Fuel cap door doesn’t lock! WTH?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim Bowker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it is willful negligence on the part of Ram/FCA. Any a-hole walking along can pour a coke or bleach or motor oil down into the fuel or DEF tanks very easily. What an epic failure. I don’t want to buy two separate locking caps to protect my engine’s fuel supply as that would be cumbersome having to carry two extra keys. I don’t know if other makes manufactured in the past 25 years who don’t have a locking gas access door. Ram/FCA fails.
I wouldn't call it willful negligence - that seems a bit of a stretch, don't you think? I've had vehicles with locking caps and vehicles without, yet the world keeps turning. And in 38 years of driving, I've had exactly zero issues of people pouring **** down the fuel fill. Maybe move to a less-****** area?

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
If a thief can't open the fuel door, they might put a hole in the tank and drain it.

And while under the vehicle take your catalytic converter.

Fun times we live in.

Octane

Reaction score
I thought only imports had locking gas doors. I've never owned a vehicle with a locking gas door

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
There are places where people don't have to lock their houses up
My brother in Connecticut didn't until kids stole a couple of cartons of cigarettes from the cupboard.
None of his tools were touch from the 2 car garage, which was also unlocked., He lives 7 miles from town & the nearest commercial public building is 5 miles away.

Out here in California, we have druggies, we have thieves, we have people crossing the Mexican/American Border illegally & they only have the rags on their backs, if they can't steal a vehicle, they damage it.
Then we have very young children that don't even know that they are doing wrong when they put something in your gas tank.

The designers of our Rams live in areas that have buildings that are boarded up, but they live in Gated Communities & don't go into an area that does not have armed guards

Detroit

1641687014400.png1641687106987.png1641687142514.png1641687228134.png

Last edited:

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I thought only imports had locking gas doors. I've never owned a vehicle with a locking gas door

My wife's past two Jeep Grand Cherokees had them back from 2016. I always wondered why my Rams didn't. I never had an issue where I needed it, but just wondered why Ram didn't include it.

SaintlySins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
This was an interesting thread read.

Not seen or heard sugar, honey or other being poured into tanks since I left the Jersey Shore in 1980 and done by street urchins that were targeting one person ... no random person is wasting time trying to pour sugar into random tanks - that's a targeted attack. If you're being targeted with sugar/other and they find a locking fuel - all that changes is what gets vandalized.

Non siphoning fuel tanks will only let a small portion of fuel leave the tank because they siphon so fast. But the smaller siphon pumps are slower ... sure they take a little longer, but they'll drain a tank in 10 to 12 minutes.

I didn't think much of not having a locking fuel tank access ... until last weekend. I travel a LOT, and sleep along the highway hotel/motels as I go. Last weekend a couple in a smaller motorhome were at the front desk complaining someone has siphoned all their diesel. The people at front desk said it's been happening a lot since the price of fuel went up. I ran out to check my truck and luckily they never touched mine. Maybe it's because I was parked up front near the lights and front door.
Knowing people are siphoning fuel again (quite popular in '70's and a few times since when fuel prices were high), and I've got a 33 Gallon tank ... I'm getting a locking fuel filler cap.

I want to thank everyone that provided Gino's as the place to go ... I'm grateful you posted the solution as a google search didn't produce one.

Thanks!

Octane

Reaction score
Kids once stuffed chunks of watermelon rinds in my dads fuel tank He never went without a locking cap again.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

SaintlySins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, the wait sucks ... yet there's nothing else. It'll probably show up when fuel prices drop ;)
I looked for an aftermarket locking fuel door assembly, and nothing out there for the Newer DT trucks, all stops at 2017/2018, ie., 4th Gen.

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Geno’s locking gas cap are due in 7/31/22. I just placed my order for one. Pricey but it looks durable and by design, won’t get stuck. The $12-$15 ones on amazon have a reported 10-20% fail rate by getting stuck on the filler tube.

SaintlySins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
This was an interesting thread read.

Not seen or heard sugar, honey or other being poured into tanks since I left the Jersey Shore in 1980 and done by street urchins that were targeting one person ... no random person is wasting time trying to pour sugar into random tanks - that's a targeted attack. If you're being targeted with sugar/other and they find a locking fuel - all that changes is what gets vandalized.

Non siphoning fuel tanks will only let a small portion of fuel leave the tank because they siphon so fast. But the smaller siphon pumps are slower ... sure they take a little longer, but they'll drain a tank in 10 to 12 minutes.

I didn't think much of not having a locking fuel tank access ... until last weekend. I travel a LOT, and sleep along the highway hotel/motels as I go. Last weekend a couple in a smaller motorhome were at the front desk complaining someone has siphoned all their diesel. The people at front desk said it's been happening a lot since the price of fuel went up. I ran out to check my truck and luckily they never touched mine. Maybe it's because I was parked up front near the lights and front door.
Knowing people are siphoning fuel again (quite popular in '70's and a few times since when fuel prices were high), and I've got a 33 Gallon tank ... I'm getting a locking fuel filler cap.

I want to thank everyone that provided Gino's as the place to go ... I'm grateful you posted the solution as a google search didn't produce one.

Thanks!

UPDATE:

I received my Locking Fuel Cap from Gino's.
It took longer that expected - but to Gino's credit, they sent out updates of the extended delays which made me feel good about how they put Customer Service as a primary part of their corporate structure.

Now for the good news - it's quite a unique piece of engineering and it works quite well. I'm very happy and now confident the tank is safe from a siphon. I hope there are improvements to the design as it's a little awkward and wonky to get the "key" out for each fill, alas, it's a minor issue and I'd rather take the extra minute to pull the key out and unlock/lock the cap with each fill ... than to lose $150.00 worth of fuel because I was inconvenienced by a full minute.

Thanks again to those who recommended Gino's and the Gino's staff.