Ford is copying Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
Ugh. Used to be trucks competed in ground clearance, power, and towing capacity.

Now it's screen size, tech features and soft ride :rolleyes:
The real trucks (3/4 and 1 ton) still do. Half ton trucks have become multipurpose people haulers and need the luxury options and features.

My Ram fills 2 purposes for me. It's a people hauler (luxury "car"), it'll carry supplies from the building supply and landscape stores and it'll move my boat (sort of). If I was pulling it regularly, I'd need a 3/4 ton truck.

20200609_101958.jpg

Last edited:

keisur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
They should copy the price tag. I moved from my F150 to this Ram because they equivalent vehicle price tag on the Ford was $10k higher. They lost me after a lifetime of trucks because they are too proud.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I just saw the MotorTrend review of the new F150 and it looks like Ford is copying more than the front end.
Interior looks much upgraded and in-floor rear storage.
Even fold flat seats.(so you can nap while waiting for the tow truck)
I guess they were tired of losing customers to Ram cause all those first time Ram owners didn't just come from Chevy...

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I love the way my current trucks light the road when driving at night as I live in a rural area with no street lights and more than a few deer and skunks on the roads at night. The cute front headlights on 2020 Ram, Chevy, and Ford trucks greatly reduce the effectiveness for lighting the road. When I saw the 2021 Ford pickup leadlights it gave me pause on buying a 2021 Ram and now I am seriously considering the Ford F-150 instead.

Ford is also providing a hybrid version of the F-150 with a 50% gain in fuel economy and driving range on a tank of gas. The hybrid with the tow package is rated for towing 12,000 lbs. which put it into 2500 territory.

I have owned trucks from Willys, Dodge, Ford, Chevy, and Toyota, and I buy whatever is the best vehicle at that point in time in terms of features and reliability. I don't have "brand loyalty" which to me is an indication of someone who cannot think for themselves.
Well I will definitely disagree with you on the headlights on the new Ford's and Chevy. I like ford and pretty much hate anything from Chevy. But at work, we needed more pickups to travel in on mine site property thanks to Covid, we are only allowed one person per vehicle, no more van loads traveling at once. So they rented a bunch of trucks, fords and Chevys. Now after some seat time, those LEDs in the chev are amazing. I had the look of the grill, but the output really makes up for it. The ford is right there too, awesome light output, both led and halogen versions.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Batt4Christ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It's funny how we change with age.

I've owned 5 Chevy trucks in a row and now a couple of Rams.
Ram has the better overall trucks for the money inside and out.

I think Ford makes a pretty good truck but then you gotta wake up every morning and look at it.

And deal with the now heavily pushed 2.7liter engine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Here is a photo of the new 2021 Ford F-150, look at the more rounded front and grill
similar to the Ram.

The large Ram sales are hurting Ford and GM. So what do you do, copy.....it seems.View attachment 213263

Ford copied dodge in 1999 when they released the new super duty. Very similar big rig styling that the new 1994 ram had. So Ford has been doing it for years already. Dodge has always been innovative, the rest copy just like the Japanese.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
They should copy the price tag. I moved from my F150 to this Ram because they equivalent vehicle price tag on the Ford was $10k higher. They lost me after a lifetime of trucks because they are too proud.

This exactly is the reason I bought my ram over the new 2017 superduty. More options, nicer truck and at least 10k less. More truck for less money. I'm very glad I did.

Dakota2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not to knock on y’all’s 5th generations because you guys have done some absolutely sweet mods to them but I don’t believe they’re the best looking trucks out there. If I have to grow to like something out of brand loyalty or because I’m on a forum then I’m not being honest. Today if I were to get a brand new truck it would be the Chevy Trail Boss because I felt right away it looked good to me. The Fords are slowly evolving from those hideous freight train fronts they had a few years ago and I believe they’re heading in the right direction. RAM I feel is heading that way but they’re in their “freight train” stage that Ford was in a while back. I believe RAM can and will do better as their designs evolve over the next few years. Again, I’m not knocking y’all’s trucks nor looking to troll or disrespect in any way, that’s just my own opinion.

Dakota2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Frankly I like LOOKS of the Trailboss too...
It's everything else about the Chevy I don't care for...
Looks ain't everything.
True so I test drove one last year at the Dallas auto show. Loved it. I’ve also test drove the RAM and Fords. Chevy to me was the better truck.

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
My Honda Generator weighs 400 pounds. It's hardly handy to carry around. The onboard output plugs are a very useful tool if it has the right voltage. I pulled my truck up to a tree and tried to cut some limbs with a electric chainsaw. It barely moved the chain.
Sounds like you need a gas chainsaw.. never heard of using an electric chainsaw.. but I’m a man.. and as a man I don’t use electric chainsaws.. green new deal isn’t for me.

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
True so I test drove one last year at the Dallas auto show. Loved it. I’ve also test drove the RAM and Fords. Chevy to me was the better truck.
I test drove a GMC AT4 and a then a ram power wagon. I thought the GMC AT4 was very low par compared to the power wagon.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone’s got one.

Dakota2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I test drove a GMC AT4 and a then a ram power wagon. I thought the GMC AT4 was very low par compared to the power wagon.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone’s got one.
To be fair the PW isn’t comparable to the GMC AT4. It’s like comparing a Raptor with a Ram sport. No contest.