fuel additives and octane ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what types of fuel additives do you guys use on your Hemis? What injector cleaner? Does anyone use an octane booster? What type of gas? ie: regular (10%) or non-ethanol?

I switched to non-ethanol, but it's like a $1 more per gallon. Truck seems to run better and i get better milage (nothing great...maybe +2-3 mpg. Not sure if it's worth it.

I'd like to add injector cleaner, but there's so many out there, i just want one that works. Any suggestions? We're taking it on a 600 mile trip so i thought this would be the best time to throw some in.

Back to fuel...what octane do you prefer in the Hemi? Does an octane booster actually do anything other than take your money?

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
Use top tier gas, and you don't need to add anything.

The OP mentioned 2-3 MPG better without ethanol, I call BS..............
These trucks were designed to run on ethanol blended gas.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

The OPer is not the only one to have reported improved mpg with non-ethanol gas.

Do you think a corn additive has the same energy as gasoline?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD

Every Mopar vehicle my wife and I have owned over the past 20 years has gotten much better mpg (1.5 to 2 mpg) with 100% pure gas compared to 10% ethanol blended gas, I lived in north Iowa for many years, know people who work in the plants, they told me that once ethanol its put in to the train tank cars it starts too deteriorate unless it was treated with stabilizers and the ethanol plants do not put stabilizers additives in the rail cars to help keep it from going to :poop: ...

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We do know that it burns cleaner.

Before our crackpot pm flipped his lid and ordered that all gas must contain ethanol, I bought nothing but non-ethanol premium fuel for all of my small engines.

I don't think we can buy ethanol-free gas in Canada anymore.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yes, the fuel system and the engine are both designed to handle ethanol-laced fuel as well as a range of octane levels (octane is not energy) but don't be so quick to call BS until you take a look at what ethanol is.

You can do your own research but in short, ethanol has less chemical energy than gasoline. When you have less chemical energy per ounce then you have to pass more ethanol-laced fuel through the engine to achieve the same results with respect to pure gasoline.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what types of fuel additives do you guys use on your Hemis? What injector cleaner? Does anyone use an octane booster? What type of gas? ie: regular (10%) or non-ethanol?

I switched to non-ethanol, but it's like a $1 more per gallon. Truck seems to run better and i get better milage (nothing great...maybe +2-3 mpg. Not sure if it's worth it.

I'd like to add injector cleaner, but there's so many out there, i just want one that works. Any suggestions? We're taking it on a 600 mile trip so i thought this would be the best time to throw some in.

Back to fuel...what octane do you prefer in the Hemi? Does an octane booster actually do anything other than take your money?
Additive that seems to work well is Redline SL-1. I use it every 3-4k.
I will be pulling my heads off for a cam/lifter upgrade in a couple of weeks so we will see how good it actually is.