Front grill swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
Here is some info to share with you guys. I gathered these since I'm planning to try and swap my grill with a Rebel grill. Who knows if it will work or not but I guess that is the fun of trying it LOL. I'll be on vacation next week and then finishing my tattoo sleeve when I get back so I won't be able to work on this for a while. So the parts I ordered will sit in my garage. If anyone wants to try this before me, please be my guest lol! Initially I was just going to swap for a black grill but that's no fun haha!

I also included diagrams for the Laramie and Rebel bumpers in case anyone wants to go balls deep on this.

Instructions for removal and reinstallation of grill attached in post 36

The parts guy (Josh Gum) at Avondaleautomotive (Ram Dealer from AZ on eBay) talked to his body shop and they think it will bolt on but with some issues where the grill meets the bumper since the Rebel is higher in the center. If that's the only issue, not a big deal since I can trim if needed. There is a lip along the bottom of the Rebel grill where it ties into the bumper which will probably need to be trimmed. The other potential issue could be the fascia below the headlights since the fascia on the Rebel looks slightly shorter than the Laramie.

If this is a completely stupid idea, feedback is also appreciated!

Part numbers and prices I have (including links to eBay listed items):

1. Header appliqué textured matte black 68293107AH

Primer - ready to paint) 6BT18TZZAH $160 shipped
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-DODGE-RAM-1500-Front-Header-Applique-Ready-To-Paint-NEW-OEM-MOPAR/153121528726?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

7. Rebel grill 68405010AA $260 shipped
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-DODGE-RAM-REBEL-DT-Matte-Black-Radiator-Grille-NEW-OEM-MOPAR/163178850974?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Front grill

Ram grill diagram.jpg

Laramie bumper

bumper 2019 Laramie.jpg

Rebel bumper

bumper 2019 Rebel.jpg

06-2019-ram-1500-rebel-detroit-1.jpg

rebel front.jpg

Last edited:

Adam vera

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It may fit however the bumper on a rebel comes up in the middle. Were as your is straight/flat, And also the panel under the headlamps are different. I think it would leave a big gap from those difference stated above.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accountant

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
It may fit however the bumper on a rebel comes up in the middle. Were as your is straight/flat, And also the panel under the headlamps are different. I think it would leave a big gap from those difference stated above.
Yup exactly the points I made. But the Laramie bumper actually has a shallow channel below the grill so it's not exactly flat. Plus the channel extends about an inch in front of the grill. But I'm still thinking I will need to trim the part of the Rebel grill that goes under the Rebel bumper. The fascia below the headlamps could present a challenge if it leaves a gap below the grill but hopefully it's not too bad. As long as everything bolts on, I can deal with any gaps or excess at the bottom. This will be interesting lol. Thanks for the feedback!

Rebel grill full view.jpg Rebel grill front.jpg

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accountant

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
any part #s for the front camera?

Sorry I don’t. You could try sending a message to Avondaleautomotive on eBay. They are very responsive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Accountant

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
Found this "spy photo" online for a Rebel test vehicle. Seem like the grill won't look bad with the regular hood. I'm also going to go with black RAM letters on the grill.

I'm checking on whether I can get matte black housing for my tow mirrors.

ram1500rebe02-1.jpg

OP
OP
Accountant

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
Tow mirrors only come as complete assembly in black. Need to think about this piece lol.

BigRedd3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It appears that the grilles are sold as a single piece but does anybody know if the grille "inserts" can be separated from the grille "frames"? Hopefully the meaning of these terms is obvious. My present plan is to order a limited and attempt to have the "frame" or "outline" of the grille painted body color (I'm planning on black) but leave the mesh (or whatever you call it) "insert" or "middle" of the grille stock. Hope that makes sense and, more importantly, that somebody knows the answer. Thanks.

OP
OP
Accountant

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
My Rebel grille arrived at the dealer and they will be shipping it out today.

AnthonyD1978

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
Found this "spy photo" online for a Rebel test vehicle. Seem like the grill won't look bad with the regular hood. I'm also going to go with black RAM letters on the grill.

I'm checking on whether I can get matte black housing for my tow mirrors.

View attachment 136187

Do other trim levels have matte black tow mirrors? If so should be easy to order. (I already ordered colored matched mirror caps). You could also easily vinyl wrap the mirror matte black if needed. Should be pretty cheap.

