Fox 2.5 coilovers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Krawczyk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For the guys that have the 2.5 fox coilovers, I just replaced my 6" strut spacer with them and after install I measured and I'm sitting a inch lower on driverside and a bit over a inch in passenger side...im assuming that I can fix that with buying a spanner wrench and adjusting the preload on the spring...if you have done it any idea what a full turn of the ring gives you in height...thanks

Pic of my mechanic installing them20200514_152532.jpg 20200514_115003.jpg

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, typically one full turn on the CO is about .2" of lift so you want 5 full turns for 1"
I'll do one more on the driver side to counteract the weight of the fuel tank.
As to what you need to adjust them, this is what i have now asides from the tool provided by King.
Don't know if this will fit your Fox coilovers, but Fox should have included the tool with the CO's. Call Fox if yours didn't or buy one that fits

https://www.polyperformance.com/kin...9c5BsEJQEiLCfLimrjz-ecpUQVAIroxkaAuewEALw_wcB

My Kings came with a version that doesn't have the t-handle, so i used that and the tip of 5/16 punch i cut to rotate the collars Why ? you'll see when you do it yourself trying to turn the collar with the reservoir hose being where it's along with the strut tower and uca all in the middle of everything. Bought the t-handle one because it makes the job a lot easier.

49898201107_59b3e0ea9e_k.jpg2020-05-15_07-46-37 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Check post #143 here for details:
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/2014-ram-1500-express-crew-cab.124750/page-15

To adjust, lift the front, wheel in air, take the wheel off, loosen the pinch bolt 1 turn, the rotate the collars.
This are King instructions but should give you the idea
49897891361_a6eed1e2ce_k.jpg2020-05-15_07-46-48 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Last edited:

azcoyote

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, typically one full turn on the CO is about .2" of lift so you want 5 full turns for 1"
I'll do one more on the driver side to counteract the weight of the fuel tank.
As to what you need to adjust them, this is what i have now asides from the tool provided by King.
Don't know if this will fit your Fox coilovers, but Fox should have included the tool with the CO's. Call Fox if yours didn't or buy one that fits
2020-05-15_07-46-48 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Do the Fox 2.5s let you TURN them under compression? I saw some posts about the 2.0 requiring a spring compressor to change. Just curious if they are the same.

Last edited:

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do the Fox 2.5s let you TURN them under compression? I saw some posts about the 2.0 requiring a spring compressor to change. Just curious if they are the same.
Yes the 2.0's from Fox have a different adjusting collar system where you have to compress the spring to turn the collars. The 2.5's are different and they adjust the easy way. The OE Fox 2.5 for the RAM seem to have a double collar at the top? @novelmike can let us know better since he's running the 2.5 Fox CO in his truck, if so they don't use a pinch bolt but use the top of the collar to lock the lower one. As judged by the picture it seems the 6" Fox 2.5 from BDS ? may use the single collar system like King or Icon 2.5 for example.
This is how you adjust those with the pinch bolt

OP
OP
Jeff Krawczyk

Jeff Krawczyk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pretty ****** of fox in my opinion to not include the tool to adjust them, looked online and they were about 50 bucks....may just end up using a punch to stick in the hole...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
For the guys that have the 2.5 fox coilovers, I just replaced my 6" strut spacer with them and after install I measured and I'm sitting a inch lower on driverside and a bit over a inch in passenger side...im assuming that I can fix that with buying a spanner wrench and adjusting the preload on the spring...if you have done it any idea what a full turn of the ring gives you in height...thanks

Pic of my mechanic installing themView attachment 207627 View attachment 207628
Gotta let me know how it handles compared to stock. Im deciding between Fox and King.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put a set of 2.0 fox coilovers on my wifes denali. Tried adjusting them down as they came setup with way too much lift. The 2.0’s have an oddball adjustment nut, and of course fox dosnt include a wrench for it. I suppose they dont bother because if you try to adjust them with some load on the springs they will just strip out on the threads...ask me how I know. I even had a coil compressor tool on it (just not 100% load off). Fox was horrible to work with...took me forever to get a new nut from them. It was a struggle for a while, but I finally got it all fixed up and where I want it.

But I will never adjust them again without 100% of the load off that nut LOL! The Adjustment nuts on the 2.5 fox units and kings are certainly more robust looking.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Isnt their a difference in the material that the tubes are made of . Know my 2.0s were aluminum but something sticks in my head the 2.5s arent. Been a while since I played with a Tacoma .

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I currently have the Fox 2.5’s on my Ram. And previously I had the Fox 2.0.
I did adjust the 2.5’s after install to make sure i was even on the Left and Right side. I watched a ton of videos and read a bunch in the forums about guys saying you can adjust the 2.5’s on the truck. Even though Fox doesn’t recommend it. Some guys use cool wrench from Kartek and others say you can just use a center punch because it’ll fit inside the holes perfectly.

I was planning on going the center punch route. But I starting thinking I might round out the holes on the collar since they are aluminum. And if I did damage them, that would be the only thing I see when my truck is parked and I’m walking up to is. So, I bought the Shankly Coil Spring Compressor off Amazon because I heard they fit the coilovers and they’re safer than the Autozone rental or one from Harbor Freight. I highly recommend the Shankly! And I am glad I went with the compressor over trying to do it without. It seems well made, easy to use, and safe!
You CAN use the Shankly while the coilover is still on the truck!!! You’ll have to unbolt and move the tie rod out of the way though. And maybe the sway bar linkage too, I forget. I do not remember the reason why I had, wanted to compress the coil while it was still on the truck. It might have been I wanted the shock collar Allen bolt in a different place?? I installed the coilovers a year ago and it seems like it was a lot longer than that!

I was told by Fox that adjusting the preload 1/8”=1/4” — 1/4”=1/2” lift and so on. And I would say that is accurate from my experience.

Also the Fox 2.0’s do have a aluminum shock body. And the 2.5’s are steel.
And Shankly also fits the Fox 2.0’s in case anyone’s wondering.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I currently have the Fox 2.5’s on my Ram. And previously I had the Fox 2.0.
I did adjust the 2.5’s after install to make sure i was even on the Left and Right side. I watched a ton of videos and read a bunch in the forums about guys saying you can adjust the 2.5’s on the truck. Even though Fox doesn’t recommend it. Some guys use cool wrench from Kartek and others say you can just use a center punch because it’ll fit inside the holes perfectly.

I was planning on going the center punch route. But I starting thinking I might round out the holes on the collar since they are aluminum. And if I did damage them, that would be the only thing I see when my truck is parked and I’m walking up to is. So, I bought the Shankly Coil Spring Compressor off Amazon because I heard they fit the coilovers and they’re safer than the Autozone rental or one from Harbor Freight. I highly recommend the Shankly! And I am glad I went with the compressor over trying to do it without. It seems well made, easy to use, and safe!
You CAN use the Shankly while the coilover is still on the truck!!! You’ll have to unbolt and move the tie rod out of the way though. And maybe the sway bar linkage too, I forget. I do not remember the reason why I had, wanted to compress the coil while it was still on the truck. It might have been I wanted the shock collar Allen bolt in a different place?? I installed the coilovers a year ago and it seems like it was a lot longer than that!

I was told by Fox that adjusting the preload 1/8”=1/4” — 1/4”=1/2” lift and so on. And I would say that is accurate from my experience.

Also the Fox 2.0’s do have a aluminum shock body. And the 2.5’s are steel.
And Shankly also fits the Fox 2.0’s in case anyone’s wondering.
Do they have double adjuster collars like in the pictures or as in single collar with pinch bolt?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963