Front lift level or Rear lower level?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesQ324

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys. Getting ready to mod my 11 Ram 1500 and want to start with a leveling kit. Issue I'm running into is do I want to level with a front lift or a rear lower. I'd essentially like to hear some pros and cons on both so I can decide which is going to be the safest, easiest, and most cost effective option. Any and all suggestions/advice will be much appreciated. Also, you guys will ultimately make the decision for me. Gonna tally the votes after a while and go with which one has the most. Thanks in advance everybody.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I vote front lift. Pros looks better, more options as far as tire size, more options for wheel offset, if done with bils ppl say it rides better than stock, if done with spacers its stiffer but I still like mine after 30k. Cons:? I honestly cant think of one. I went with a moto fab 3" front 2" rear sits at 40 and 42.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Never lower ... Always lift ... It’s man code ... Bils up front ... Not cheap ass spacers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Everyone that talks about spacers being bad is a fool even your 2k dollar lifts use spacers. Smfh. It would make so much more sense to say if you use spacers use steel spacers. But 90% of the ppl that talk about them have never used them. Screenshot_20200106-084300_Samsung Internet.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i don’t think “spacer” comments are geared toward the spacer needed for a drop bracket lift.......more so for leveling kits.

The spacer for a drop bracket has zero affect on the stock strut assembly (no preload and not overextending anything), It simply fills in the gap to keep the suspension geometry “stock”.

A spacer(without a drop bracket) placed on top of the stock strut or within the strut starts affecting preload and travel.........

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is this a joke? Your gonna let a bunch of people decide what you do with your truck? Not trying to be a **** by any means, just very surprised at this logic.

In my opinion, lowering the rear a few inches or raising the front a few inches really dosnt have too many negatives that cant be dealt with easily. I would simply decide if I like the overall look of a slightly taller truck or the look of a slightly lower truck, and choose the one that I like... not the one someone else likes.

On the subject of pros and cons of each, there are certainly some for both. Some depends on what you use your truck for. But regardless, both can be done relatively easily with no major issues or setbacks.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Is this a joke? Your gonna let a bunch of people decide what you do with your truck? Not trying to be a **** by any means, just very surprised at this.

This certainly isn’t the first post I’ve read where people want others to “tell me what to do”, or “tell me how to spend my money”, or “what are the best tires for me”, or “should I get these rodeo theme seat covers ?” ... It’s rather comical ... My favorite was “my girlfriend hates my truck ... Should I keep it ?”

OP
OP
JamesQ324

JamesQ324

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This certainly isn’t the first post I’ve read where people want others to “tell me what to do”, or “tell me how to spend my money”, or “what are the best tires for me”, or “should I get these rodeo theme seat covers ?” ... It’s rather comical ... My favorite was “my girlfriend hates my truck ... Should I keep it ?”

You're taking this all wrong. I like the look of the truck either way lowered or lifted. So in a sense, I'm torn on what to do and am simply asking for opinions from anybody that may have one to give. In the end I'm going to do what I want to do any way. The fact that people feel the need to run their mouths instead of just providing an answer with their pros or cons on the two, is ridiculous. I understand freedom of speech. But I don't recall asking for sarcastic, childish, "I'm a funny guy" comments. Just a simple one or the other response would've been just fine and we could all go about our day. Grow up.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Grow up ? Never ... It’s no fun ... Hell, I’m 20 years older than you ... Lol ... And I did give you the simple answer you asked for up at post #3 ... You’re welcome ... Lighten up Francis

Last edited:
OP
OP
JamesQ324

JamesQ324

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Grow up ? Never ... It’s no fun ... Hell, I’m 20 years older than you ... Lol ... And I did give you the simple answer you asked for up at post #3 ... You’re welcome ... Lighten up Francis

So you're 58 running your ********** on an internet forum about something that was as easy as stating your point "1" time. But, because of the fact that your only friend is this forum, you saw someone else run their cockhole and said "wow! I bet he'd be my friend if I try and do the same thing!" So here we are. You're a well over middle aged ma probably sitting naked in the back seat of your truck feeling yourself up looking at car gurus ads for 09-18 ram 2500s. Thanks to the 1 maybe two people that actually gave some good insight to my inquiry. Everyone else that decided this was a good chance to get out that good "loser" joke they heard at their 1st graders parent teacher night can eat a ****.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Front lift, but don’t go past 2” I think there is something In your year model that will make your CV angles very steep and you’ll need some sort of diff drop to fix that. Newer models (12 or 13 and up) didn’t suffer from that. On the bright note I think you can upgrade gears the easy way :)
I’m sure others more versed on what it’s is in the older suspensions can add the needed details. Maybe its nothing but somehow I seem to recall a difference in the older 4th gen 1500 models.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So you're 58 running your ********** on an internet forum about something that was as easy as stating your point "1" time. But, because of the fact that your only friend is this forum, you saw someone else run their cockhole and said "wow! I bet he'd be my friend if I try and do the same thing!" So here we are. You're a well over middle aged ma probably sitting naked in the back seat of your truck feeling yourself up looking at car gurus ads for 09-18 ram 2500s. Thanks to the 1 maybe two people that actually gave some good insight to my inquiry. Everyone else that decided this was a good chance to get out that good "loser" joke they heard at their 1st graders parent teacher night can eat a ****.

