Frustrating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keith Mehlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is more of a vent than question but man am I frustrated. I have a 14 Ram 1500, 5.7 Hemi. A couple of months ago my dealer replaced the transmission, something wrong with 3rd gear and metal shavings. Under warranty, no problems. The last few weeks I have noticed what I think is a transmission overheating problem. I have been running between Omaha and a location in South Dakota quite a bit recently, 250 miles. That's a mostly flat, straight run. I run 75 in Iowa, 80 in South Dakota. The ambient temp has been between 85 and 90. On one trip 3 weeks ago I happened to switch over to the digital readouts and saw the transmission temp was 230 degrees. That's hot. I was just getting off the interstate and it cooled down quickly. I started paying attention. On my next trip, running 80, pulling nothing, I watched the temp slowly get to 255. I backed off and it cooled down to between 200 and 210. I stopped, got gas, and made an appointment with the dealership. I'll get to the dealership shortly. Since then I have noticed a pattern. She'll run at 194 for about 40 miles, then start to slowly creep up to about 210. It hasn't gone over that since the 255 day, but I still think that's too hot. The dealer looked at it, agreeing that 255 is hot. It didn't throw any codes, btw, I never got a check engine or transmission warning light, and they couldn't get it to over heat, but they didn't drive it for 40 to 50 miles on interstate. It seemed to me that with no codes they are lost. In the meantime, I have a truck I can't trust, and a trip to Sturgis pulling my toy hauler coming up. It's the new transmission, but with no codes they won't replace. Uggg.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
This is more of a vent than question but man am I frustrated. I have a 14 Ram 1500, 5.7 Hemi. A couple of months ago my dealer replaced the transmission, something wrong with 3rd gear and metal shavings. Under warranty, no problems. The last few weeks I have noticed what I think is a transmission overheating problem. I have been running between Omaha and a location in South Dakota quite a bit recently, 250 miles. That's a mostly flat, straight run. I run 75 in Iowa, 80 in South Dakota. The ambient temp has been between 85 and 90. On one trip 3 weeks ago I happened to switch over to the digital readouts and saw the transmission temp was 230 degrees. That's hot. I was just getting off the interstate and it cooled down quickly. I started paying attention. On my next trip, running 80, pulling nothing, I watched the temp slowly get to 255. I backed off and it cooled down to between 200 and 210. I stopped, got gas, and made an appointment with the dealership. I'll get to the dealership shortly. Since then I have noticed a pattern. She'll run at 194 for about 40 miles, then start to slowly creep up to about 210. It hasn't gone over that since the 255 day, but I still think that's too hot. The dealer looked at it, agreeing that 255 is hot. It didn't throw any codes, btw, I never got a check engine or transmission warning light, and they couldn't get it to over heat, but they didn't drive it for 40 to 50 miles on interstate. It seemed to me that with no codes they are lost. In the meantime, I have a truck I can't trust, and a trip to Sturgis pulling my toy hauler coming up. It's the new transmission, but with no codes they won't replace. Uggg.

I’ll go out on a limb and say your transmission thermostat is bad if this is the 8HP70.

Sent from Blue Onyx

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That is crazy hot I've pulled my 7500lb tt thru the mountaons at that same temp and only seen 245 but that was because I was running 70 up the mountain lol. No idea if it would make a difference but did they put in new sensors? If those are legit temps no way would I pull anything till it's figured out.is it possible a dirty filter IDK if it even has one just *********** lol.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I know how bad these transmissions can get, mine has a issue no one knows even existed and no one knows the fix for. I have the 65RFE.

Sent from Blue Onyx

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therapywolf