Fuel Economy!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaxerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How do I go about calculating the difference in cost of Between a hemi and an eco-diesel 1500.

In the process of buying a truck in the next few days and I'm still undecided. I'm finding OK deals on 15 Laramies and Limited's , A sport is not so easy to find nor is the eco unless you want to buy a new 16. I like the sport slightly better then the Laramie but hard to find with air sus and sunroof. I think if I pay cash instead of lease I should get a 14-15. There are a few used with less than 10k miles on them for around 37-41k on the hemi laremie. Ecos are 46k+.

I plan on keeping it for the next 8 to 10 years, I rarely tow, and have never owned a truck before.

Is the extra cost of the Eco really worth it? The mpg is amazing, so I just don't know. Diesel here is 2.30, gas is 1.85. I only do about 15k miles a year, lots of city. I hear the Eco does about 800mi a tank vs 350m on hemi.

There must be a formula or something. Do All you 5.7 hemi guys hate your fuel mpg? Is it even and issue?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Last edited:

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How do I go about calculating the difference in cost of Between a hemi and an eco-diesel 1500.

In the process of buying a truck in the next few days and I'm still undecided. I'm finding OK deals on 15 Laramies and Limited's , A sport is not so easy to find nor is the eco unless you want to buy a new 16. I like the sport slightly better then the Laramie but hard to find with air sus and sunroof. I think if I pay cash instead of lease I should get a 14-15. There are a few used with less than 10k miles on them for around 37-41k on the hemi laremie. Ecos are 46k+.

I plan on keeping it for the next 8 to 10 years, I rarely tow, and have never owned a truck before.

Is the extra cost of the Eco really worth it? The mpg is amazing, so I just don't know. Diesel here is 2.30, gas is 1.85. I only do about 15k miles a year, lots of city. I hear the Eco does about 800mi a tank vs 350m on hemi.

There must be a formula or something. Do All you 5.7 hemi guys hate your fuel mpg? Is it even and issue?

I get between 14 to 15 mpg in town with my hemi. For the little bit you drive and very little towingI think you would be better of getting the hemi or even the 6 cylinder pentastar. Being the end of the year you can buy a new truck, with the discounts, for the price of a newer used truck.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Here are some numbers for you:

Hemi mileage:

24a21fb0b0febcfaed31e2eecdf67bf1.jpg

Ecodiesel mileage:

9dfb19192c58b924002bbd04cd3067c4.jpg

Hemi fuel cost based on fuelly mpg:

c490c2d400fb494baba9f2b1cbc0c4ed.jpg

Ecodiesel fuel cost based on fuelly mpg:

c96d3fedbc10d2f900370c5c5d3e17eb.jpg

For you it doesn't make sense based on your fuel costs. However if you ever plan to tow the ecodiesel will get much better mileage and it will have a better resale value, (how much is yet to be determined. However the Jeep ecodiesels have really held their value).

Have you considered what your fuel costs are in the summer? Diesel goes up in the winter because of the use of home heating fuel.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jaxerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks a lot for providing that, that helps. It's just stuck in my head that the eco-is better in many ways. If only I could find a good deal on one I would get it, but I can't seem to find one used 14 or 15 out there

I did find a 14 Laramie Limited with 12,000 miles black, runningboards, painted bumpers for 37k

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Keep in mind the eco maintenance cost is a bit higher too.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

bigfoot2219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP, I feel you and I have similar requirements. I came from a loaded Chevy Avalanche, and did not anticipate the work RAM must have put in since I truck shopped last in 2007. I have had my Ram for 11 months and tacked on 13,728 as of my drive home today. I commute across town from a suburb and I don't usually take the highway because I am about at very congested times. I drove the Eco D and loved how refined and smooth it was, I loved it's purrrr. There were a few things that stopped me from taking her home. #1 applied power, it was not by ANY means gutless and in fact it has a lot of low end grunt;but by no means is it a racetruck. Not that I need a race truck but I had driven the hemi and was confident I could handle all the tasks of my daily drive, passing,lane changes, towing etc. I do have 2 trailers, 1 is a boat the other is utility. So at least once a month my truck pulls 2-6k around. EcoD would have had no problem with towing. #2 cost of fuel/driving habits. This was very minor for me, I knew that if either setup did better than my Avalanche that I would be pleased. However, I know I don't do enough highway driving to ever get the best mileage. Around town I average between 15.5-16.3. It's like a bubble and I'm always in that range (no lift,or mods). #3 $$$$$up front and in maintenance. This was the big one, I had deals working for a blackout express that had great options including katzkin leather,hemi,backup cam,hands free call 3.92 8 speed 4x4 etc. (none of the tech goodies were available in 07 on my Avalanche) it did have heated seats and a sunroof though! I also had deals working for a big horn with hemi and a Laramie with ecoD. Both hemi trucks they were willing to come down 10k off sticker. The ecoD they were only willing to come down 3,500$. So at the end of the day I had all stickers lined up $43K, 47k, & right at 50k, I left with my black express CC 4x4 for $32,700 and let the ecoD sit.

