Front Bumper Paint Chipping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daviddnv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi everyone,

I have 2022 Ram 1500 Night Addition, so all black. I’m finding that my front bumper is chipping quite a bit and it’s white underneath. So, the chips really stand out.

I only have about 11k miles on it. But, I do drive a lot of highway in central FL. And almost every highway in central FL is under construction, lol. So sometimes it’s like a gravel road. Already have a crack in the windshield. I’d expect a little road rash but I’m thinking it’s a little much for only 11k miles.

Anyway, part of this is vent on the stupid white bumper under the black paint. But additionally, I’d like to see if others have seen the same thing or if there is a suggestion on how to make the bumper paint a little stronger, even if a re-paint with a different product might help.

Thanks,
David

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Since your truck is all black, spray the bumpers with Raptor Bed liner, all you have to do is scuff it with a scotch pad, spray some adhesive promoter then the bed liner ... that is what I did on my bumpers, grille and fender flares, no rock is going to chip this stuff lol ...

1656434368207.png
1656434382764.png

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
That looks great! Maybe I'll look in to that soon. I think I might like a more glossy/smooth finish, but an option.
thanks.
You can make the texture spray differently depending on the psi you shoot it with, really smooth or as grainy as on my truck ...

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Hi everyone,

I have 2022 Ram 1500 Night Addition, so all black. I’m finding that my front bumper is chipping quite a bit and it’s white underneath. So, the chips really stand out.

I only have about 11k miles on it. But, I do drive a lot of highway in central FL. And almost every highway in central FL is under construction, lol. So sometimes it’s like a gravel road. Already have a crack in the windshield. I’d expect a little road rash but I’m thinking it’s a little much for only 11k miles.

Anyway, part of this is vent on the stupid white bumper under the black paint. But additionally, I’d like to see if others have seen the same thing or if there is a suggestion on how to make the bumper paint a little stronger, even if a re-paint with a different product might help.

Thanks,
David
You can always put a clear film wrap on it

OP
OP
D

Daviddnv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can always put a clear film wrap on it
I may consider something like that. I have some touch up paint to try first. I'll see how that works out. I might try a black wrap too.

I guess I'm mostly disappointed in with the paint performance and the fact that there is white paint under it. You would think it would be black or gray or something other then white. I had a 2011 expedition for for 10 years, and 200K, driving in the same conditions with much less bumper damage then this.

Thanks for the input.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The white primer is so that when paint is applied and not enough is applied or nozzle had low air pressure they can easily see it...

KahneFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same here. This is not dirt on my bumper.

Attachments

• 20220705_084942.jpg
    20220705_084942.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 44
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I'm glad I didn't color match my bumpers, front grille and fender flares lol .... the raptor bedliner has held up great not a crack, chip nothing ....

OP
OP
D

Daviddnv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same here. This is not dirt on my bumper.
Mine looked a little worse, lol. I used a touchup pen/paint thing, it did good. So good, I could not find some of the spots to put on the clearcoat. I guess I'll just keep touching up until it gets too bad, then maybe a repaint or a wrap.

KahneFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine looked a little worse, lol. I used a touchup pen/paint thing, it did good. So good, I could not find some of the spots to put on the clearcoat. I guess I'll just keep touching up until it gets too bad, then maybe a repaint or a wrap.
Where did you get the touchup pen? Dealers have them, but I'm lazy and online is always better :-D

OP
OP
D

Daviddnv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where did you get the touchup pen? Dealers have them, but I'm lazy and online is always better :-D
I was going to take a picture of it, but I can't find it now, lol. I remember putting it somewhere where so I counld find it for next time. Anyway, bought it Autozone. It's the Dupli-Color touchup paint. It has multiple things that open up. A little scrapper to clean, a pen for chips, a brush for scratches and a clear coat brush. All in one pen. It worked pretty good.

chappyglenn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I just picked up a 2020 all black - 25k miles - and was just wondering the same thing after the first deep clean. Chip city up there.

CFL here as well ✌️

IndyGibby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi everyone,

Thanks,
David
Hi everyone,

Thanks,
David
Having same problem. Just noticed it this past weekend. I saw what appeared to be a chip, then when I was examining it, I saw another….and another…and another. Some are pretty good size. I’m not happy. It’s just on the bumper, no where else, so I’m thinking this is a paint / primer defect and should be repaired under warranty / recall. I do not drive gravel roads, I dont follow behind dump trucks etc. Rest of the truck is flawless, except front bumper. Black 2022 sport w 17k. Cant imagine what it will look like in another year or 2 if not addressed.

I’m going to contact my dealer, and see what they say. If they can’t / wont do anything about it, I’ll file a case with customer care. And if that doesn't work, I have some contacts higher up the COC, this isn't my first rodeo with Chrysler. I would suggest anyone having same issue do the same. If enough people report / complain about it, they may issue a recall? Or at least take care of it under warranty.

3rd Rock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi everyone,

Thanks,
David
My white bumper did the same thing.
I took it off and for $350 had it repainted.

OP
OP
D

Daviddnv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Having same problem. Just noticed it this past weekend. I saw what appeared to be a chip, then when I was examining it, I saw another….and another…and another. Some are pretty good size. I’m not happy. It’s just on the bumper, no where else, so I’m thinking this is a paint / primer defect and should be repaired under warranty / recall. I do not drive gravel roads, I dont follow behind dump trucks etc. Rest of the truck is flawless, except front bumper. Black 2022 sport w 17k. Cant imagine what it will look like in another year or 2 if not addressed.

I’m going to contact my dealer, and see what they say. If they can’t / wont do anything about it, I’ll file a case with customer care. And if that doesn't work, I have some contacts higher up the COC, this isn't my first rodeo with Chrysler. I would suggest anyone having same issue do the same. If enough people report / complain about it, they may issue a recall? Or at least take care of it under warranty.
I'd like to see how you make out with that, please update the post if there is any recourse that can be taken. When I first posted, I had 11K miles. I now have 32K miles and a very chipped front bumper. The rest of the truck/paint is great, just bumper.

Good Luck.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Not a warranty issue. More of a following too close issue. The front edge of my wife's VW looked like it was sandblasted. Truck bumpers are right at the correct hieght to take the hit from whatever the car in front can throw at it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio