Frusteration with truck being in the shop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Alright I am going to apologize for the rant early.

Bought the truck in Nov, been in the shop 3 times already for a total of 16 days. I love the truck, has three outstanding recalls on it.

Went for first oil change they told me the transmission pump was leaking, had it for 3 days and told me needed a new transmission. 9 days later i got the truck back. No big deal as I was given a rental, then the second oil change same issue, transmission pump leaking, they replaced it again and said it was good to go another 4 days in the shop. We are talking at 5k miles and 10k miles. I now have 12k miles on the truck, and I need recalls U61 and U74 completed, and one other. Also something about the running lights on the top of the cab. They want the truck for another 3 days.

This is super frusterating as now I am attempting to schedule for the recalls, they wont call me back and I am sure they wont give me a rental car. I wonder why three days for recalls....seems odd.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the time requirement but if they have to keep your truck a loaner is to be provided.

It is frustrating for sure. I had my 2014 for almost 2 weeks and then it went into the shop for a new engine. They had it for almost a month. The downside was, of course, not having my truck for a month. The upside was the loaner was free, they upgraded the mirrors to full power fold and they made the first month's payment.

OP
OP
Meister

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have gotten a car wash once....I mean gosh it's a 60k truck it should run pretty well at least for the first year right? I have a feeling the transmission is leaking again....found some spots in the garage today. Lucky me....

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
ughhh...well, you may be embarking on a lemon law issue then if they can't get that leak sorted out. Most lemon laws seem to engage at 3 or more same type failure occurences.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't believe the dealers even have the parts for the U74 (tailgate) recall yet. Either way, no way those take 3 days.
Who are using, Colorado Springs Dodge?

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
U74 parts aren't in, so don't count on that getting done this visit!

TXCOMT

OP
OP
Meister

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I am using Colorado Springs Dodge, or have been. I am working with Perkins now. I called them today and they confirmed they have the parts needed for the fix. Now I wonder if they will just fix the U61 and then put me in taking it back again. I dont want to take this to a lemon law issue or get rid of the truck....It just is terrible I like the truck, but its something all the time with it. I hate to say it but I didnt have issues with my previous 1500, or the Tundra i traded to get into this. Six years of owning the tundra...no shop time at all besides aftermarket parts....Just concerned is all.

PW2018PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm in the same boat. My tranny pan had a slow drip since 2k miles (8k now). 2 seperate dealers have replaced/resealed the pan 4 times now with no luck.

Now this time they've had my truck about 2 weeks so far and they wany to replace the tranny. I'm not happy about it because I personally think that the leak could be fixed with a proper gasket seal.

Heres the kicker...Ram HQ wants my dealer to use a refurbed tranny to replace mine instead of a new one....wtf?

Did you get new trannies when they replaced yours? @Meister

OP
OP
Meister

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Yes mine was new they wanted to give me a refurb as well. My statement was simple I bought a new truck you can give me a new transmission or a new truck. I didnt buy a refurb truck so I dont wany refurb parts. I'll tell you be careful and inspect what they put in before they put it in. I am going to just ask for a refund of all my money and take business elsewhere I think. I'm very conflicted as I love the truck. Not loving the reliability nor the way Chrysler is handling it.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
I took mine in about 10 days ago for the u-11, u-61 and u74. the first two were an inspection and reprogramming only , and was done in a couple of hours. No parts yet for the tailgate. not having issues with that yet. Screw a refurb that's bs.

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I have a feeling the transmission is leaking again....found some spots in the garage today. Lucky me....

Did you notice spots on the ground the first two times? Have you crawled under the truck to see where it appears to be leaking from?

Even though there are two of you with the same problem, I don't believe this is a "common" problem. If this is your third trans with the same issues there is problem somewhere else that is causing the trans to start leaking.

OP
OP
Meister

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Yes I crawled under it's the trans again....another two weeks without my truck

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Meister, if you ever make it over the continental divide to the Western Slope you might want to have it checked out at Barney Brothers Off Road, Grand Junction Auto Repair. It's the nearest 4x4 repair shop east of Dixie 4 Wheel Drive in Moab. Both shops have excellent reviews.

Last edited:

turnerje

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 17 with almost 21k miles. I definitely don’t have this issue (knock on wood). I’m having a hard time believing you’ve had 1-2 bad transmissions. They need to figure out what’s making them go Bad. This is definitely an awesome truck. It sounds like you just got a bad Apple.

OP
OP
Meister

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
It is what it is, unfortunately the dealertship is the one who is making the determination the transmissions need to be replaced. I am scheduled to take it in later this week, if it needs a new transmission I will be leaving it there and telling them I want my money back. I will look else where for a more reliable vehicle.