??????????????????????? really?

OP
OP
JamesQ324

JamesQ324

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
??????????????????????? really?
Yes. If people only respond to talk **** and run their mouths about giving any kind of insight or advice to someone just asking for their pros and cons about something, then yes.....really. I simply asked for honest opinions on what others would do or have done and what the pros and cons were. I didn't ask for **** talk from anyone. People really need to grow up. Especially people that are apparently 20 yrs older than me. It all goes back to the adage "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all". There was no reason for anybody to run their mouths about a simple question. Just answer or don't and go about your day. Because all they did was make me sink to their level and run my mouth right back. None of us are in elementary school anymore and trying to "poke fun" at someone asking a simple ******* question is just that, elementary school ********. Its ridiculous. Now, the admin can kick me from this forum if they want, I personally give no ***** about it. I've modded vehicles without the help or advice of anybody before, I can do it again. No big deal.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes. If people only respond to talk **** and run their mouths about giving any kind of insight or advice to someone just asking for their pros and cons about something, then yes.....really. I simply asked for honest opinions on what others would do or have done and what the pros and cons were. I didn't ask for **** talk from anyone. People really need to grow up. Especially people that are apparently 20 yrs older than me. It all goes back to the adage "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all". There was no reason for anybody to run their mouths about a simple question. Just answer or don't and go about your day. Because all they did was make me sink to their level and run my mouth right back. None of us are in elementary school anymore and trying to "poke fun" at someone asking a simple ******* question is just that, elementary school ********. Its ridiculous. Now, the admin can kick me from this forum if they want, I personally give no ***** about it. I've modded vehicles without the help or advice of anybody before, I can do it again. No big deal.

Well said. As i read a couple posts up to give some actual advice back on topic pre 2012 trucks I think 2 is about the max if I recall because of the angle issue.

OP
OP
JamesQ324

JamesQ324

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Front lift, but don’t go past 2” I think there is something In your year model that will make your CV angles very steep and you’ll need some sort of diff drop to fix that. Newer models (12 or 13 and up) didn’t suffer from that. On the bright note I think you can upgrade gears the easy way :)
I’m sure others more versed on what it’s is in the older suspensions can add the needed details. Maybe its nothing but somehow I seem to recall a difference in the older 4th gen 1500 models.
I have a 4.5" rake on my truck. The rear sits at 39.75" and front at 35.25" ideally I would like it to sit level but I know going over a 2.5" level I'd have to change the upper control arms. And being I have 3 kids and not 100k a year job, I'm trying to do everything as cost effective as possible.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 4.5" rake on my truck. The rear sits at 39.75" and front at 35.25" ideally I would like it to sit level but I know going over a 2.5" level I'd have to change the upper control arms. And being I have 3 kids and not 100k a year job, I'm trying to do everything as cost effective as possible.

How about a 2" rear drop and a 2.5" front level? Should get you close and still cheaper than needing ucas I think I paid like 399 for my 3-6" RC ucas.

OP
OP
JamesQ324

JamesQ324

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How about a 2" rear drop and a 2.5" front level? Should get you close and still cheaper than needing ucas I think I paid like 399 for my 3-6" RC ucas.

As long as I'm still able to haul things when I need to and not look like I'm doing a wheelie all the way down the road, that could work. I don't want to go any bigger than a 33" tire with 20x12 or 22x12 wheels because I only have the 4.7 in the truck for now. Its plenty powerful but I feel that it would struggle going any higher than 33s.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
As long as I'm still able to haul things when I need to and not look like I'm doing a wheelie all the way down the road, that could work. I don't want to go any bigger than a 33" tire with 20x12 or 22x12 wheels because I only have the 4.7 in the truck for now. Its plenty powerful but I feel that it would struggle going any higher than 33s.

Toss in a set of airlift 1k and I dont see you having any issue. So rake isnt a bad thing if you dont want a lot of squat when it has a load. Or maybe a 2 and 2 that would leave you with a .5 inch rake and help with squat when loaded. I dont see 33s being a issue at all with either set up have you checked out customoffsets.com? Just about every set up possible is on there so you can see what will fit with and without trimming.

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I personally have done both... My 2010 trx4 went with a bilstein 5100 front strut setup at 2.8.. which suited the truck great. Rode wonderful but also did 5100's in the rear as well ..broke a few axle shafts from being rough on it but a simple replacement...My new 2016 sport I went with a 2'' rear drop from mcgaughys just a simple spring swap and airlift 1000 bags in the rear to keep some support when carrying a load. I opted against the from level not because I didnt like it but because of the issues I had with CV axles prior and knowing with these newer trucks the one side of the front diff is not replacible without replacing the entire differential. To each there own I love the look of both and im sure youll be happy either way.