advertised.
Cenex's 91 also has no ethanol ...

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The human "butt dyno" is notoriously inaccurate.I'd have to see proof from track tests to believe some of you guys who claim you're getting more power from 91.The computor has hard limits when it comes to advancing timing,it won't advance past the factory set parameters even if you throw 110+ race fuel in the tank. Unless you're getting really shiitty 89,the truck won't gain any power with 91. That makes me think a few of you guys were running closer to a E15 89 and when you switched to 91 the ethanol content is closer to a E10,that'd be the only explanation to why you gained milege and power.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I didn't know that about Cenex gas. I don't live near a Costco, but there's a Cenex station about 4 blocks from my house. I'll have to check them out. :waytogo:

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
The human "butt dyno" is notoriously inaccurate.I'd have to see proof from track tests to believe some of you guys who claim you're getting more power from 91.The computor has hard limits when it comes to advancing timing,it won't advance past the factory set parameters even if you throw 110+ race fuel in the tank. Unless you're getting really shiitty 89,the truck won't gain any power with 91. That makes me think a few of you guys were running closer to a E15 89 and when you switched to 91 the ethanol content is closer to a E10,that'd be the only explanation to why you gained milege and power.
Who is claiming to gain power? I know it ain't me lol .... Those that are claiming more power are confusing that gain with what the cpu is already capable of producing like I have said before ...

I doubt Chevron's 89 is shiitty so you can throw that out the window, Chevron out here has no Ethanold on 91 some 89 doesn't have it at certain times of the year .... but both 87 and 89 have 10% ethanol all year long with Chevron ....

I know it can be hard to believe for some of you guys but my truck does gain almost 2 mpg on 91 switching from 89 ... believe it or not doesn't make me lose any sleep at night lol ...

So @Wild one who claimed to gain more power?

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Who is claiming to gain power? I know it ain't me lol .... Those that are claiming more power are confusing that gain with what the cpu is already capable of producing like I have said before ...

I doubt Chevron's 89 is shiitty so you can throw that out the window, Chevron out here has no Ethanold on 89 or 91 ... some of the 87 has it but depends on the gas stations, more so the gas stations up towards the mountains make it quite clear that it has ethanol in their 87 ..

I know it can be hard to believe for some of you guys but my truck does gain almost 2 mpg on 91 switching from 89 ... believe it or not doesn't make me lose any sleep at night lol ...

So @Wild one who claimed to gain more power?
Runs like a rapedd ape,think you quoted that and claimed the same thing for your truck.Not sure where you grew up,but that leads the majority of us to figure you're claiming more power. BTW slowing the burn down in the cylinder doesn't lead to better milege in the majority of cases,as the cylinder charge doesn't start to burn as quick and usually carries out to where the fuel doesn't make a complete burn in the cylinder,and contributes to higher exhaust manifold temps as it's still completing the burn as the exhaust valve opens and the cylinder starts purging the exhaust gases. You can believe what ever you want,but you aren't changing physics

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Runs like a rapedd ape,think you quoted that and claimed the same thing for your truck.Not sure where you grew up,but that leads the majority of us to figure you're claiming more power. BTW slowing the burn down in the cylinder doesn't lead to better milege in the majority of cases,as the cylinder charge doesn't start to burn as quick and usually carries out to where the fuel doesn't make a complete burn in the cylinder,and contributes to higher exhaust manifold temps as it's still completing the burn as the exhaust valve opens and the cylinder starts purging the exhaust gases. You can believe what ever you want,but you aren't changing physics
Are you seirous right now Wildone? .... Unless you see me post, type "I gained more power" you can't seriously confuse saying r@ped@pe with power gain lol ... I clearly mentioned in the second post of this thread "Just like I said in the octane thread, these engines are already built to make a certain amount of power "stock", unless you have modded the whole system then the 87-85 is going to give you more power vs the 91." did you miss that part?

Don't reach too much Wildone lol ... I didn't claim more power homie ... Take this one as a loss and move on, my truck runs better at it's full potential on 91 that is all I said, never that it gained more power. If I have to be that specific for "YOU" to understand then $SH!!tt, I had you figured out wrong ....

Where you grew up the majority must take things out of context or are not able to comprehend what is being conveyed to people lol ... I am sure you are now going to be "mad" or hold another grudge against me for this, but I have to mention it again on this post, I never once claimed the gain of more power .... Burla saying that his truck runs like a r@ped@pe just describes how my truck feels on 91 lol ... so yes I quoted that ... you didn't seem to question that earlier in this thread til now right?

So again for the majority of you that grew up where Wildone is from, I never once claimed more power gain, an increase in MPGs yes lol .... ouch , now we have to be clearly specific about what we post on these forums? .... GTFOH :laughing1:

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Are you seirous right now Wildone? .... Unless you see me post, type "I gained more power" you can't seriously confuse saying r@ped@pe with power gain lol ... I clearly mentioned in the second post of this thread "Just like I said in the octane thread, these engines are already built to make a certain amount of power "stock", unless you have modded the whole system then the 87-85 is going to give you more power vs the 91." did you miss that part?

Don't reach too much Wildone lol ... I didn't claim more power homie ... Take this one as a loss and move on, my truck runs better at it's full potential on 91 that is all I said, never that it gained more power. If I have to be that specific for "YOU" to understand then $SH!!tt, I had you figured out wrong ....

Where you grew up the majority must take things out of context or are not able to comprehend what is being conveyed to people lol ... I am sure you are now going to be "mad" or hold another grudge against me for this, but I have to mention it again on this post, I never once claimed the gain of more power .... Burla saying that his truck runs like a r@ped@pe just describes how my truck feels on 91 lol ... so yes I quoted that ... you didn't seem to question that earlier in this thread til now right?

So again for the majority of you that grew up where Wildone is from, I never once claimed more power gain, an increase in MPGs yes lol .... ouch , now we have to be clearly specific about what we post on these forums? .... GTFOH :laughing1:
Check out post #7. I'm not even going to comment on your idea of " runs like a rap'ed ape" as apparently you have a differant opinion of what it means from the majority of us, :Big Laugh: :waytogo: