For those that don't think the cabin air filter mod is worth it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cummins Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
For those that don't think the cabin air filter mod is worth it check this...

img_1403.jpg

...this is after about 15,000 miles and a little more than a year's time. I actually don't go off road as much as I'd like to so this is probably about 90% street driving. Imagine all that caked on your AC condenser and then, figure after two or three more cycles like this, what your condenser would look like. My understanding is that you have to practically tear the entire dash out to get to the condenser to replace it. A $12 filter every year or so sounds cheap to me. (BTW - I bent it up a little getting it out. It was structurally ok before I removed it.)

Chief_6.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So what’s the mod and how do you do it. Have any good write up?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

With a 2017, you most likely have it from the factory. It is behind the lower glove box. Earlier models needed to add it as an aftermarket accessory.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I did the mod and haven't run it but 2-3 months but I wonder how dirty mine is. This spring it was pretty dry when they were disking soil for planting and the dust clouds were crazy. after all my other vehicles having a filter, I can't imagine what FCA was thinking by not making it standard.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't need to drive....just let it sit in the yard or driveway...in a week, there will be dust in the cab from the air blowing in.

I did the mod and haven't run it but 2-3 months but I wonder how dirty mine is. This spring it was pretty dry when they were disking soil for planting and the dust clouds were crazy. after all my other vehicles having a filter, I can't imagine what FCA was thinking by not making it standard.

Hey, we can save some money on parts, and on warranty replacements for a bad smell from the A/C system.

I'm surprised they didn't do away with the underhood light like GM did to save another 25 cents per vehicle.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Imagine all that caked on your AC condenser and then, figure after two or three more cycles like this, what your condenser would look like. My understanding is that you have to practically tear the entire dash out to get to the condenser to replace it. A $12 filter every year or so sounds cheap to me.

The cabin air filter protects the evaporator. The condenser is in front of the radiator. Having to replace an evaporator or heater core is both time consuming and a PIA
From what I understand, some sort of filter is needed if driving in parts of Florida during LoveBug season though...lol

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Cummins Dog, next time show the dirty filter over a new one. I had fools elsewhere arguing it didn't look like anything.

It was full of soot from the fires we had back in September and October so they must've thought it was a charcoal enhanced filter.

OP
OP
Cummins Dog

Cummins Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

You may not need it. I think the 2017s and up came with the filter. You just (or the stealership if you service it there) just needs to change the filter about every year.

1500canoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don't need to drive....just let it sit in the yard or driveway...in a week, there will be dust in the cab from the air blowing in.

Hey, we can save some money on parts, and on warranty replacements for a bad smell from the A/C system.

I'm surprised they didn't do away with the underhood light like GM did to save another 25 cents per vehicle.
My 2018 has no underhood light :(

dav8388

Reaction score
Ram Year
In limbo between trucks
Engine
3.6 pentastar
My 17 tradesman has it. I check it recently and in only 3,000 miles there is quite a bit of dirt cought in it. Only vehicle I have ever owned that had one I'm glad it's there.

Whiteannerdy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a late 2016 model and it had the door installed but still no filter. At the time parts catalogs were not listing for 2017 trucks so I referenced a 2009 Avenger for the filter.

Haven’t checked it yet but it hasn’t quite been a year or any off road trails where it’s dusty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chief_6.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I’ll check my 2017 out in a bit to see if it was factory installed.

RusslRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does this mod change or reduce the performance of the A/C? Live in Vegas and need all the a/c I can get

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some people have alleged less air low, most people don't seem to have that problem.
Jay

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Does this mod change or reduce the performance of the A/C? Live in Vegas and need all the a/c I can get

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I can't say I've noticed any difference in air flow. Yesterday the heat index was over 100 degree's and with it set on auto, it did it's usual. Got in and started up, blew hard and slowly dropped down as the cabin cooled down. Today the heat index is supposed to hit 110 so we'll see, but so far... nothing noticeable.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I removed the hood light on my 2017. If it turned off on a timer like everything else, I'd have left it. But it stays on forever and gets hot. Plus it only shines on the passenger side, and doesn't put out enough light to actually see anything. I'm thinking of using it in a lower glovebox light mod. Just got to find the right switch.

Went out for a drive with the new cabin filter. Didn't notice any of the outside smells I normally do. Might just be there weren't any. But I'll know if it made a difference when I pass a freshly mowed lawn. Didn't notice any difference in air flow from the AC.

wink

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I removed the hood light on my 2017. If it turned off on a timer like everything else, I'd have left it. But it stays on forever and gets hot. Plus it only shines on the passenger side, and doesn't put out enough light to actually see anything. I'm thinking of using it in a lower glovebox light mod. Just got to find the right switch.
wink

The truth is he took it out to reduce the weight of the truck when he raced it last year----every little bit helps :D:D
Jay