Front brakes hanging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drjohn33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New Dodge owner…sorry I am a ford guy…. But I got a good deal on a bit of a basket case 1990 w150 plow truck that has been converted to carb it looks like with a full motor swap. So lots of wiring hacking. I’ve got it running and brakes are hanging…I have not tackled yet thought I would get some advice first. So prev owner replaced calipers, brake lines everything bled…brakes are good and firm but hang up and heat up if going down the road. Is there some sort of proportioning valve that may be stuck or is that not a concept on this truck?

Any advice help you can provide is appreciated.

Thanks,
David

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
Both sides or one side? Does it pull to one side? I've had several sticking calipers... on the same truck, oddly.

Are the caliper slide surfaces good? I've had one with a worn notch that a pad would hang up in.

The 150 does have a prop valve (250/350 is a combo valve). They generally will cut off the half of the brake system that is failing to pressurize, and may jam from age/rust.

OP
OP
D

drjohn33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks u2slow…it is both sides, both heating up, stops straight with no pull. Deer season is starting up, so I will have to dig into next week. I am pulling the carb to bring to deer camp to rebuild and entertain my self in the evenings. :)

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
Did the rubber line that drops from the frame to front diff get changed?

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Back when I had my parts store I saw 3 or 4 times one of the Rubber lines COLLAPSE INSIDE & block any fluid from being able to pass & lock up peoples breaks ..
ON my old 1980 Bronco the calipers pistons were made out of ''HOOF'' Plastic material.. & A lot of them twisted ''turned side ways'' in the caliper & that locked up my calipers.. I finally dropped that line of cheaper plastic piston rebuilt calipers & Went back to the Aluminum piston ones.

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
If you're talking about phenolic pistons... Yeah, when I've had sticking calipers, that's what they had.