Frozen screw jack on my 87 D150 any ideas how to get it unstuck ? Tried penetrating oil and tapping with a hammer no good. I can drill out rivets but

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Is there a plug on the bottom? If you can change the oil it can be fixed but if it's sealed throw it away and get a newish one. The main issue you will have if you do get it free is the seals may never be the same. One trick we do underground is soak it in a pail of diesel fuel but other than that not much else I can think of.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Is there a plug on the bottom? If you can change the oil it can be fixed but if it's sealed throw it away and get a newish one. The main issue you will have if you do get it free is the seals may never be the same. One trick we do underground is soak it in a pail of diesel fuel but other than that not much else I can think of.
This is a SCREW JACK no hydraulics involved. Make a batch of penetrating oil and soak the whole thing, I think the rivets just hold the base on ,but you may be able to open it to clean it.

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
Do as suggested, soak the whole thing in oil or better, diesel in a bucket and leave it. If that don’t work you are done

Wallyb4

Retired EWC(SW/AW) 1983-2003
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Just go the the junk yard and get another one for a few bucks. It looks like the one on my Jeep Cherokee.

OP
OP
C

carguy4sp

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 3500 4x2 6.7
Engine
Thanks everyone some good ideas that I can try. I am old school 70 year old and belive almost everything is fixable. I came up from a generation of fixers and not the throw away kind of guy.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

1970Pelle

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
90 W150,ShortBed/87 Ramcharger 2WD project
Engine
W150 318,4bbl,auto4x4 VGC/ 87 Ramcharger 318/904 VGC
I have a pretty decent one you may have. Cover shipping from Florida

scout2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
359 Cummins
if you're dead set on fixing this one, additional items to consider might be to hot-tank it, or next for your consideration might be ultrasonic cleaner, assuming you can find one with a large enough tank.

Originally, I was inline with the other commenters to just replace it, but as I've watched this thread drag out, I'm kind of hoping you figure out what happened and you get it fixed, and also share the details once you've got it going again.

Good Luck !

scout2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
359 Cummins
Thanks everyone some good ideas that I can try. I am old school 70 year old and belive almost everything is fixable. I came up from a generation of fixers and not the throw away kind of guy.

Its been a month since we've heard from you and your jack issue.

Can you please give us a status update?

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
He hasn't been back since the day he posted, another one and done

scout2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
359 Cummins
He hasn't been back since the day he posted, another one and done

or at least (2) and done.

There was his original post on 17 June 2022, then a reply/update post (post #6) later, although also on 17 June 2022.

Its been a month, and there is the strong possibility you are correct. Then again, he states he's a 70 year old man, possibly he's just moving at his own speed.

Its not as much that I have a weird fascination with this, but more along the lines of I enjoy watching someone bring back something that all common sense would have most just throw this thing in the trash, while just ignoring probably a dozen other/better/easier/cheaper options that would get a working jack in this truck.

Again, I suspect you are spot on correct, but fingers crossed, I hope you are wrong and OP shows back up with his handiwork.