Ford gets new 7.3 Gasser...will Ram respond?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m not fan of 10 or anything more than 6 speed tranny, it’s just government policy run amuck and costing us a fortune to fix the damn thing with it breaks which far in excess of any potential gas mileage saving, as for 7.4 gasser? Why not 9”4, 11.4. Where does it end? Honestly it’s much more than a gasser truck needs, btw, diesels were may favorite until the gubmint added all the stupid sulfur replacement things and turbos aren’t as good as they use to be and don’t last nearly as long as a motor. This stupid so called environmental saving crap put on diesel have all but destroyed them. Don’t get me started on the ridiculous prices we are now having to pay for a gubmint spcertified diesel in America.....

I just wish quality was more important than having a so called bigger motor, we all know with properly engineered, a 5. Anything can be a beast.

I'm not a fan of a transmission in a car or pickup that has more tn six gears. I want someone to explain why the 2012 2500 5.7 with a six sped and 410 rear axle got better gas mileage than a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a V-6 with a 10 speed and 3.92 rear axle. Or explain why that same 2012 got better gas mileage than a 2017 1500 5.7 with a 10 speed and a 392 limited slip axle. Of course I already know the answers and none of them make since other than the idiots in Detroit have never understood gearing.

And you are 100% correct a 5.0 liter or better can indeed be a beast. The overall best pickup I ever owned was a Ford F-150 with a 5.0L engine, AOD, and a 411 axle. 15-17 mpg regardless of what I was towing over mountains or on flat land. Took me 300,000 miles of hard use to eat the crankshaft in that beast. Slapped another engine in it and it's still going. I've kept it out of respect for all the service it gave me.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well FWIW the 1500 doesn't have a 10 speed, it's an 8 speed. I can't answer your questions but I can say that 8 or 10 speeds offers a lot of advantages when towing/hauling with heavier loads. Especially on a motor like the 5.0 Coyote or 5.7 that don't really have much low end torque. I hated towing heavy loads through the mountains with my old 2003 Ram truck, even with the 3.92 gearing it was a 2 gear run up all the hills, usually between 4000 and 5000 rpm.

Personally I think the 8 speed transformed the truck over the old 545/645RFE.

OP
OP
mohemipar

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I'm not a fan of a transmission in a car or pickup that has more tn six gears. I want someone to explain why the 2012 2500 5.7 with a six sped and 410 rear axle got better gas mileage than a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a V-6 with a 10 speed and 3.92 rear axle. Or explain why that same 2012 got better gas mileage than a 2017 1500 5.7 with a 10 speed and a 392 limited slip axle. Of course I already know the answers and none of them make since other than the idiots in Detroit have never understood gearing.

And you are 100% correct a 5.0 liter or better can indeed be a beast. The overall best pickup I ever owned was a Ford F-150 with a 5.0L engine, AOD, and a 411 axle. 15-17 mpg regardless of what I was towing over mountains or on flat land. Took me 300,000 miles of hard use to eat the crankshaft in that beast. Slapped another engine in it and it's still going. I've kept it out of respect for all the service it gave me.

So you are sure a 2012 HD gasser gets better MPG than a new Grand Cherokee?... I wouldn’t choose that hill to die on. My 2500 with the 6.4 hasn’t seen over 16 MPG since October (highway driving). My Charger with 8 speed and SRT 6.4 will get 20-25 on the highway, right now on winter tires and winter gas. So I fail to see how a Pentastar/8 speed Jeep, which is more efficient than my Charger, gets worse MPG than a 2012 2500 with the 5.7 – which I believe didn’t even have MDS. Physics say it’s impossible.

Why would manufacturers invest millions of dollars in new transmissions if it didn’t net them overall better fuel economy numbers to please the government. The transmissions do work.

Outdoors76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I certainly hope it does better than the existing 6.2L gas engine. I had a 2015 F250 SD with the 6.2, it was an absolute dog. The torque management was horrible. It had a terrible dead pedal problem, step on the accelerator hard and it would fall over like it had to think for two seconds about what to do. Almost got me in an accident several times. On top of that it rode like holy hell, finally my wife told me to get rid of it after less than a year, and get another Ram- and my wife never tells me to spend $50K LOL !

I felt same about my last truck F150 XLT with 5.0

pretty and rode nice on highway, gas mileage decent but from a stand still drop the pedal to floor and its like it stopped and asked "are you sure you want to do that"? before it did ANYTHING! annoying as all hell...

my ram 1500 without pedal commander is not even a comparison to that!