"Four Wheel Drive Shift in Progress" ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glock273

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 16 and I see this from time to time. Moving the 4 wheel drive shift lever solves it for a while. I love the truck, but it is FCA so electrical problems are almost a given. I will need to try the grease on the connector. That has solved my backup camera problem twice.

OP
OP
G

Gulfstream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Just got back from my road trip and the problem has gotten progressively worse... once it warms up the message is displayed as much as the digital speedometer rendering it about useless. I'm going to drop it off at the dealer in the next day or two, I hope they can find the issue and fix it.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Just got back from my road trip and the problem has gotten progressively worse... once it warms up the message is displayed as much as the digital speedometer rendering it about useless. I'm going to drop it off at the dealer in the next day or two, I hope they can find the issue and fix it.

Appreciate it if you could come back with the fix. About all the dealer did for me: 1. Couldn't replicate it; 2. No faults stored; and 3. Re-flashed the PCM. Didn't fix it.

Last edited:

q1werty2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the manual shift 4WD lever on the floor. This is tied to the BW 44-47 transfer case with linkage, not via wire as someone mentioned earlier.

I had the "4WD shift in Progress" message for a very long time and the dealer could not figure it out. Like many, I just lived with it.

It eventually turned worse and the ESC light came on along with the 4WD light. It even engaged the front axle actuator. I had to unplug the front axle actuator in order to get the truck home.

Anyway, I fixed this with part number 68211454AA (4WD Switch with Magnetic Assist). This switch tells the computer what mode you have selected.

What happens is that the plunger gets "sucked-up" into the housing of the switch by the magnet. It eventually completely fails and is never able to protrude again, which is what indicates 2WD.

It is located right on top of the t-case accessed from the driver side. Photo attached with bad switch on the bottom.

This is a 30 minute fix. No need to remove any linkage. You will need a pick to remove the connector and a 1.5" socket. Take care not to break the plastic connector.
Don't forget to install the O-ring.

There will be no faults stored as the computer is still receiving the signal from the switch. From the CPU point of view, it is simply shifting to 4WD.

Part is super cheap and I got it off of Amazon for about half the price the dealer wanted.

What I don't understand is why the dealers can't figure this out.

Hope this helps someone.

FYI - I don't think this applies to the T-cases that have the electronic shift actuator (knob or button on dash).

20200727_185322.jpg

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the manual shift 4WD lever on the floor. This is tied to the BW 44-47 transfer case with linkage, not via wire as someone mentioned earlier.

I had the "4WD shift in Progress" message for a very long time and the dealer could not figure it out. Like many, I just lived with it.

It eventually turned worse and the ESC light came on along with the 4WD light. It even engaged the front axle actuator. I had to unplug the front axle actuator in order to get the truck home.

Anyway, I fixed this with part number 68211454AA (4WD Switch with Magnetic Assist). This switch tells the computer what mode you have selected.

What happens is that the plunger gets "sucked-up" into the housing of the switch by the magnet. It eventually completely fails and is never able to protrude again, which is what indicates 2WD.

It is located right on top of the t-case accessed from the driver side. Photo attached with bad switch on the bottom.

This is a 30 minute fix. No need to remove any linkage. You will need a pick to remove the connector and a 1.5" socket. Take care not to break the plastic connector.

There will be no faults stored as the computer is still receiving the signal from the switch. From the CPU point of view, it is simply shifting to 4WD.

Part is super cheap and I got it off of Amazon for about half the price the dealer wanted.

Hope this helps someone.

FYI - I don't think this applies to the T-cases that have the electronic shift actuator (knob or button on dash).

View attachment 216939

Great info!!!!

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
thanks for this. I'm going to order one and toss it in mine before it gets cold again. I had this happen once already but just the once.

2001ws6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Wow, mine just started doing this as well. Thanks for posting the part #.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
yeah I just had the service 4x4 light come on on my truck the other day while I was out of town. And I'm sure since the light isn't on at the moment the dealer won't fix it. Might as well order the part up.

Buttyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Hope this helps someone.

View attachment 216939

Thanks for the detailed information. I couldn't find this part associated with the 2018 PW. Is it? I get that error message sometimes and wanted to buy a spare just to have on hand.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Hope this helps someone.

View attachment 216939

Any thread tape involved or anything or just an o ring that I'm guessing is re used or include? I haven't gotten my part in yet.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Any thread tape involved or anything or just an o ring that I'm guessing is re used or include? I haven't gotten my part in yet.

No o-ring included with new switch, or at least mine didn't have it. O-ring part # 68163881AA

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Hope this helps someone.

View attachment 216939
How the fk did you get the connector off?

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
If you have a pick, awl, or dental instrument with a curved tip, place along side the connector side toward TC, press in, and lift (or where ever you see the latch at; inspection mirror helpful with this). Should come off. Not much room in that area either. I found it easier to drop on a deep socket and come in from behind and top of TC with ratchet. I played hell getting new sensor to thread back in. Has to be just right and already aggravating since view is limited, just about all of it by feel.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah my latch is on the back unfortunately. POS

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yeah my latch is on the back unfortunately. POS

I'm convinced auto manufacturers like to make this difficult on purpose.

I had an ICP sensor go bad on my old 6.0 Powerstroke years ago (typical failure, oil blew through the electronics). I decided to replace it without pulling the turbo.

My wife, bless her smaller stature and hands, had to take the connector off, because I physically couldn't get my hand in there to do it. I also had to customize a deep-well socket and use about 24" of extension to be able to get more than one click at a time on the ratchet, never mind being able to torque it properly.

Or the '99 GMC Jimmy I had as a kid - changing the spark plugs was a long process without taking out the inner fenders.

Those have been the most memorable, but I have lost count of how many times I've had to do asinine things to work on a vehicle without tearing the whole thing apart.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Try plugs on a 2001 Camaro Ss. Lol. Impossible.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
yeah I'll just have to struggle with it a bit when I have more time. Hard when you have two little munchkins with little patience.