FUEL BRANDS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JEFF MANN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ECODIESEL
Has anyone tried different fuel brands to see how their fuel mileage compares to other brands. I've been using QT and CHEVRON exclusively, they're the same price, and initially I thought the CHEVRON was going to shine, but they come in about the same, right around 21-23mpg depending on my foot.

JStulting

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodeisel
anything but same club. lol used to work there and heard so many stories of water in the fuel. hard pass for me

fulltimerart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always use a "top tier" fuel, supposed to have additives needed in modern engines. Plus Techron or Sea Foam every so often to help keep things clean and lubricated. Art

OP
OP
J

JEFF MANN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ECODIESEL
I always use HOTSHOTS SECRET additives, diesel extreme, EDT and LX4 as directed. have been wondering about the sea foam too. Difference is, mines a diesel, I wouldn't be afraid of the seafoam, just don't know if it would help once in a while.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
We try to use Cenex Roadmaster (premium) here in the Midwest. It's few and far between, though. Also spike with various Optilube additive, depending on which engine. Cetane from 45-47. The little Yanmar is supposed to have 50 min. hahahahaha.

Generally we use Summer+ and XPD seasonally.

OP
OP
J

JEFF MANN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ECODIESEL
We try to use Cenex Roadmaster (premium) here in the Midwest. It's few and far between, though. Also spike with various Optilube additive, depending on which engine. Cetane from 45-47. The little Yanmar is supposed to have 50 min. hahahahaha.

Generally we use Summer+ and XPD seasonally.
I can't find a cetane number ANYWHERE on the pumps here in Arizona.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
I've not seen much mileage difference between brands. I have noticed that when its brutally cold my mileage is less.

But what I'd like to know is this:

Why the heck do diesel fuel prices vary so much? We just drove to Jasper Texas from Syracuse over a few days.... and I've seen prices as low as $2.35 a gallon to as much as 3.45 a gallon within a few miles of each other! It seems as if the price at truck stops is always more. Sometimes much more. Especially Pilot and Love seem to be much higher than gas stations with a couple of pumps.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They can give the fleet bean counters a bigger discount so they think they are good
and they are not

OP
OP
J

JEFF MANN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ECODIESEL
I've not seen much mileage difference between brands. I have noticed that when its brutally cold my mileage is less.

But what I'd like to know is this:

Why the heck do diesel fuel prices vary so much? We just drove to Jasper Texas from Syracuse over a few days.... and I've seen prices as low as $2.35 a gallon to as much as 3.45 a gallon within a few miles of each other! It seems as if the price at truck stops is always more. Sometimes much more. Especially Pilot and Love seem to be much higher than gas stations with a couple of pumps.

I was in Phoenix(Az) the other day, there were fuel stations on three corners of the intersection, two had fuel for 279.9 and the other was 399.9, I was like holy cow, that's gonna be a hard choice! That would come down to EXTREME BRAND LOYALTY.