Found this in my oil.......??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
It looks dirty to me. That film on one side and around the rolled section. Then the shiny metal edge. I'm going to speculate that it was in the oil drain pan before he drained the oil.OilPanTrash10-16-2020.JPG

clanceman427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does the engine have an oil dipstick? if so, maybe that is a guide inside the oil pan which was meant to help guide the dipstick in. Like on my 1995 5.9l, the pan has a pathway to guide the dipstick down because the dipstick goes thru a bend.

RAM08110719

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L V8 E85
4500 miles. To me that means you have a new truck under factory warranty. Put your dealer trust aside. That is easier said then done on many occasions. Take it to the dealer for warranty work. This falls under power train portion of warranty. Demand they find the answer. Find where in the engine it came from. Replace the broken portions in the engine. That is what the warranty is there for. When these things built by humans fail. That piece of metal is not to be ignored or joked about. That is a possible big issue. It is on the dealer to fix it now for free.

Their is a time for jokes. This isn't one of them. This could become bad later. Go to the dealer now!

I'm not laughing. I'm concerned. So would you and should you if it came from your new truck.

Take it in is what you need to do.

That is something that never should of happened.

Torque

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In the pic with your finger, it looks like very thin metal. I'm going to guess possibly from a gasket. When I put headers on my truck, one of the layers of the exhaust manifold gaskets kinda looked like that.

If everything is running fine, the dealership isn't going to do anything about it and I sure wouldn't want them tearing into the engine to find it with that low of miles. I would show them what you found and make sure it's noted so if anything down the road does occur, you have that recorded.

Teamduke

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you have the filter still cut it open and check for any metal filings, you might see some in there as it is your first break in change which would be normal but if it has substantial metal keep the filter to show your dealership.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If you have the filter still cut it open and check for any metal filings, you might see some in there as it is your first break in change which would be normal but if it has substantial metal keep the filter to show your dealership.
Great recommendation...maybe throw a big magnet on the pan too.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
4500 miles. To me that means you have a new truck under factory warranty. Put your dealer trust aside. That is easier said then done on many occasions. Take it to the dealer for warranty work. This falls under power train portion of warranty. Demand they find the answer. Find where in the engine it came from. Replace the broken portions in the engine. That is what the warranty is there for. When these things built by humans fail. That piece of metal is not to be ignored or joked about. That is a possible big issue. It is on the dealer to fix it now for free.

Their is a time for jokes. This isn't one of them. This could become bad later. Go to the dealer now!

I'm not laughing. I'm concerned. So would you and should you if it came from your new truck.

Definitely put the dealership on notice. Maybe @RamCares can open a star case?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Daddyhas2boys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My question is how did you get that out through the drain hole?

Scott Colbert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Send an oil the Oil to a Lab. Call Blackstone they will send you a a collection package. It it's internals from the engine there should be signs in the oil. It will also tell you how your engine is doing.

I think that piece looks like a black oil filter casing material. Painted sheet metal.
Two possibilities immediately come to mind:
1. The OP changes his own oil. He cut open a filter previously and used same drain pain in process. The roll in the metal shows the process of opening a filter with pliers. I have done this technique. The mistake is only the OP thinks he saw it come out of the drain hole but it somehow was already present.
2. It came from oil filter as debris from manufacturing process and as filter was propped upside down to drain found its way to drain pan.
Judging by curl and picture, I don't think the gauge is heavy enough to be engine oil pan.

We'll never know for sure.

Good luck and if my opinion is any solace I don't see this piece as a sign of engine failure in process.

Cruzrs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6
Looks like road debris may have been under the truck and happened to fall into the pan

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If that came out of my truck while draining the oil, I would be concerned as to what else is lingering in the pan ...
I'd pull the pan off to have a good look and also checking the oil pump as well ...
If you're still under warranty then I would get a dealership you trust to do the work since this could cause greater damage if there is in fact other metal pieces flopping around ...
If a dealership refuses, then contact FCA, tell them the problem and get them to authorize the servicing ...

Octane

Reaction score
Run engine till it wont run and when its torn down you'll find the problem

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Not to be funny, but this is like someone finding a roach in a bag of potato chips or finding anything foreign in a food product. Yes it could be legitimate, yes it could've been placed there as fraud or yes it could have happened somewhere after opening the package. I doubt the dealer will go all-in and tear apart the engine based on a customer claiming the object was in the drain pan. I'm not saying the claim is ********, but will the dealer take responsibility and invest time and money into such an unsubstantiated claim? Worth a try, but I don't think so.
I think they will say "it must have been in the pan or fallen in the pan". Just a hunch.

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
What is it made of? Metal or plastic? I doubt that just this piece would cause harm to your motor as it is too small to enter the screen on the oil pickup. It could have entered during the build or in the new oil or filter.
Reread OP and I see it is metal. It almost looks like it could be a bushing or an insert of some kind. If you could get it to the people who build the engine they might recognize it as part of the motor.

Last edited:

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Why do people say it could be from the oil filter? He's got a V6. No metal in the filter at all. It's a cartridge. How much does a pan gasket cost? The thing is tiny should be easy enough to remove and replace. Buy the gasket and check it out yourself. It beats worring about it.PentastarOilPan.jpg

Last edited:

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why do people say it could be from the oil filter? He's got a V6. No metal in the filter at all. It's a cartridge. How much does a pan gasket cost? The thing is tiny should be easy enough to remove and replace. Buy the gasket and check it out yourself. It beats worring about it.View attachment 225114
You sure it even has a gasket? Thought they just had rvt On them.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like road debris may have been under the truck and happened to fall into the pan

That's what I was wondering, maybe while changing the filter etc, it fell from somewhere and landed in the drain pan.....may never know

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Personally, if the engine is running good and has good oil pressure, no abnormal noises, etc. I'd just run it and not worry about it.

If that did come out of the drain hole on the oil pan, which I don't know that it did for sure and neither does the OP unless he physically saw it drop out after the drain plug was removed, then I'd suspect that got in there somehow during the engine assembly process and was bouncing around till he drained the oil.

If that is the case, did it do any damage? Who knows? Probably not. I highly doubt the dealer is going to pull the oil pan because a customer tells them they found that when they drained the oil, but anything is possible.