Front tire wear???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djphelan01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2019 1500 Laramie with 23k miles. Let me first state that I’m not a mechanic and the truck has never been in any accidents. I already need a set of tires due front tires wearing bald on the outside of the tire. I rotated the tires about 12k miles and now the tires that had been on the rear and now on the front are worn the same way. I assumed there was an issue with the front end but the dealer said it was all good. I don’t want to be buying tires every 24k miles. Any ideas of the issue? A friend has the same issue with his 2019‍♂️

WoodGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You may want to try an independent alignment shop right after the new tires. Most auto manufactures are not well known for using the highest quality tires either

rws1944

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agree with WoodGuy. A quick google search finds that in most cases uneven tire wear is caused by poor alignment. Another cause of outside wear is under inflation. Some also point out that you maybe going in circles all day which causes outside wear.

Black64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Tires on my new trucks only last 20-40k miles, aftermarket brands are so much better. BFG, Falken and Toyo make some of the best.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Stock Goodyear’s suck uneven wear does seem more like a mechanical issue but the Goodyear’s don’t last.

OP
OP
D

djphelan01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the replies. I was trying not to go to a private mechanic due to it still being under warranty, but I might have to

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Did the dealer provide you a copy of the alignment specs? They should be able to provide you with a print out that shows what the factory specifications are and what their tech measured...if they actually put it on an alignment rack. Do they even have an alignment rack? Some dealers don't have one...they farm that work out to a tire shop. Tires don't wear unevenly unless there is a problem...something bent/ damaged from an accident, or alignment not properly set. It's that simple. They probably are sticking to their original claim (nothing wrong) because they may be on the hook for costs at this point. Be calm but persistent with them. If they won't provide you proof it's fine, contact Ram Cares, explain each step you've taken, and ask them to get you in to another dealer if there is one reasonably close. Also ask what happens when you take it to a reputable front end shop and they find it out of alignment. Does Ram reimburse you for that?...do they provide, or pay for new tires? Again, stay calm, but remain firm. Good luck my friend.

RC Turner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Be aware that front tire wear can often be caused by things other than alignment. Aggressive on/off ramps on freeways is a good example. Not all types of tires will respond the same and unusual or excessive wear can happen. Air pressure is another example of an issue that can accelerate wear.

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
As stated above, I'd take it to an independent shop to have alignment checked. I have a 2019 with the 20" tires and I got 56,000 miles out of mine.

Danes

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2019 1500 Laramie with 23k miles. Let me first state that I’m not a mechanic and the truck has never been in any accidents. I already need a set of tires due front tires wearing bald on the outside of the tire. I rotated the tires about 12k miles and now the tires that had been on the rear and now on the front are worn the same way. I assumed there was an issue with the front end but the dealer said it was all good. I don’t want to be buying tires every 24k miles. Any ideas of the issue? A friend has the same issue with his 2019‍[emoji3603]

None with mine. But my issue was with the dealer NOT rotating my tires, even when I wanted them to. “If they aren’t wearing funny or prematurely, they’re fine.” At 22k, I was looking at a set of tires, which is BS. Needless to say, I don’t use them anymore. Definitely try a indy alignment shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You should know a couple of things

First, the dealership does not warranty tires, they never have & never will.

They will tell you to go to the tire manufacturer

The 2nd thing
The dealership has one of the best Tire Balancing Machine ever made.
They just don't send anyone working at the dealership to a Class on how to run it

For Tire Balancing, go to a Discount or American Tire store, if there is one in your area
Otherwise, use a shop the has the
Hunter Road Force Balance Machines

Find a shop near you

https://www.hunter.com/find-equipment/

sknisley1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi eTorque
.Tires don't wear unevenly unless there is a problem...something bent/ damaged from an accident, or alignment not properly set. It's that simple. my friend.

there is also the possibility of the dynamic toe or camber change due to jounce or the camber change due to cornering. Poor steering Ackerman can also cause scrubbing during cornering. The old Econoline van was notorious for the toe-in changing excessively during the load change during braking. It ate front tires. These are design-dependent for the vehicle and will be to some extent dependent on the way the vehicle is driven.

Last edited:

Retread Tom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I also have a 2019 Laramie Longhorn. Had my local garage do the Pa inspection, because I wanted a fresh set of eyes . I had the tires, GOODYEAR EAGLE TOURING M&S 285/45R22, rotated. One of the 4 was at the min. tread depth. Other 3 were fine. All had even tread wear. I'm 68 and this is my cruzing wheels. But only 25000 miles. And to wear that bad. Pretty sure they will need replaced around 30000. Usually I can get 50-60000 miles out of new tires. THESE GOODYEARs SUCK!!

Klaus756

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Outside wear indicates toe in. The stock tires, as mentioned before, are not the best. Run them till they are done, then replace with a diffrent brand.

RC Turner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Outside wear indicates toe in. The stock tires, as mentioned before, are not the best. Run them till they are done, then replace with a diffrent brand.

Alignment is not the only reason. Look for feathering of the rest of the tread. If there is no other wear on the rest of the tread, it is probably caused by something else. Toe in is a minor part of a modern alignment. Finding someone who understands proper alignment can be just as much of a challenge.

msedly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got 45k on my stock Goodyear's. 2019 Big Horn with 18's.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is braking while turning. My brother has a bad habit of waiting until he's in a turn to brake (sometimes very hard). This will definitely cause some premature wear over 25k miles on a heavy truck.

Not saying that's what you're doing, but I've ridden with a lot of people who do it unknowingly.

smoore1104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
I have a 2019 1500 Laramie with 23k miles. Let me first state that I’m not a mechanic and the truck has never been in any accidents. I already need a set of tires due front tires wearing bald on the outside of the tire. I rotated the tires about 12k miles and now the tires that had been on the rear and now on the front are worn the same way. I assumed there was an issue with the front end but the dealer said it was all good. I don’t want to be buying tires every 24k miles. Any ideas of the issue? A friend has the same issue with his 2019‍♂️
I have a 2019 3500 Laramie and had the same issue. I brought my truck to a shop that just does alignments on large trucks/buses. They did the alignment and I replaced my tires at the same time. Haven't had that issue again with wearing the outside edge.