Ford gets new 7.3 Gasser...will Ram respond?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
That's why they have Diesels.

CHIGURH
Bring back the V-10?

My V-10 got 9mpg, empty. That was according to the EVIC.
Did an actual hand calculation, once and only once.
Decided I liked the Dash Fuel Economy numbers much better.

Pulling any weight, whatsoever, I got 6mpg, again via EVIC.
I flat out did not want to know the Real MPG numbers.

Don't get me wrong, I loved that truck and drive train.
Drove it for 15 years, mostly Interstate and Empty
but when I needed the Pulling Power, I had plenty.

My God that thing was a beast! I did some hot shot loads with one in the mid 90's & it blew me away. I give it a little pedal from a stop light one time to see what it would do & it started roasting the tires. Your probably thinking "oh yeah big deal" well this was with a 20' utility trailer & about 5,000lbs. in it. Lots of power... but as you said... it got thirsty too!

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
I was really surprised to see that they released an engine of that size and design. However, after watching the TFL interview last night, it looks very promising. It will sell in large numbers if it has any performance to it at all. Should fill the gap between traditional gas HD's and the diesel HD's nicely, may even take away from some of the 1/2 ton market.

Ford has made impressive changes in their entire line up from 2015 to current.... if you look at their history from 2000-2014, they've made a considerable amount of heady way in just the last 4 years.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
If they do make a 7.0 hemi. all i care is i can put it in my 4th gen. I dont like the 5th gens at all.

PatinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Irregardless of engine size and lack of MPGs, these truck manufacturers need to bring back dual tanks. If you buy a gasser HD truck, only thing you should be concerned about is how much gas you can put in it and how far that'll get you for the load you're carrying.

Fearfact

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Irregardless of engine size and lack of MPGs, these truck manufacturers need to bring back dual tanks. If you buy a gasser HD truck, only thing you should be concerned about is how much gas you can put in it and how far that'll get you for the load you're carrying.

Yes...yes abs yes... this piddly ass little tank is ridiculous...I had road debris take out the stock tank and tried like hell to find a larger aftermarket for the ccsb 4x4 hemi with no luck...I want 50+ on board...hell even the tundra can get over 40 gallons from the factory..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Insiders stated 450hp is the target goal. Most people believe the torque figures will be near 500. So with the 10 speed it should be a monster combo. No doubt FCA could wake up the 6.4 BGE with some additional engineering effort. But like others, I'm hoping they just release a 426 version and call it the BFGE.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Hell yeah. Drove from Texas to Arizona pulling a trailer and my wife following in her car. I’d have loved to just drive 500 miles without stopping. :banghead:

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A

You can get a 48gal tank in the cclb Fords. It's very nice indeed. I think the gas engine competition is back on and it is great! I wonder if the engineers realize that they are close to pretty much tapping out all they can get from the diesel market. So now it's time to concentrate on the gas platforms that have kind of been neglected the past few years. Either way it's a good time to be a truck buyer. As long as gas prices dont go through the roof.

PatinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hell yeah. Drove from Texas to Arizona pulling a trailer and my wife following in her car. I’d have loved to just drive 500 miles without stopping. :banghead:

When I tow my travel trailer from 2000ft to over 7000ft to my favorite camping spot 6+ hours away, I have to plan my route around towns and gas stations. If I'm fighting a headwind on the highway, I can easily double my gas stops. Annoying.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I think it is an interesting niche at this point with the diesel capability, price etc. climbing so high, it is nice to see the gasser HD market start to slowly close the gap a bit. I'm certainly happy with my 6.4L, would love the 8sp but I'm not trading in my rig for anything for a long time.

The tank capacity is annoying, as is planning for gas stops while towing. The thing you become aware of is gas station logistics of "easy in, easy out" become important. Many stations have good setups for longer rigs and diesel for obvious reasons but for gas things can be tight. I usually end up finagling my way to the end pump. That is usually with our TT which is only 25' so it isn't too bad to deal with.

The tank thing will become an issue for us if horse shows begin to exceed the tank capacity. Our farthest show takes about 2/3 to 3/4 tank to get to. We prefer to limit stops with the horses on board if possible.....they get a touch annoyed with not moving while loaded up.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know some people are against direct injection but that would give us the power we want for sure. It would definitely have to be the newer version of DI with the extra port injector for each cylinder to keep the combustion chamber clean. With that change they could bump the compression up to 12:1(same as the Coyote for example) and pick up 15% more power across the board and of course with DI you could do it safely on 87 octane. Those changes alone could push the truck 6.4 up to SRT numbers at 470 HP and 490 Tq.

Honestly I was kind of expecting something along those lines with the 5th gens across the board. It makes more sense to update existing powertrains than to design new ones from scratch like Ford does way to often. That's my biggest turnoff with Ford. You spend a **** ton of money(remember Fords are the most expensive trucks by a mile) on a new F150, F250,etc and two years later they're redesigning the whole G-damn thing not to mention Ford is notorious for designing a new engine and then dumping it two years later for something else. Of course if Democrats take over the presidency and congress again we'll be backtracking across the board to turn back time to Obama era EPA nonsense and all this will be out the window.

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
6.4 Hemi is great. With 16 spark plugs and stock exaust. Chevys and Fords are out in left field these days.

OP
OP
mohemipar

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I have to say I think Ford made the 2020 Super Duty look a little too much like the F150 with the grill and headlights. Now unless you have a 450 dually they all kind of look the same to me. The new Ram 4500/5500’s look pretty damn beefy. A little surprised Ram didn’t start offering a factory bed option 4500 to compete with Ford.

call it the BFGE.
Lol That would be the greatest block casting in history.

That's my biggest turnoff with Ford. You spend a **** ton of money(remember Fords are the most expensive trucks by a mile) on a new F150, F250,etc and two years later they're redesigning the whole G-damn thing not to mention Ford is notorious for designing a new engine and then dumping it two years later for something else.

I've known a few Ford people over the years who have also said this. And it’s not just engines, even just design refreshes every two years get to be almost laughably ridiculous. SMALL refreshes here and there, they go a LONG way. How many more troll comments do I have to read on the internet about how bad the Challenger “needs a redesign”. Ehem, you’re missing the point, it’s supposed to look like that. Just like a Wrangler is a Wrangler. Leave it up to GM to give a classic some barf worthy front end in the name of progress.

2019-chevrolet-camaro-ss-001.jpg

woofie2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 v6
How is a 7.3L gas going to be any better than the Triton V10's they had a few years ago?

I think RAM's eTorque system seems better suited and would be a neat addition to the 6.7 Cummins.
Solves the engine breaking issues with the diesel, by recovering the power to use for acceleration.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I don’t understand the logic in people making an issue out of gas mileage with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. That’s like buying an economy car and making an issue out of performance

When in the boondocks or towing I want to have as much range from a tank of gas as possible and that is why I went with a diesel truck that provides me with over 600 miles of range on one tank of fuel and no need to carry around a bunch of jerry cans or add a fuel tank to the bed and limit what I can carry in it.

A problem with the GM 1500 class pickups is that they come with a 26 gallon gas tank which means about 23 x 17 miles of range or barely 400 miles at best. Anyone who has towed a trailer for any distance has spent time finding a gas station where they can easily get beside a pump and then exit back to the highway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01