Frustrated with Dealership - What’s Yours?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Ok, so I get it - people need to sell trucks to make money. My unfortunate experience was in So. California, IE area. I was about ready to sign on a truck with an 8K over MSRP price when I found I could order one from out of state and have a normal buying experience. Thanks to my lady for finding the dealership in NV and I ordered, but just need to wait a bit longer. Guess what….

I just got a call from the dealership here in California. Hey man, the truck you wanted is here why don’t you work with us and all the lines to make ME feel guilty. I simply said the chance to work with me was back when you were charging me 8K over, not now when the truck is on the lot. Not to mention he won’t budge on over 4K of dealer add-ons. We’ll lower your payment, anything to make it happen. Well IMHO that chance has come and gone. Then he wanted to know the dealer and I kept that to myself. Clearly, I’m not here to talk bad because I’m not disclosing the name of the So. Cal Dealership. Or share where I ordered in NV to them.

What is your experience? I really feel tired, tired of the way I was treated and the dealer in Vegas was just open and close simple. I appreciated that And the guys here just ran me into the ground. I appreciate hearing your thoughts. Did I do the right thing here? I think I did. I was polite and simply stated I will wait for mine when it comes and a few guys or gals are going to get an amazing truck at an insane price….but that's their decision as it was almost mine. ——KT

OP
OP
KoboldTaco

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Yes you did the right thing. Why throw 8000.00 grand away.
Yeah, the 8K savings is a check the box. I never liked the way the pressure of disclosing one dealer to another played out. And dang it, back in the start was when to make the deal happen.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Yeah, the 8K savings is a check the box. I never liked the way the pressure of disclosing one dealer to another played out. And dang it, back in the start was when to make the deal happen.
Stand your ground, they tried to do you with no lube or spit in my opinion and now that they might not be able to sell that ruck before the end of the month they are feeling the pressure ... you don't treat customers like that screw them !

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Some person with money that they never really earned will snap it up real quick.
After all, it was exactly what you wanted, so it will be almost exactly what someone else wants.

Their perfect Ram would take months to order & receive, so they will settle

OP
OP
KoboldTaco

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Some person with money that they never really earned will snap it up real quick.
After all, it was exactly what you wanted, so it will be almost exactly what someone else wants.

Their perfect Ram would take months to order & receive, so they will settle
The funny part is, my truck on order has running boards, adaptive cruise control and winter prep. Not the one the dealer has. I suppose they count on the emotional response of getting it now vs waiting. He also tried to tell me the out of state dealer will screw me on doc fees. True, there is no cap on doc fees in NV like CA has but, not 8k worth.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I built my last two trucks on the Ram site. Emailed it to some of the big name dealers in the country. Got their price, including DOC fees. Just before ordering the truck from the best priced dealer I went to my local Ram dealer and they matched the price. I did the same thing with my TT. Works for me.

RebelHawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
'22 Hemi 5.7 eTourge
We went through that back in 2020 when my wife wanted a new Jeep. The local dealer was trying to get over MSRP but it was exactly what my wife wanted. I started looking around and found one next town over that was offering under MSRP that was the diesel version but had all the bells and whistles she wanted. I went back to my local dealer to see if I can work a deal and they dug in their heals and wouldn't budge I walked out the door, called the other dealer and made the deal.

Flash forward to 2022 and I started looking for a new RAM. My local dealer was offering under MSRP for the one I wanted so signed on the dotted line. I guess it depends on models and inventory.

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just can't see paying even MSRP, let alone a markup. I think many people forget that new vehicles depreciate 20-30% in the first year of ownership, and that is based on MSRP - the markup is not part of that calculation. They have literally tossed that money out the window. So, yea - you did the right thing!

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Back in the late 90's I had a 1991 F250 351 that I was looking to trade up on. Found a 1997 (1 year old) F250 460 with about 15,000 on it. Talked to the saleslady and they told me their best price. I told them I'd think about it. Went and looked at a couple more the next day and decided to go back and make that deal on the 1997. By then it was evening and I told them to go an extra $500 and they ha a deal. She calls the sales manager (who was gone for the day) and ran it by him and he agreed. I told them I would go to my credit union the next morning to get the loan and be down to pick it up. Gave them a $500 check to hold it and we signed the agreement. Next morning. The next morning she calls and says we have a problem. She said her sales manager was thinking of a different truck and can't go the extra $500. I told her I didn't want the truck the. She asked 'so you're willing to lose this truck over $500?'. I asked if they were willing to lose this sale over $500? She puts me on hold and comes back and tells me 'ok, we'll go the $500'. I told her what they could do with their $500 and told them to rip up my check and send it back to me. They sent me a card a few days later asking me to call them to talk again and sent me my check back but I went and found another truck somewhere else

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Some dealers stink, others are pretty good. A year ago I worked out a deal for a new 2500 near Ft Lauderdale, via on line and phone calls. We signed an agreement. Next day I’m halfway on a 140 mile drive to pick it up and they called and said there was a problem, some other guy also agreed to buy it and was there taking possession. I was pissed! Long story short, 2 days later a 2500 that was perfect for me showed up at a dealership in Clermont, Fl. Manager promised they would hold it for me until the next day and she was good to her word. Got a truck I liked even more, about 7% off MSRP and excellent service. I’ve long known what ever is supposed to happen will happen. For OP, you’re gonna love your new truck!

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You and your girl did great. W.C. Fields said “a sucker is born every minute”. Clearly not you all. :party36:
Not disagreeing with you that they did great in saving money. But it was P. T. Barnum who is credited with saying "there's a fool born every minute". W. C. Fields' quotes tended to revolve more around alcohol LOL.

NavyGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I agree, you did the right thing. I purchased a Ram, Big Horn last week here in Southwest Florida at Cape Coral Jeep Ram. I had shopped GMC, Chevy and Ford dealerships the previous week. I walked in the dealership, they had inventory and had a perfect buying experience. Two hours later I drove out, deal done with a new Ram. They also had add on's but they worked with me and I think I got a fair deal in a difficult automotive market.

I hope we both enjoy our new Ram trucks. First red vehicle for me.

mcarey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I ordered through a high-volume dealer, similar to Mark Dodge but no longer doing the same deals any longer, and wouldn't change a single thing about the entire transaction aside from having to pick up the truck ~1000 miles away. Was my first time doing so, and definitely will not be the last.

I could have shipped it to me, but it was a nice drive and saved me an additional $600 or so bucks for one day of my time.

Anyways, all I did was send a build sheet from the RAM site to the dealer. They replied that day with their offer, which was right around 10K off MSRP. I did check with the two local RAM dealers if they could match, which they couldn't; so the next day we put together a contract, I sent a deposit, and the order was officially placed.

6 week or so later, I took a flight to pick up exactly what I ordered for exactly what I was quoted (well, less actually once incentives were applied) and drove home. No games, no BS, they even picked me up from the airport. Was exactly how car buying should be.