Front Bumper Adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
2019 PW - is there any adjustment in the front bumper? One side is about 3/4" lower than the other. I'm not sure if there's adjustment, and if so if it's worth fixing myself or taking back to the dealer (truck is only about a month old).

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
If you just bought it and didn't hit something to cause the problem, then they should fix it under warranty.

This is exactly why I walk around a vehicle several times before I buy it. Sales people look at me weird when I crawl under a truck on the lot or request that a vehicle be put up on a lift. If there is any problem with the vehicle, they're going to fix it to my satisfaction before it ever leaves their lot.

OP
OP
ttusomeone

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you just bought it and didn't hit something to cause the problem, then they should fix it under warranty.

This is exactly why I walk around a vehicle several times before I buy it. Sales people look at me weird when I crawl under a truck on the lot or request that a vehicle be put up on a lift. If there is any problem with the vehicle, they're going to fix it to my satisfaction before it ever leaves their lot.

Didn't hit something - noticed it the next day after I got home (didn't notice it when I bought it). I only noticed it because I was specifically looking to see if it was level. They've offered to fix it, but they don't have an in-house body shop so I'd have to take it somewhere else. In doing some research, this seems like a common problem and it also seems there isn't much (or any) adjustment in the front bumper. Before I spent the time going to the body shop, I wanted to see if others have actually gotten this corrected.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
2019 PW - is there any adjustment in the front bumper? One side is about 3/4" lower than the other. I'm not sure if there's adjustment, and if so if it's worth fixing myself or taking back to the dealer (truck is only about a month old).
Is there a gap above the bumper? I never measured from the ground to the bumper. Do you have a picture handy?

OP
OP
ttusomeone

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Is there a gap above the bumper? I never measured from the ground to the bumper. Do you have a picture handy?

I'll get a pic tonight. The gap is between the top of the bumper and the bottom of the trim (or whatever you call it). Visually you can tell the slight difference, and measuring confirms it. After doing some more research, it looks like the problem may be the grill/facia and not the bumper. Also from what I can tell, the bumper can't be moved unless you remove the sheer pin and elongate the mounting holes.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just loosen up the bumper bolts, adjust it, and tighten them back up.

OP
OP
ttusomeone

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just loosen up the bumper bolts, adjust it, and tighten them back up.

From what I've read that's not the way it works on the 5th Gen trucks as a retention pin keeps it from moving. Do you know differently? Everything I've read is that you have to remove the pin then elongate the bolt holes if you want to move the bumper.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn’t touch it. Truck is 30 days old. Take it to the dealership.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I wouldn’t touch it. Truck is 30 days old. Take it to the dealership.
Nah fam! Put a hi-lift Jack under the low side and jack it up till it closes the gap. Lol

I would not be surprised if the dealership did not fix the body lines. A few PW came with the ram boxes off a little and there was a whole tread about no many got fixed...
Not saying I would not try if mine were 3/4 of an inch but mine is only 1/4-1/8 off and I never knew it till now. (Did the finger gap test;)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From what I've read that's not the way it works on the 5th Gen trucks as a retention pin keeps it from moving. Do you know differently? Everything I've read is that you have to remove the pin then elongate the bolt holes if you want to move the bumper.

No, I dont know any differently. I just assumed it was like any other bumper I have seen.

I personally would crawl under it and attempt it before I went and bothered with the dealer. If it is like you say, it may be worth the hassle with the dealer, but if its like most other bumpers I would just do it myself.

OP
OP
ttusomeone

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
No, I dont know any differently. I just assumed it was like any other bumper I have seen.

I personally would crawl under it and attempt it before I went and bothered with the dealer. If it is like you say, it may be worth the hassle with the dealer, but if its like most other bumpers I would just do it myself.

Yeah I'm going to investigate it myself first. Because it's not the dealer's body shop but another body shop they'd be sending it to, I'm a little hesitant to let them start working on it - my luck would be it would come back with other problems. I'll keep the group posted on what I find.

I also just checked and it's definitely the bumper and not the grill (like others have reported on other forums) because the gap is still not equal when you measure out where the bumper meets the bottom of the fender.

It's one of those things where I'm the only one that's going to notice it, so if there are sheer pins that keep it from moving, I'll probably just live with it instead of potentially creating other problems by trying to remove them and elongating the bolt holes.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yeah I'm going to investigate it myself first. Because it's not the dealer's body shop but another body shop they'd be sending it to, I'm a little hesitant to let them start working on it - my luck would be it would come back with other problems. I'll keep the group posted on what I find.

I also just checked and it's definitely the bumper and not the grill (like others have reported on other forums) because the gap is still not equal when you measure out where the bumper meets the bottom of the fender.

It's one of those things where I'm the only one that's going to notice it, so if there are sheer pins that keep it from moving, I'll probably just live with it instead of potentially creating other problems by trying to remove them and elongating the bolt holes.

It might be worth running it to another Ram dealer who DOES have a body shop to see what their guys say about it, instead of trusting 'just another body shop'.

I'm in the same boat, my local Ram dealer actually moved a 10-minute drive further away (long story, basically during a sale of the dealership the 'new owner' [who didn't end up buying] ran FCA off, so the franchise or whatever got moved), but they don't have any FCA certified body people yet, just service. So to get any body work done I have to go 45 minutes north because the next-closest FCA dealer I wouldn't trust with my lawnmower. But, my 'local' guys know that, and I bring my truck in there for service anyway, so they don't complain.

mdowning

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Tradesman Powerwagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi

Your post made me go look at my 2018 again. The front bumper is back about 1/2" on the drivers side and I just noticed about the same on the rear passenger side. It's enough to bug me, so I will get under there and see if I can adjust them.

--md

OP
OP
ttusomeone

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It might be worth running it to another Ram dealer who DOES have a body shop to see what their guys say about it, instead of trusting 'just another body shop'.

I'm in the same boat, my local Ram dealer actually moved a 10-minute drive further away (long story, basically during a sale of the dealership the 'new owner' [who didn't end up buying] ran FCA off, so the franchise or whatever got moved), but they don't have any FCA certified body people yet, just service. So to get any body work done I have to go 45 minutes north because the next-closest FCA dealer I wouldn't trust with my lawnmower. But, my 'local' guys know that, and I bring my truck in there for service anyway, so they don't complain.

It's also only noticable
Your post made me go look at my 2018 again. The front bumper is back about 1/2" on the drivers side and I just noticed about the same on the rear passenger side. It's enough to bug me, so I will get under there and see if I can adjust them.

--md

Let me know what you find. It's going to be the weekend before I can get under there to see the adjustments. I'm not sure if there's any changes in that area between '18 and '19.