Front turn signal problem.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geer hed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Hi guys, I have an 06 1500 Laramie, The front right turn signal works "some times". It quit, so I figured OK I need a bulb, but before I replaced it, it started working again for about a week, then went out again. It was out for about 2 weeks I thought OK NOW I need a bulb. It started working again, but before I made it home it quit again.
Has anyone else had an issue like this and if so what did you find the problem to be ? I'm just trying to narrow it down if possible before start ripping things apart.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I'm betting you find corrosion in the bulb socket, the little connection that the spring pushes against the bulb. I would also check the connections on the harness where it plugs into the rear of the housing. Get you a long driver to reach that furthest screw and the rest is easy. Good luck, let's hope it's something simple.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'm betting you find corrosion in the bulb socket, the little connection that the spring pushes against the bulb. I would also check the connections on the harness where it plugs into the rear of the housing. Get you a long driver to reach that furthest screw and the rest is easy. Good luck, let's hope it's something simple.

That is the first thing I would check as well. Two other things come to mind...a loose or corroded connection at the bulb and a loose turn signal ballast connection.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
That is the first thing I would check as well. Two other things come to mind...a loose or corroded connection at the bulb and a loose turn signal ballast connection.
Don't quote me on this, but his 2002 might not have a turn signal ballast, my 05 doesn't. The signals are run through the brain. I learned that when I converted to all LED. It would have been so much simpler if Dodge had just used signal ballasts.

OP
OP
Geer hed

Geer hed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Thank you both. I'm hoping it's something simple and stupid, but we've been in the mid to upper 20s so I didn't want to waist time pulling the light housing to check it if it has a common issue of any kind in another area. This is my first Dodge so I'm not that familiar with all their normal quirks yet.

Thanks again.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Ground issue? Had a ground issue on a Jeep once, drove me crazy with similar issue. Once I checked and reseated/cleaned the grounds for turn signals (and other things that were still working fine) issue solved.