Front End Maintenance Parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never had a high mile truck with a solid front axle, so not sure what parts are normal wear parts for one, specifically the 15 2500. Mine's got 106+ on the clock, and Im getting some bump and wobble since adding the new tires. JUst wondering what parts I need to get.

Nickx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i had an old jeep XJ which I rebuilt the whole front end around 100k so biggest item to watch is the track bar for sure since they tend to cause a lot of headaches if they are worn. Pitman ram, idler arm, ball joints and tie rods ends are items to keep an eye on. Front stabilizer shock should be last since they can mask an issue

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 2014 is at about 105K and has needed nothing. Tires wear perfect and I notice nothing at all wrong when driving. My last truck was an 06 2500 Chevy Silverado Duramax and that thing needed something seemingly every other oil change. Hubs and other various suspension parts just kept coming up.

As for what specifically your truck needs there's really no way to know without getting it off the ground and getting an experienced set of eyes on it.

OP
OP
FlatbedHemi

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2014 is at about 105K and has needed nothing. Tires wear perfect and I notice nothing at all wrong when driving. My last truck was an 06 2500 Chevy Silverado Duramax and that thing needed something seemingly every other oil change. Hubs and other various suspension parts just kept coming up.

As for what specifically your truck needs there's really no way to know without getting it off the ground and getting an experienced set of eyes on it.
Thats just the difference in the IFS (especially Chevrolets) and SFA. Thats why Im looking for a parts list for the SFA front end, because Ive never serviced one, and am not sure what to look at. Just looking for a parts list of all potential parts that might need to be replaced.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
your asking a question thats nearly impossible to answer. we have no idea how the truck was driven or what envirnment it was used. even if we knew those answers it would be difficult to say with any certainty what parts may be worn to the point of needing replaced.
if it was mostly a highway truck then its unlikely anything needs replaced aside from maybe the steering stabilizer.
if it was used hard on a farm with snowplow attached and youve ran into curbs a thousand times ,lord only knows what might be worn /bent /broke.
crawl under the truck and look for yourself or take it to a trusted mechanic

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
i had an old jeep XJ which I rebuilt the whole front end around 100k so biggest item to watch is the track bar for sure since they tend to cause a lot of headaches if they are worn. Pitman ram, idler arm, ball joints and tie rods ends are items to keep an eye on. Front stabilizer shock should be last since they can mask an issue

This is a pretty comprehensive list of 'wear items' for a SFA vehicle. About the only thing left out is hub bearings.

That said, without inspecting the vehicle there's no way to say for certain what needs to be replaced. The best thing to do is either crawl under the truck and inspect things if you know what to look for and how to check certain items (like ball joints), or take it in for an alignment/inspection. A good alignment shop will put the truck on the rack, go through all steering and suspension components to look for anything that should be replaced, and if they find something tell you about it before they even attempt an alignment. I have had, on countless occasions, taken a vehicle in for an alignment because it wasn't steering properly, and told they wouldn't do the alignment until (whatever part was bad) was replaced. They usually don't bill if you say 'Okay I'll take it home and fix it and come back.' And then, you know, actually come back with a repaired vehicle.