Front Driveline Clicking Sound - 2019 Ram 1500 Classic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HunterArcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hey everyone! Heres some quick truck info:
2019 Ram 1500 Classic SLT 4x4 - 67000 miles
I've recently started hearing a sort of clicking sound around the front end. My best way to describe it is having a metal ziptie on a rotating piece and the metal ziptie hitting a stationary piece of metal every rotation. I believe it is not associated with the engine at all as it did not vary with different ranges of RPMs. It also did not make any noise at a standstill. So I am wondering what could cause that? I do know that the previous owners had the 4x4 actuator replaced and I am wondering if they did not put enough gear oil in the front differential? Or maybe it is as simple as something loose banging around down there. I have yet to crawl underneath and check it out as I have gotten dumped in snow recently.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you do your own maintenance and troubleshooting/repairs?

Start with a thorough inspection of the driveline (incl rear), on jackstands. Check wheel bearings and CV/half-shafts, diff/Xfer case fluids and driveshafts. Could also be something with the front or rear brakes ...a loose shield rubbing on something. Even like a stick being thrown up and rubbing. U-joint, torn boot. So many possibilities it would be fruitless to start throwing out specific ideas in a scattergun manner w/o first inspecting.

If yer not a DIY guy, probably best to take it to a good mechanic so they don't lead you down the parts-replacing path w/o actually finding the problem first. Noises aren't too difficult to find for the guy who knows his stuff.

Last edited:

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Sounds typical of a CV or u-joint. Check your front cv's for torn boots & the rear driveshaft u-joints for rust around the needle bearing cups.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HunterArcher

HunterArcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
With some of the snow melted away, I was able to crawl under the truck and check around. I believe I have it narrowed to the CV axle or the wheel bearing. The CV axle definitely needs replaced as I can move it back and forth enough to clunk it side to side + the grease is everywhere. I am unsure about the wheel bearing, as the wheel bearing seems like it would be making the noise I am experiencing more than the CV axle.

This video is what the sound is like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2elBsSIx40 At 4:40

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
if the clicking happens in a turn,
If it clicks when turning right, check your left side & visa versa

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Like indept said, cv for sure, in general they just replace the axle, les shuab did mine it isnt a terribly expensive fix, well at least it wasnt pre inflation, who knows maybe the price is jacked now. Fix it before you get problem downstream.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you're running larger than stock tires, or plan to, this might be an opportunity to go with a more robust half-shaft. You can see them on Rock-Auto ..and other places. At least this shaft perhaps ..then the other side maybe in a year or two if it goes.

Otherwise, stock is just fine.