Front Stabilizer bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone know of an aftermarket front stabilizer bar that will work on a 2012 1500 4wd outdoorsman. Dang Virginia inspection failed because the tip is rusted and none of the OEM bars are available or discontinued. Will a hellwig 7708 work on a 4wd?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Anyone know of an aftermarket front stabilizer bar that will work on a 2012 1500 4wd outdoorsman. Dang Virginia inspection failed because the tip is rusted and none of the OEM bars are available or discontinued. Will a hellwig 7708 work on a 4wd?
As far as i know,nobody makes an after market front swaybar for the 4X4's,you're best bet would be to hunt up a used one from a wrecking yard,if the factory swaybar is no longer available. There are a couple differant sized front swaybars though,and i'd hazard a guess your Outdoorsman might have the bigger swaybar ,i think it's 36mm and i think the lighter bar is 32mm,but don't quote me on that,as it's been several years since i was looking into front swaybars for a 4X4.You could check on a couple of the Hi-po Ram facebook pages,like High Performance Rams or Tuned Rams,as alot of guys drag racing their trucks remove the front swaybar,and you might find a used one for sale on those pages

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Best to measure the outside diameter of your existing bar, but yes there are two thicknesses.
I think all 4wd had the bigger one and 2wd got the smaller one.
Junkyard should have them.

CrasherAsher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I took mine off after i bent it lol, it drives fine. The inspections here in AZ barely pop the hood.

OP
OP
P

PaCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm wondering if it's just simple surface rust or a split in it (they're hollow). Difficult to say w/o seeing what it looks like.
Will try to get a pic posted. doesnt Look split but plan on pulling it today to check. Think the inspector saw peeling coating and saw it as a money making item for him to replace not realizing they are out of stock everywhere. Argh!

OP
OP
P

PaCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As far as i know,nobody makes an after market front swaybar for the 4X4's,you're best bet would be to hunt up a used one from a wrecking yard,if the factory swaybar is no longer available. There are a couple differant sized front swaybars though,and i'd hazard a guess your Outdoorsman might have the bigger swaybar ,i think it's 36mm and i think the lighter bar is 32mm,but don't quote me on that,as it's been several years since i was looking into front swaybars for a 4X4.You could check on a couple of the Hi-po Ram facebook pages,like High Performance Rams or Tuned Rams,as alot of guys drag racing their trucks remove the front swaybar,and you might find a used one for sale on those pages
Thanks Wild One. Going pull this afternoon and see if I can repair. No junkyards had any around here.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also removed mine. Makes the truck feel much better.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it's just peeling powder-coating, just chip off the peeling area, then brush some black paint on the rusted area. That seems exessively nit-picky!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hard to imagine a tech not noticing the anti-sway is missing ...considering just about every car has one. If it's on the check-list he'll be looking for it. Then sees where the end links have been.. it'll be a dead give-away. But maybe you'll get lucky

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hard to imagine a tech not noticing the anti-sway is missing ...considering just about every car has one. If it's on the check-list he'll be looking for it. Then sees where the end links have been.. it'll be a dead give-away. But maybe you'll get lucky
Not really. The tech doing inspections is probably an independent shop or state run inspection facility. Chances are they inspect all makes of vehicles so to notice a missing part on every make vehicle is unlikely. As for the check list, it's probably not a list of every suspension, steering, brake etc. parts. Most likely a broad " check steering & suspension for excessive play" etc.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Amazon sells "Corroseal" and other retailers must sell it or something similar. It converts rusted steel into another compound that supposedly will never rust again. It also turns black after a 2nd coat. Might work for you if it's just a case of surface rust.

e3mrk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had to replace the one on my 2023 Ram 1500 4x4 but the dealer said it would be a four month wait and $500.00 for it. I called a junk yard and they did a nationwide search on their system(Their all connected these days) and they found one in Florida for $230.00 so I bought it and it was almost brand new so check the junk yards and you may get lucky.

Ironhead3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
Even if your sway bar is split, anybody with any experience and a welder could fix it, grind it nice and smooth, repaint it and presto - inspection passed. It may only be the coating coming of the metal, and in that case you could sand it and paint it and should be no trouble. Good luck