Fresh Air Vent Water Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85PRProspector

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure exactly how this ended up on the 3rd Gen board- If a Moderator sees this, it needs to be moved to 1st gen.

Discovered the source of my wet drivers side carpet today in the rain. I suspected the lower floor board fresh air vent, but wasn't sure. I pulled the carpet back in prep for the upcoming rain. Sure enough, seems to be working its way around the vent/ shield area. I pulled the trim off as well as the vent itself and discovered that the foam/ seal/ insulation has essentially degraded to a porous sponge over time. I'm planning to use some sort of closed cell foam strip to replace this, and perhaps some sort of additional water diversion up inside the cowl/ fender area duct work.

Curious if anyone else has experienced this leak (I can't imagine they haven't) and what their "fix" may have been.

Vehicle in question here is an 85 Power Ram Prospector- original owner garage kept it, so not sure he ever experienced this leak. When I pulled the carpet back, the floor underneath looks like new, zero rust at all, so obviously hadn't had water sitting there in the past.

floorboard.JPG

Last edited:

Andera

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You are so lucky, My floor is all rusty. I have the rubber mat... so all water just stays trapped and rusts it all over. I pulled the brake lever to get the kick plate and vent out. It is not obvious to me how the water is getting in past the vent door. When I put my hand way up... there's a little tray that the water runs off... and is directed forward.
How did you make out with yours?
I am bewildered... almost nothing comes up for this in searches... and no replies when I do find something. I've even posted on Dodge fb club pages... and just stupid answers.