Flash forward and I love my truck. I do have a buddy that works in the pest treatment industry that uses his truck for work and he bought a nice ecoD just before the summer and he absolutely loves it, and I like all the bells and whistles. Pretty nice to have the Taj Mahal of an office..on wheels! Sorry for the long post, it's a big purchase and I think you will come to the correct decision for yourself. Ultimately...there is no wrong answer; I don't think I'll ever be driving another Chevy. I'm grabbing life by the horns from now on

Will-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
(12000 mi/yr)/(24.1 mi/gal diesel) * $2.30/gal = $1145/year on diesel.
(12000 mi/yr)/(16.1 mi/gal gas) * $1.85/gal = $1379/year on gas.

Diesel costs $4000 more. ($4000)/($234/yr) = 17 years before your fuel savings will pay for the extra cost of the diesel. This doesn't factor in the additional money for DEF and higher maintenance costs.

I went through the same thing deciding between eco diesel and hemi.

OP
OP
J

jaxerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for the great input you guys. Really helps make a decision.

OP
OP
J

jaxerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
(12000 mi/yr)/(24.1 mi/gal diesel) * $2.30/gal = $1145/year on diesel.
(12000 mi/yr)/(16.1 mi/gal gas) * $1.85/gal = $1379/year on gas.

Diesel costs $4000 more. ($4000)/($234/yr) = 17 years before your fuel savings will pay for the extra cost of the diesel. This doesn't factor in the additional money for DEF and higher maintenance costs.

I went through the same thing deciding between eco diesel and hemi.

It looks right, but sounds wrong, lol. Many people and other forums (ramdiesel) say it only takes about 5yrs to make up the difference, so if planing to keep the truck for many yrs, go Eco... But I can see your good Will hunting type formula, and math doesn't lie. Hmmmm

Galion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It looks right, but sounds wrong, lol. Many people and other forums (ramdiesel) say it only takes about 5yrs to make up the difference, so if planing to keep the truck for many yrs, go Eco... But I can see your good Will hunting type formula, and math doesn't lie. Hmmmm

This of course doesn't count any other factors like resale value (the diesel should hold a little more) or maintenance costs (the diesel should cost more). Really the only way an Eco Diesel will pay for itself over the Hemi is for someone who tows regularly, that's where the eco would win over the Hemi in the long run.

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I have a loaded '14 Hemi Sport CC - don't hate the mileage. Make sure you thoroughly test drive all variants you're considering buying. Mileage was semi important to me, but options and acceleration took priority. However if mileage is somehow THE most important thing about your truck, the diesel is your best bet.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My advice to people who ask this question is generally the only way to justify the diesel purchase is just buy it if you want it. The first half ton diesel to be sold in years would be cool to have. Will it save you money, probably not, but if you'll be happier in it, then buy one!! Diesels are awesome but I couldn't justify it in a half ton trim. The 2500 Cummins is about the same price as the Eco where I am, so if I were to get a diesel it would be a 2500.

OP
OP
J

jaxerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just bought a laremie limited! Buyers remorse already. Will I regret it? Only time will tell.

OP
OP
J

jaxerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
2015 Laramie Limited, granite color, 6000 miles They wanted 42, I got it down to 39000, and added a seven-year bumper to bumper and a few oil changes for 1800. Taxes fees and all that BS 44,700.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
2015 Laramie Limited, granite color, 6000 miles They wanted 42, I got it down to 39000, and added a seven-year bumper to bumper and a few oil changes for 1800. Taxes fees and all that BS 44,700.
What engine did you get?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk