Fuel cap door doesn’t lock! WTH?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baylazz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I have a 2021 Ram Big Horn with V6 Ecodiesel and the fuel door doesn’t lock? WTH? This makes my diesel fuel and DEF subject to tampering very easily. The fuel door SHOULD LOCK WHEN THE VEHICLE IS LOCKED! Does anyone else have this problem? All of my other vehicles ( not Ram or FCA) have locking fuel doors. Is this an over-looked item on all Ram trucks?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You can get locking caps for both fuel and DEF from Geno's Garage.
^^^ this
I have them for mine and the same company makes the ones for the new style filler neck used in Gen5 trucks. Very well designed and made.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Fortunately I have no need or desire for locking fuel caps.
I have more concern with my off road bulk fuel tanks then my pickup tanks.

OP
OP
B

baylazz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I think it is willful negligence on the part of Ram/FCA. Any a-hole walking along can pour a coke or bleach or motor oil down into the fuel or DEF tanks very easily. What an epic failure. I don’t want to buy two separate locking caps to protect my engine’s fuel supply as that would be cumbersome having to carry two extra keys. I don’t know if other makes manufactured in the past 25 years who don’t have a locking gas access door. Ram/FCA fails.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
There is an electric door lock that you can get and I am looking for it right now, buddy of mine installed it on his Ram 1500 and works with the OEM fuel cap door ... if I find the little fawker online I will come back and post it ... it's a universal lock so you can use it on any fuel cap door you want ...

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
I don’t know if other makes manufactured in the past 25 years who don’t have a locking gas access door. Ram/FCA fails.
Once they developed antisiphon fill tanks most manufacturers ditched them. Chev, Ford, Nissan, and Toyota truck doors don't lock from factory so you'll see lots of posts of owners looking for locking caps or doors. The HD Chev guys have had a few great melt downs over this "missing mandatory safety feature".

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you have DEF & Diesel, they give you plastic caps that keep water out of the tanks
There is no real room for your fingers & those two caps if they were real

I had a locking door put on my eco-diesel, my street had gangs living here until the landlord was forced to evict & sell the 3 apartment complexes that he owned.

1641185969783.png

1641186060860.png

all of these websites & brick & mortar stores carry AMI products

OP
OP
B

baylazz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I’ve got an Infinity and two VW vehicles and a previous Honda all had fuel door releases on the drivers side.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
That would be something that they should do with new Rams

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
That would be something that they should do with new Rams
I am still trying to find the one that my buddy used on his truck ... but I think he ended up using an actuator from a different vehicle on it now that I think about it, but it still worked on our fuel doors ....

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I have a 2021 Ram Big Horn with V6 Ecodiesel and the fuel door doesn’t lock? WTH? This makes my diesel fuel and DEF subject to tampering very easily. The fuel door SHOULD LOCK WHEN THE VEHICLE IS LOCKED! Does anyone else have this problem? All of my other vehicles ( not Ram or FCA) have locking fuel doors. Is this an over-looked item on all Ram trucks?
You live in California.

Take the truck to Sacramento and leave it there to rot!

RickH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You have raised a legitimate concern of yours to the people who most want to help you be happy with your truck. Blaming the manufacturer for the oversight, however appropriate it might be, will accomplish nothing. The solutions offered are all good and you should probably implement one of them. Continuing to spout off will only result in your being seen as an entitled troll. Adapt, adjust, overcome! Move on.

Scott Sanders

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yep, i'm pretty sure the designers and engineers overlooked it...simply forgot about it

John Beauvais

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Diesel
I agree.I have a 2019 Ram 2500 Limited diesel and Ive been unable to find a locking fuel door,Ill try Genos Garage......

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
It is not a feature found on Ram trucks.

You can get locking caps for both fuel and DEF from Geno's Garage. They work well.
Yes, less than a week after I purchased my '19 Laramie I got these locking caps from Geno's and they are great. As to why the trucks do not come with a way to secure the fuel is a mystery to me

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Does anybody believe a locking gas door...that is opened by a pull handle from inside the vehicle...is doing anything more than keeping honest people honest (stealing fuel)?

As to someone dumping 'something' into a tank...I would question what is going on that someone is so upset with you to compel them to sabotage your vehicle.

Not trying to stir the pot, just being realistic.