"Four Wheel Drive Shift in Progress" ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gulfstream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Okay, I've experienced my first issue with my 18 Powerwagon, it has about 18k miles. I'm on a road trip and was cruising though Wyoming doing about 80mph, cruise control on, and I start getting "four wheel drive shift in progress"messages on the dash. It's a very brief flash of a message but it showed up numerous times during that day. Nothing indicated that anything was actually "shifting", no vibrations, noise, feel, etc. I did a Google search and numerous people have experienced the issue but I can't seem to nail down a cause or fix. So, has anyone here had this issue or know of a fix, it's going to the dealer when I get back, at least to document the issue?

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I get that and, "service 4WD soon" and "service electronic brake system." Every time I take it to dealer, they can't find anything, no stored faults, and jut re-flash. Many say the 4WD shift in progress anomaly can be fixed by replacing the shift sensor on T-case. I have the sensor, just haven't got around to it. So hard to say if that fixes the 4WD shift in progress issue.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had my fair share of electrical problems with my 17. Only time I’ve seen that occur in my 18 is a very specific hill that is local to me. At the top of it there’s a light and you typically get stopped halfway up. When pressing the gas after being stopped i’ve seen that message pop up shortly. But I’ve also seen the four-wheel-drive lever move slightly rearward at the same time without touching it. Just from the force going up the hill if that makes sense.

Never had it come up any other time

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've got a 2019 and experienced that once. I pushed the shifter forward slightly (not actually shifting into Neutral, but enough pressure to make sure it was firmly in 2H). Issue went away and haven't seen it since. My theory was the shifter was pushed far enough back to trigger the sensor but not enough to actually enough to shift it - I don't know if that's the case or where/how the sensor is activated to know if what I did actually did anything. In my case the message hasn't come back. Now if the pesky Axle Unlock light blinking issue I have would permanently go away...

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
It's ironic for truck so capable it has a host of gremlins. You'd think those engineers would have it figured out by now. I guess they take no action until NHTSA compels them into a recall. MOPAR wouldn't voluntarily recall for such minutia like false alerts.

OP
OP
G

Gulfstream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I guess there's nothing definitive on this issue...but luckily it hasn't returned since the initial incident. I'll keep an eye on it and document it on my next dealer visit. Thanks for all the input!

OP
OP
G

Gulfstream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Sitting here thinking about this issue...hell, is there anything that can be shifted electronically or moved uncommanded anyway, with the column and floor shifter??

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Sitting here thinking about this issue...hell, is there anything that can be shifted electronically or moved uncommanded anyway, with the column and floor shifter??

Yes. Because while you have a column shifter and a floor shifter...neither is actually doing the shifting, IIRC.

For instance, I KNOW on my 2017 PW that, when I pull the floor shifter, even though the linkages move, there is actually a servo that shifts it into 4WD - I know because I've heard it actuate while the truck was sitting still. Even rolled down the window next to the garage to make sure that's what I was hearing.

I'm relatively certain too that the column shifter isn't connected to the trans by anything but wires - automakers have been trying for years to eliminate the shift cable. I know they have successfully done so on cars and 1500-series trucks, even my wife's '07 Expedition didn't have a shift cable. I wouldn't be surprised if they took care of it on big trucks now too.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm relatively certain too that the column shifter isn't connected to the trans by anything but wires - automakers have been trying for years to eliminate the shift cable. I know they have successfully done so on cars and 1500-series trucks, even my wife's '07 Expedition didn't have a shift cable. I wouldn't be surprised if they took care of it on big trucks now too.
If your HD truck has the shift dial then yes it is shift by wire, it uses the same 8HP75 transmission as the 1500s. The RFE transmissions with the column/console shifter uses linkage cable.
On a side note, there is probably few to no vehicles built nowadays that use a throttle linkage, they're all controlled by wire.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

While there is a linkage for the floor shifter for the tcase (and the column shifter for the trans), at the end of the day you wont have 4wd until the electronics allow the CAD collar in the front axle to slide over.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another fun electronic fact that is a bit off topic, but...if your ABS sensor goes bad (or gets purposely unplugged, in my case), the CAD in the front axle will not work, so no 4by4.

Breaker Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Another fun electronic fact that is a bit off topic, but...if your ABS sensor goes bad (or gets purposely unplugged, in my case), the CAD in the front axle will not work, so no 4by4.

I second this.
Even a speed sensor ( in rear wheel ) stopped the 4x4 in my 1500 outdoorsman 2017.

In the PW, unplugging the ABS pump fuse ( 60 amps ) works fine though.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I get that and, "service 4WD soon" and "service electronic brake system." Every time I take it to dealer, they can't find anything, no stored faults, and jut re-flash. Many say the 4WD shift in progress anomaly can be fixed by replacing the shift sensor on T-case. I have the sensor, just haven't got around to it. So hard to say if that fixes the 4WD shift in progress issue.
You happen to have a part number for the sensor? Mine was flashing so bad a month ago I actually had to start using the analog gauge for how fast I was moving. Mine will clear up and go away but it also like to come back overnight and has usually been worse on its return. This last time, gone for 8 months and then over night, hijacked my evic for days. I've tried everything with shifter position, wiggle, shifting.
I didn't get a straight answer from God almighty Google on the sensor but I'd like to try this fix.
Tia

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
You happen to have a part number for the sensor? Mine was flashing so bad a month ago I actually had to start using the analog gauge for how fast I was moving. Mine will clear up and go away but it also like to come back overnight and has usually been worse on its return. This last time, gone for 8 months and then over night, hijacked my evic for days. I've tried everything with shifter position, wiggle, shifting.
I didn't get a straight answer from God almighty Google on the sensor but I'd like to try this fix.
Tia

68211454AA

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
yeah I noticed my 18 doing this the other day too. Just did it a couple times and it's gone away since.

Buttyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2018 PW does it too. I notice it occurs after a heavy rain. Good to know about that sensor. I need to make a mental note about that.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
In vicinity of where the shift input lever is on the transfer case. Sits above the boss.

wis-ski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 17 PW does this, about 1 every year. Disconnect all the connectors on the Transfer case, apply fresh dielectric and it goes away for about a year, if I don't it reoccurs until I manage to find time to do it. Replaced all the connectors with new from RAM last time, so we will see in about 10 months if it was crappie connectors. Annoying as hell!