OP
OP
Accountant

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
Do other trim levels have matte black tow mirrors? If so should be easy to order. (I already ordered colored matched mirror caps). You could also easily vinyl wrap the mirror matte black if needed. Should be pretty cheap.

Yes black tow mirrors are available as a complete set only ($400 or so). Vinyl wrap sounds like a better (cheaper) option LOL. Thanks!

OP
OP
Accountant

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
Pics of Rebel grill unstalled. There were some scuff marks so the dealer will send this back and order a new one.

Rebel grill full view.jpg Rebel grill front.jpg Rebel grill closeup - scuffs.jpg Rebel grill letters.jpg

OP
OP
Accountant

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
It appears that the grilles are sold as a single piece but does anybody know if the grille "inserts" can be separated from the grille "frames"? Hopefully the meaning of these terms is obvious. My present plan is to order a limited and attempt to have the "frame" or "outline" of the grille painted body color (I'm planning on black) but leave the mesh (or whatever you call it) "insert" or "middle" of the grille stock. Hope that makes sense and, more importantly, that somebody knows the answer. Thanks.
In looking at the Rebel grill, it doesn't seem like you can separate the grill insert. I'll know more when I receive the grill and remove mine but I have the Laramie.

AnthonyD1978

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
Hm, the more I look at it the more I don't think it will fit the standard bumper. The 4 rectangular holes at the bottom of the grill should be easy to work around one way or the other. The part that concerns me is to the left and right of those holes. I think our standard bumper will hit the grill in those locations. You either cut the grill there or the bumper.

Sucks to hear it was scuffed up. Keep us updated.

OP
OP
Accountant

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
Hm, the more I look at it the more I don't think it will fit the standard bumper. The 4 rectangular holes at the bottom of the grill should be easy to work around one way or the other. The part that concerns me is to the left and right of those holes. I think our standard bumper will hit the grill in those locations. You either cut the grill there or the bumper.

Sucks to hear it was scuffed up. Keep us updated.
This be an interesting project lol. There is actually a channel in the standard bumper below the grill so there is a slight chance that there is enough room. Either way, if trimming is needed then that's an easy fix. May have to trim that entire section off but it's fine because the grill still drops behind it.

My main concern is bolting everything up on top which seems like it should fit.

2a583e25c0e91d890a7e7abb0725c4c9.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accountant

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
The fascia below the headlights will also be a problem. There is a different angle and the Rebel fascia is about 5 1/4” tall at the bottom interior corner of the headlights vs 6 3/4” for the Laramie. So I would also need the fascia for the Rebel which introduces more problems. So it looks like this is a no go for me.

This is the problem area on the Laramie

f9355f187164d1799f5779e565e4c3fa.jpg

Last edited:

AnthonyD1978

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
2019-Ram-1500-VLP-Gallery-Preview-Big-Horn-1.jpg.image.1440.jpg The top should not be a problem. I would think that will mate and bolt up fine.

After looking at more pics I think it will still work with the headlight fascia of the Laramie. I believe the Rebel grill is shorter and they took the height out of it at the bottom of the grill to fit the Rebel bumper. So with the Laramie you will will have a gap along the bumper and the bottom corner of the headlight fascia.

Did the dealer let you refund everything? If not, I would be tempted to buy the grill from you.

I'm sure some aftermarket companies will release all new grill designs shortly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accountant

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
View attachment 137432 The top should not be a problem. I would think that will mate and bolt up fine.

After looking at more pics I think it will still work with the headlight fascia of the Laramie. I believe the Rebel grill is shorter and they took the height out of it at the bottom of the grill to fit the Rebel bumper. So with the Laramie you will will have a gap along the bumper and the bottom corner of the headlight fascia.

Did the dealer let you refund everything? If not, I would be tempted to buy the grill from you.

I'm sure some aftermarket companies will release all new grill designs shortly.

Thanks for being a second set of eyes!

Yes the dealer cancelled the order is is looking for a black or ready to paint grille for the Laramie.

This is where I see the potential problem. The fascia under the headlight seems to have slightly less material on the Rebel so the Laramie fascia may also need to be trimmed. I think. I haven’t been able to see a 2019 Rebel in person.

d38dffd63032e11bc17883196f3c8e7f.jpg

Last edited: