Front ARB Locker Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MetalDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
MetalDog, it's funny how many Toyota guys (me included) are buying RAMs and searching out technical info. I'm still trying to confirm whether my "anti-spin" rear diff is clutch (likely) or gear-driven...

I'm up just North of Vancouver, WA; would you be willing to share who quoted you? I've had mixed experiences with Portland area vendors for gear/diff work, and am trying to line up other options.

I managed to literally get stuck backing up the incline of my paved driveway in the rain the other night. When I put one rear wheel off into some mud, both rears just spun so I don't think the "anti-spin" is going to keep me comfortable for too long. In fairness, I've got the OEM Firestone 30" base tires on yet, and combined with the torque of the 6.7 it requires lots of finesse not to put the diff into play.

Sure, it is a shop recommended my Nitro Gears called The Offroad Shop. [email protected]

This is his email:

It looks like the front locker is a ARB RD197 $1130.00
Carrier bearings if needed $90.00
Oil $30.00
Labor $600.00

OP
OP
M

MetalDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
most people on forums dont know how the vehicle works mechanically. sorry this isnt a toyota board:anitoof:

you might do some research and see if the new rear housing is still using any of the older 11.5 components like carrier, ram has known to do that sort of stuff. if so then your all set for a arb. but they may use all new internals. ive just no experience with the new housing to be of any help

Yah, the IH8MUD forums are best in the world IMHO for 4x4, builds, guides and community. The worst boards I have seen are for the G class... bunch of idiots trying to figure out how to change from chrome to gold trim and get 24 inch rims on their rides.

2manyprojects

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD
MetalDog, thanks for the response. I'll check them out.

Have you been out in the snow today? Woke up to 12" of fresh stuff here, and a Chevy 2500 stuck on the side off the road opposite my driveway; It amazes me how people run their tires bald then wonder why they can't go anywhere when it rains or snows in Portland...

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Wow! thanks crazy jerry for the insight, never considered that....

maybe you could show me where the reference is that describes anything beyond "anti-spin" ? I have read it, as well as the related upfitter's manual and other RAM publications. I apologize if my question wasn't worthy of an answer.

in my 2018 RAM TRUCK 1500/2500/3500 OWNER’S MANUAL
Front and Rear Axle – 2500/3500 Models:
We recommend you use SAE 75W-85 HD Ram GL-5 Synthetic Axle Lubricant. Limited slip additive is not required for Limited-Slip Rear Axles. (Torsen)

RAM 2500/3500 2020 OWNER’S MANUAL
Front and Rear Axle:
We recommend you use SAE 75W-85 HD Ram GL-5 Synthetic Axle Lubricant in 9.25 Front, 11.5 and 12.0 (Single Rear Wheel) Rear Axles. Use Mopar® GL-5 Synthetic Gear Lubricant SAE 75W-140 in 12.0 (Dual Rear Wheel) Rear axles. Limited slip additive is required for limited slip axles (clutch)
Page 481
https://msmownerassets.z13.web.core...0/P120162_20_DJD2_OM_EN_USC_DIGITAL_E3_V2.pdf

2manyprojects

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD
Thanks WY-Dave for the reference. I got my answers some time ago. I've had Torsen gear diffs (Detroit Tru-Trac) in other vehicles for 20+years and was surprised that Ram had provided the gear LSD until 2018, then switched to the clutch for '19 on.

Some things to ponder (and why I asked my question in the first place): Your referenced .pdf 2020 manual doesn't actually say "clutch" anywhere, and the manual is common to the Power Wagon, which did/does have the TracRite GTL diff, a switchable gear LSD and locker. There's no call out for lubricating that... Some people also believe the 3500 w/12" rear axle still has a gear LSD.

In the end I know how to lube my differentials and just thought someone with a '19 or '20 who had already opened their diffs might confirm the presence of the clutch LSD in the new gen trucks. Thanks again for the info.

cms1528

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 2020 and 2021 RAM Limited have available anti-spin rear differential as an option, that's not limited slip. Was that different for 2019 I assume.

Re-reading the thread, I think I made a mistake. You are talking about the front end not the rear.

NSem89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but did you ever go ahead with the ARB install? It seems like the axle shafts are different on the newer 2500 Rams so the AAM front diff being a 9.25, is still different than the previous models? I was hoping to add an electronic selectable locker to the front of my new 2022 2500 (when it gets here) but was told in another forum it’s not possible as the front differential is different in the 2019+ models?

I was also told the 2500 Anti-Spin is Torsen gear style LSD? But now according to this it’s clutch? So confused.