foxacoustics / Sub Combos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ecofx86

Ecofx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a fiberglass box with dual 12 upfiring(almost identical to a fiberglass net audio box but homeade) and I asked about the alpine type s, people said rolloff would suck with the alpine and not to use. But would like others who used them opinions. Same forum said basically anything will suck because of upfiring box.

I went with a fox box 12 inch vented. according to the specs kicker comp R would be a better choice of woofer. so I'm going to go with kicker.

Net audio told me bass roll off shouldn't be a problem.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I went with a fox box 12 inch vented. according to the specs kicker comp R would be a better choice of woofer. so I'm going to go with kicker.

Net audio told me bass roll off shouldn't be a problem.
Mine isn't vented. I was going to try to vent one side and play with one sub to see difference if it would work, wouldn't cost much to test.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same forum said basically anything will suck because of upfiring box.

I'm curious, which forum said that? I know that my upfiring box sounds freaking amazing.

Chris Caperton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the dual ported fox box running two Sundown SA10’s. The airspace is perfect for 10’s even though the fox website says 12’s. Running those on a Rockford T1500.1 and it bangs and will WAY overpower my mids and highs if I want it too. Lol.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I'm curious, which forum said that? I know that my upfiring box sounds freaking amazing.
Car audio forum, people said, is like yelling in a pillow, be happy with the crappy pioneers and stop the money pit because it will never sound good, everything was negative. Now I understand why bass isn't like a suv etc, but honestly even with the crappy pioneers, bass is pretty good. I was just asking about a 500-600 rms 12 that would be good in just under 1cf for each. Xmax of the pioneers is horrible and I know soon these subs will eventually burn. One person recommended Skar SDR 12s, which look good, rest just schooled me on upfiring box and how much they suck. I did have a question Tom, I was thinking of different ways to play with box, have you ever seen anyone do a up fire box then do a sheet of mdf and raise it like 3 inches over subs to have subs reflect off the mdf under seat? Was just a thought.

Last edited:

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
is this brand any good?
never heard of them
Its a house brand, I know the owner of Sonic. NVX is his made brand.
The owners name is Nate Victor, awesome guy, I knew him before he stared Sonic, he was like 18.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Car audio forum
Take most those recommendations with a grain of salt....Id bet 80% of them never installed professionally, or shade tree installers that have no idea.
In my 30 years in audio, I find most on "some" forums don't have the knowledge. Some forums are filled with knowledge. Just have to be careful which ones. And post counts don't mean they are the intelligent ones.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
my upfire box sounded amazing as well.....it got loud too. keyboard commandos

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Car audio forum, people said, is like yelling in a pillow, be happy with the crappy pioneers and stop the money pit because it will never sound good, everything was negative. Now I understand why bass isn't like a suv etc, but honestly even with the crappy pioneers, bass is pretty good. I was just asking about a 500-600 rms 12 that would be good in just under 1cf for each. Xmax of the pioneers is horrible and I know soon these subs will eventually burn. One person recommended Skar SDR 12s, which look good, rest just schooled me on upfiring box and how much they suck. I did have a question Tom, I was thinking of different ways to play with box, have you ever seen anyone do a up fire box then do a sheet of mdf and raise it like 3 inches over subs to have subs reflect off the mdf under seat? Was just a thought.

I’d say to read diymobileaudio.com and dump CAF. You still get a few knuckleheads on DIYMA but for the most part the people there are knowledgeable (and some are amazingly so).

Another great place to get good info (if you have Facebook) is the Strictly Sound Quality group. Be warned though, it’s a lot of high end stuff and competition SQ systems. There is a ****-ton of knowledge but be prepared to have someone recommend a $2,000 solution like it’s nothing. LOL

As for subs, I’d recommend the Audiofrog GB or GS series as well as JL’s lines.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Thanks, I am going to do one final attempt at this before buying new subs. Ok, I know, Rockville, but. When I bought my amp(Rockville) there was a promo deal with amp(cea 1,000 watts) (2) 12 inch 600 rms subs and wiring kit with fuse etc. Think I paid $219. Subs were in box at start, but way box was cut for the subwoofer, the k6 had a odd piece that comes out and hit box, then I had hard time sealing(but those subs hit lows much better, xmax is 26mm). With a 3/4 trim ring, the odd piece will not hit box. So now I noticed my pioneers when I turn bass up, one sub is flexing and wanting to jump out of the box and I noticed a few screws holding sub loose, so still is not sealing good and can feel air leak. I bought a 3/4 inch mdf 12 inch trim ring, will put it on box, use it to have a good start at solid mounting points, then when I install subs will do a strip of butyl around entire sub. Just need to figure out what glue to use to mount ring, was thinking like the 3m marine sealant, there is one edge with slight slope giving me the main issues and no sturdy area to screw it down on one side.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I’d say to read diymobileaudio.com and dump CAF. You still get a few knuckleheads on DIYMA but for the most part the people there are knowledgeable (and some are amazingly so).

Another great place to get good info (if you have Facebook) is the Strictly Sound Quality group. Be warned though, it’s a lot of high end stuff and competition SQ systems. There is a ****-ton of knowledge but be prepared to have someone recommend a $2,000 solution like it’s nothing. LOL

As for subs, I’d recommend the Audiofrog GB or GS series as well as JL’s lines.
I totally agree, CAF is filled with toe dippers who really shouldn't give advice. Atleast on diyma, reviews carry weight, people will call you out for saying stupid sh*t, and many people are striving for that last 5% of SQ....which is expensive, time consuming, and mind boggling. I mean, when peeps are pouring concrete into their seats, you know sh*t is getting real lol