Front U joint replacement 2015 ram 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Activate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 and 1998
Engine
360 and 410 with SC
Hello,

I have play in the front U joint from my RAM 1500 4x4 sport.
I have looked at Rockauto and Summit but can not find the U joint?
Wich one do I need?

Thanks and greetings,

Erik.

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I would get the part number from a dealer and cross-eference it to what on-line stores have. This is one I bought locally for the rear shaft for 2014 1500 4x4. Both axle and transfer case ends. Please, ignore the drill bit :)

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are they even replaceable on the front driveshaft of the 1500s?

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not finding just the u joint either. You may have to replace the whole driveshaft.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I replaced mine when I did my Gen 3 front diff swap.

I Just pull it and went to the parts store. They matched it up for me, but I dont remember the # unfortunately but it was a standard MOOG one.

My spare front driveshaft is under 4 feet of snow, So I cant get the# for you... lol...

Whatever you do dont waste your money replacing the whole thing... lol..

Victor Brill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Jumping on this thread instead of making my own. Looking to replace my U-Joints on a 2011 Ram 1500. Curious what you ended up going with OP?

Looking on Rockauto and they have a lot of options. I see the Moog 331 that is listed above and will probably go with that. My question would be, do people prefer the Moog or Dana Spicer? Also, there are a ton of Heavy Duty options that aren't much more expsnsive but wondering if they would be worth it( I don't tow/haul/off-road that often.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just replaced the whole front driveshaft. I ordered from Partsavatar in Canada for about $250.

PdPuNOme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No one have the same problem?
I am. My original from my 15 ram has a sticky/hard spot in the joint, so got a donor from a 19 classic and has the same exact bad spot in the joint as the 15, go figure... this is very common for the front driveshaft from all the digging I have done. Only real info I can find is there are two versions one for the 6 speed trans at 33" total length and another for the 8 speed (dial shifter) at 33 3/4" length. Nothing on the u joint. Either way I would only go with Spicer brand. I will follow up should I come across the correct p# for the ujoint.

Chaga

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone have luck finding a u joint? Or did you have to replace the whole shaft?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone have luck finding a u joint? Or did you have to replace the whole shaft?
I have a feeling it's a common u joint, it's just finding out what part number it is. I'm sure they wanted to make it so we would have to buy the whole drive shaft but the u joints have to come from somewhere

Chaga

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a feeling it's a common u joint, it's just finding out what part number it is. I'm sure they wanted to make it so we would have to buy the whole drive shaft but the u joints have to come from somewhere
Hopefully someone here has some info on what u joint.

Panarama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wow, no one here has ujoint part numbers memorized?

Back in the day, I knew the what those were- across the board of manufacturers. Which ones were stronger, etc...
It was cheaper to replace ujoints than diffs, trans, etc.

Mwilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello,

I have play in the front U joint from my RAM 1500 4x4 sport.
I have looked at Rockauto and Summit but can not find the U joint?
Wich one do I need?

Thanks and greetings,

Erik.
Hey, don’t know if you fixed the issue but I figured it out. The front u-joint is replaceable. However, the manufacturer designed it so the u joint is not easily replaced. The perfect fit for replacement is a Spicer 1310 u joint.

The clips are sunk into the yoke (dimpled), meaning that they cannot be pulled with a pair of pliers. I had to drill out the clips so I could get to the u joint. Once removed and replaced inside the yoke, I had to use a punch to push the metal on top of the u joint caps so they would not fall out.

Since they aren’t really meant to be replaced, my advice is to buy a front driveshaft from rock auto and save yourself the headache.

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No one in their right mind would pay for a new drive shaft when all it takes its a 20$ U-joint.

If you think thats a headache dont do gear swaps... lol...