Fuel ecenomy when towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I was hoping for 15mpg, but these recent discussions have scared me a bit. The trailer is aerodynamic and light...so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I could live with 13 or 14mpg though :) Thanks for the reply.
You have spark plugs and missing the turbo, so I can't say you'll hit 15mpg while towing...lol
Pulled a 24' eclosed car hauler that weighs 3K plus the cargo for a weekend hunting trip in somewhat windy conditions, got almost 17mpg

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
You have spark plugs and missing the turbo, so I can't say you'll hit 15mpg while towing...lol
Pulled a 24' eclosed car hauler that weighs 3K plus the cargo for a weekend hunting trip in somewhat windy conditions, got almost 17mpg

That's excellent!

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you will hit your target as it isn't that heavy and you probably won't be driving overly fast and it is the wind resistance that kills the mpg.

ISellRams22

TxnRamTrvlr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
K&n drop in free flow filter and free flow exhaust

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
K&n drop in free flow filter and free flow exhaust
In my experience things like that don't do much for fuel economy and towing unless you make other engine modifications to take advantage of the increased air flow. Just my opinion though

mfifield01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Just got back from a trip to Colorado (from Central Texas). I got good MPG on the way out with mostly calm winds (10 MPG). On the way back, I was towing into a 20-30mph wind. I was getting somewhere around 7 MPG. For the overall trip, I got around 8 MPG.

thekevin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get right at 10mpg pulling my 6500lb 28ft camper in my 2017 cc 4x4 3.92s 8spd.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Just got back from a 200 mile round trip towing my 6k TT and was loaded heavy going out for a week camping trip. Mixed highway and some rural 2 lane roads. Got 11.1 mpg average. Not too shabby. I tried to keep her around 60 on the turnpike.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In my experience things like that don't do much for fuel economy and towing unless you make other engine modifications to take advantage of the increased air flow. Just my opinion though

In my experience, I wouldn't use a K & N anything if you value your engine.

They make the supposed extra power by letting in more air, which means the space between the fibers is bigger, which also lets in more dirt/grit.

The 97 dually I had was sporting a K & N when I got it. I took it off, and the intake tube from the filter to the turbo was coated in dirt/dust, which told me it did a poor job at filtering crap out. Go to just about any diesel forum and you will hear the same thing......

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
In my experience, I wouldn't use a K & N anything if you value your engine.

They make the supposed extra power by letting in more air, which means the space between the fibers is bigger, which also lets in more dirt/grit.

The 97 dually I had was sporting a K & N when I got it. I took it off, and the intake tube from the filter to the turbo was coated in dirt/dust, which told me it did a poor job at filtering crap out. Go to just about any diesel forum and you will hear the same thing......

I didn't want to trash k&n but your correct. I've seen the same thing on vehicles I've owned and worked on and yes I did follow maintenance directions and cleaned and oiled it properly. To each their own though. If you have one and like it that's ok too, they are just not for me personally.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn't want to trash k&n but your correct. I've seen the same thing on vehicles I've owned and worked on and yes I did follow maintenance directions and cleaned and oiled it properly. To each their own though. If you have one and like it that's ok too, they are just not for me personally.

Well, intent wasn't to 'trash', just telling the truth.

Too many out there buy the hype, buy the product, and don't know how or why, then have problems. Just trying to save someone some grief later on.

Last edited: