From Ram to Ridgeline, back to Ram!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrHamburgerMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Hi everyone, glad to be part of RF, I’ve been snooping a few weeks now. Here’s my short story....
I’ve owned many pickups over the years from Dakota, ram, f-150, ranger, Subaru brat (original model) and Mazda. In 2017 I bought a new loaded Laramie, drove it for over 2 years and 50k miles. While I liked the truck, I decided to trade it in on a Honda Ridgeline to see what all the hype was about. I drove it for 3 months and while I liked it at first, I grew to hate it within 2 months. My best bud got a new 2020 Ram and all I could think about was why the h*ll I traded mine in. So, I called my friend at the Honda dealer and asked him what to do. He set me up with a fairly local Ram dealer where he is good friends with the sales manager. I made a visit and they had a new Ram I liked, gave me a great trade value on the Honda and a pretty darn good price on the Ram, no negotiating. Picked it up a few days later. It’s been a few weeks now and I’m really happy to be back in a Ram. I describe it like this - it feels like I came back home after being on a crappy vacation. Ever have one of those?

P.S. - any recommendations for purchasing an extended warranty? The one the dealer offered didn’t impress me (3rd party).

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
I am moving from a nice but not powerful enough 2019 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab to a Ram 1500. I need more power and range for towing our travel trailer. My daughter is buying the Frontier. She produces TV and videos and wants the carrying capacity, real off road capability and fun factor of a mid-size pickup. Plus the price is right, she's getting the dad special, basically taking over my payments. I have ordered a Ram Crew Cab 1500 with the short bed, eco diesel and 33 gallon gas tank. We are planning to tow our 22 foot trailer to Alaska once Canada allows Americans back in. I am looking forward to a much quieter ride and power of the torquey diesel.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, glad to be part of RF, I’ve been snooping a few weeks now. Here’s my short story....
I’ve owned many pickups over the years from Dakota, ram, f-150, ranger, Subaru brat (original model) and Mazda. In 2017 I bought a new loaded Laramie, drove it for over 2 years and 50k miles. While I liked the truck, I decided to trade it in on a Honda Ridgeline to see what all the hype was about. I drove it for 3 months and while I liked it at first, I grew to hate it within 2 months. My best bud got a new 2020 Ram and all I could think about was why the h*ll I traded mine in. So, I called my friend at the Honda dealer and asked him what to do. He set me up with a fairly local Ram dealer where he is good friends with the sales manager. I made a visit and they had a new Ram I liked, gave me a great trade value on the Honda and a pretty darn good price on the Ram, no negotiating. Picked it up a few days later. It’s been a few weeks now and I’m really happy to be back in a Ram. I describe it like this - it feels like I came back home after being on a crappy vacation. Ever have one of those?

P.S. - any recommendations for purchasing an extended warranty? The one the dealer offered didn’t impress me (3rd party).
If you are able to pay cash up front these are the best people IMHO for a genuine factory extended warranty: https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/
If you use PAYINFULL in the discount box it takes $365 off the price. If you need to finance it they offer 12 month financing and I believe the best discount code for that is DAMON2 and it takes like $200 or so off the price. There are several other places to get a factory extended warranty but these folks are the cheapest in my experience.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Take the cost of a factory extended warranty and put that money into a savings account. Use it only on repairs after the standard factory warranty runs out......

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel

Welcome back, and welcome to RamForum. Hah, those Brats were kinda cool with the rear-facing seats!

OP
OP
M

MrHamburgerMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Welcome back, and welcome to RamForum. Hah, those Brats were kinda cool with the rear-facing seats!
I loved my Brat! It had the jump seats in the bed with the wholly sh*t handles. I ran the snot out of that car and was always working on it. Axels, CVs, heads, broken exhaust manifold bolts, shocks, etc, etc.

OP
OP
M

MrHamburgerMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Welcome! Ridgeline? What were you thinking, lol. Just kidding, sort of, lol.
Well, that’s part of the reason I made my post. To let others know about my experience with the RL. Live and learn. The interior was not intuitive at all. The display functionality was horrible. And I really missed sitting up high and being to see like you can out of a real pickup.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I loved my Brat! It had the jump seats in the bed with the wholly sh*t handles. I ran the snot out of that car and was always working on it. Axels, CVs, heads, broken exhaust manifold bolts, shocks, etc, etc.
Lol, good times...

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Im going to look at a Ridgeline tomorrow. I love my Ram but it absolutely kills my back on long trips. I don’t tow anything and have camped twice due to my back.

I had a Pilot (wife’s old car) that I sold and bought my daughter’s civics with the proceeds. Damnit if those civics are more comfortable than my seats.

Anyway...we shall see...lol

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to the forums and congrats for coming back to your senses. Now I won’t ***** foot around when I say a Ridgeline ain’t no truck neither is a Brat, They are somewhere between a Car and an El Camino or El Ranchero. Kinda like calling a Chevy Corvair a sports Car.