Front axle seals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Royal50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys i need some help. I need to replace my driver's front axle seal because I just dont have $700 dollars to get it done by a shop. I removed it once and I was careful putting it back in and it actually did not leak for about 2 weeks but now is back again. I been seeing youtube videos on how to do it. I just want to make sure there's no more to it. I know that the differential cover needs to come off. I know the gears come out after that and from there you have access to the seal. Is that's prettt much it?l i really don't want to remove the passenger's seal if I don't have to. I know as far as tools some people use a large socket and extensions to put new seal in. I would think base on what I read my front end should be a dana 44? Not sure. The truck is a 98 1500 with the 5.9L.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The axle seal is actually easy to replace, but if it keeps leaking you most likely need to replace the shaft. Check it for wear when you pull it out.

OP
OP
R

Royal50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The axle seal is actually easy to replace, but if it keeps leaking you most likely need to replace the shaft. Check it for wear when you pull it out.
The shaft looks fine. I think it was just that I disturbed the seal when I was replacing my ball joints.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm trying to think back to when I did mine on the old truck. I think I knocked it out wth the axle and then pulled it back in with axle clip before sliding it back into the carrier, but it more than a decade ago.