Fuel Additives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Thanks.

By the way, all fuel additives are highly concentrated. You'll find they all use "a very, very small amount' per gallon. For example, Diesel Power Plus is 1 oz per 32 gallons For Lucas or any of the others, it is not "a selling point". It's a fact of how much you need to use to achieve its purpose. XDP

When you say "a very, very small amount" per gallon, you aren't kidding, are you? If, as you say, Diesel Power Plus recommends only 1 oz per 32 gallons, and there are 4,096 ounces in 32 gallons, that is an incredibly small treatment ratio of 1:4,096. Or, to put it another way, 244 PPM (parts per million). I find it impossible to believe their claim that such an infinitesimally small amount of their -- or any other product -- could have any affect at all. o_O:Insane:

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
When you say "a very, very small amount" per gallon, you aren't kidding, are you? I find it impossible to believe their claim that such an infinitesimally small amount of their -- or any other product -- could have any affect at all. o_O:Insane:

Believe it! Look at any fuel additive product and you'll find similar ratios. Most will say to double the dose if you want more effect, still an incredibly small ratio.

If you don't want to believe it, so be it.

Last edited:

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
When you say "a very, very small amount" per gallon, you aren't kidding, are you? If, as you say, Diesel Power Plus recommends only 1 oz per 32 gallons, and there are 4,096 ounces in 32 gallons, that is an incredibly small treatment ratio of 1:4,096. Or, to put it another way, 244 PPM (parts per million). I find it impossible to believe their claim that such an infinitesimally small amount of their -- or any other product -- could have any affect at all. o_O:Insane:[/QUOTE

They make all kinds of claims with no independent scientific proof, only testing by the company wanting to sell us this snake oil. People just buy it and use it because they believe it works.

Ed Pauly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 turbo diesel
I have a bottle of Power Services and they sugess to add the 32 oz bottel to 250 gallon

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
I've had Cummins diesels and had never used any additive. Then I had a 20 model built and afterward had learned about the cp4 debacle. I researched what was the best thing that I could do to help prevent pump failure and they all said it fails from a lack of lubrication. Then I researched what was the best way and products to get good lubrication to protect your fuel system from such failures. It came down to a couple products and i felt that hotshot brand was the best. There most lubricity product is the lx4. So I do to regiments. The hot shot edt w/lx4 wich is supposed to help the whole fuel system with a little lx4 added in for lube. Then I add a second product of stand alone lx4 for superior lube. Betwern the two I feel better and figure I'm covered. I'm not willing to gamble on$17,000 WORTH of fuel system damages and they're is plenty of testing out there to prove American diesel doers not meet the same standards of lubricity as other country's standards. Until we get cp3s, the extra lubricity from the hot shot isn't going to hurt any and only help and that's proven by wear scratch testing.

13Goat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I use ,depending on how much fuel I pump in, anywhere from a pint to a quart of outboard motor oil. I have an '02 Cummins with the 35 gallon tank. The truck has just north of 210,000 on the clock. Reason for the outboard oil is to up the lubricity of this crappy low-sulphur diesel we now have. Friend of mine was our county commissioner; their older diesel equipment started having injector pump wear problems when they started to get the low-sulphur diesel. One of the mechanics started trying all manner of additives, with no luck in solving the problems. He finally tried dumping outboard motor oil in the thanks and from then on, their injector pump issues went away. I figured it it would work for a motor grader, etc., it should work for a truck. Hope I dont jinx myself, but the injector pump in my '02 is the original.

Greyhound240

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HO
Jimmy, where do you purchase your Lucas products? If I like the Lucas Cerane Power Booster fuel additive I will want to buy a case of 64 ounce bottles and would like to know the best deal out there. Thanks!
K

RamItFaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Tradesman
Engine
Cummins
I use fuel injector cleaner, little grey bottle for 9.99 at local autozone. Treats "up to" 40 gallons. Boy have I noticed an improvement in my mileage. 3 mpg on a road trip I'm in the middle of atm. Without the cleaner in at 18.5 avg with it I'm at 21.9 avg. I avoid bio Diesel, and Diesel is filthy as hell, so I keep buying it because it gives me peace of mind, better mileage, and it doesnt void my warranty:)

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Contains cocaine, *****, nicotine, caffeine, pure sugar, pesticides and little pieces of red flannel!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'll take it.

For the vehicles I used Royal Purple Max Clean every now and then... ~$10/bottle and no big deal. I think it helped my old Ram, computer showed +1MPG actually.
But even if not true, I'm sure it won't hurt on older vehicles. I just don't pay the dealership $120+ for "induction flush" or whatever they call it...

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I use Lucas in our fleet of trucks & my personal one. It might just be me but I feel they run quieter & smoother with it. I have never found it to give better mileage though.

6speedcummins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I add a can of Seafoam to my tank every 3 or 4 fill ups. She loves it, I see about 1-2 MPG increase. I also add it to the oil about 500 miles before I change it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I know my baby 3.0 ecodiesel is very different than the Cummins

My only concern when it comes to any Diesel Engine, is how harshly is that biodiesel crap affecting our engines & components, fuel pump & filter, for instance

If there are 2 fueling stations side by side & 1 has biodiesel & the other has #2 diesel, which would you choose, if price were not a factor ?

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I wouldn't call biodiesel crap. It has better lubricity than the best #2. In 2007 it even tested #1 as having better lubricity than the fuel additives.

I believe the only negative is it takes a small hit on mileage.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

My only concern when it comes to any Diesel Engine, is how harshly is that biodiesel crap affecting our engines & components, fuel pump & filter, for instance

If there are 2 fueling stations side by side & 1 has biodiesel & the other has #2 diesel, which would you choose, if price were not a factor ?

I would choose biodiesel - IF - I am running engine every day. Otherwise, no. Biodiesel doesn't store worth a crap - it quickly degrades the plant fatty acids into bacterial slime.

Also - on cold days (below 40F) I wouldn't use.

Biodiesel is app. energy-neutral....it takes as much fossil fuels to make it as the energy it yields, so at least its not a net energy loser like corn-lobby ethanol is.

Biodiesel is the best fuel system lubricant of all tested in the Spicer study. Not hard to believe with all the fatty acids from soybeans.

Biodiesel leaves excess deposits for the same reason. Cummins used to recommend 1/2 oil change intervals when using.

Here in MN, we have no choice - the Ag Lobby (mostly big processors like Archer Daniels Midland, Cargill, etc.) bought off our legislators to force this down all our throats without choice.

daz0506

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002&2022
Engine
Cummins 5.9&6.7
I currently use Lucas Fuel treatment in my 2002 5.9. Getting a new 2022 6.7 next week sometime. Should I not use Lucas Fuel Treatment in the new one? Thanks, Lorie

Moose2

Military
Reaction score

#2 definately. Only problem is: here in iowa, the crap(bio blend) is everywhere including some #2 pumps. Hate that.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
There is a town in Arizona called Quartzsite
may be the RV boondocking capital of the world. Quartzsite has become a mecca to visitors and exhibitors for rocks, gems, mineral specimens and fossils during the town's famous two-month-long gem show and swap meet every January and February.

Some of the fuel stations that sell diesel fuel
Do not even mark their pumps with signs that read BioDiesel or #2 diesel & if you ask the stations Manager, they claim that they don't know either